Pension | MassCops

Pension

Discussion in 'Corrections' started by alien45546, Jul 18, 2013.

1. alien45546

alien45546 MassCops Member

looking on a link or info how the CO pension plan works and how much we receive? If this in another post, I apologize and can someone direct me to it

2. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I'm sure HR will explain all that to you.

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Guessing state corrections ?

10 years = vested ( if you leave it's a small pension and keep your health ins. )

Earn 1 1/2 % each year after.

20 years = 50% any age

Wait till your age 55 and it jumps to 2% a year

Age 55 or older, 32 years = 80% max

Buy back up to 4 years military service and retire early.

4. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

alien, you get the job yet????????????

frank and niteowl1970 like this.
  5. alien45546

Does any overtime count in ur pension that you receive when you retire or is it just the highest years of your base salary that count? thanks for the info btw

6. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

You haven't even gotten on the job yet and you're asking pension questions?

[​IMG]

Johnny Law, ShmitDiesel and frank like this.
  7. alien45546

im trying to decide on some facts in choosing either between MA DOC or the BOP thats why i'm asking these questions. So with that in mind, can you please answer the question I asked above

8. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

No overtime does not factor into your (come on man, spelling it ur is just plain lazy) pension.

pahapoika likes this.
  9. alien45546

thanks

10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Pensions at Group 4 are calculated at the average of your last 3 years salary, based on "repeated, regular, and non-expiring compensation ". IOW, that means that any compensation that you receive regularly (uniforms, holiday, education incentive, etc.) and have no expiration date, are all pensionable.

pahapoika and alien45546 like this.
  11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Anyone hired after April 2, 2012 has their pension calculated at a 5 year average, not 3. Thanks, Deval.

pahapoika likes this.
  12. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

I was looking the other day at group 4 vs groups 1 30yrs at an avg. of 60k for best 3 is almost a $1000 a month difference.

That of course is because "campus police" is not a dangerous occupation....

13. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

The court officers are not group 4 which blows my mind given the fact they spend 40 hrs a week with some of the most influential people in the state and need the big dime to get on in the first place.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Yet ADA's are.

Go figure.

pahapoika likes this.
  15. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

And they have to work a few years longer to retire as well. Democrats, the middle class' friend,....yeah right.

pahapoika and Bloodhound like this.
  16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Oh yeah that too. Minimum of age 57 to retire with full pension instead of 55.

17. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

As far as I know at the Doc OT does figure in our pension calculations as does holiday pay.

I could be wrong so don't take it as fact, as soon as I get my new contract book I will look.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

alien45546 likes this.
  18. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

As too your other question there is plenty of room for advancement in the Doc whether you are a good Co or not. And there are 18 prisons in mass so you can move around if that's your thing.

Both agency's have their pros and lots of cons. I see people leave the Doc for police and fire all the time.

My advice would be to take the first one that you get a offer from you never know when the next academy will start and you could be waiting a long time. Just ask the folks who were waiting for the last MSP academy.

Keep all your questions to one thread please.

Goodluck.

alien45546 and frank like this.
  19. car-ramrod

car-ramrod MassCops Member

My old drill instructor use to always say that we didn't even have the job in the academy. Focus on getting into the academy and getting through it. Start that pension clock so if you do end up getting on a police or fire department, your time carries over. You could also make a very good career over at the DOC as well. Promotions seem very fair as it is all your test score seniority and any points you have from training classes.

Retirement for DOC does NOT include overtime, no public sector job in this state includes overtime in pension calculations. If you work 20 years, you can retire at 50% of the average of your 3 best years regardless of age. This is a nice benefit as police and fire do not have this. You max out at 80% after 32 years and age 55, and figuring out the rest in too much math for me. There is a chart on the mass.gov website and you can add up the percentages depending on your age too.

20. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

IMHO the BOP would ultimately defeat the DOC in the narrow context of your pension question...BOP is FERS plus Social Security. DOC you fall off the Social Security map. In addition, with BOP you have Federal L.E. credentials and Federal GL-pay/retirement which means it all transfers into other Federal L.E. Agencies Like DEA, USSS, Marshals, ATF, etc. DOC has 18 prisons in the Commonwealth, and the BOP has 182 facilities (ten times more) throughout the U.S.
    Good luck!!!!
    o_O

alien45546 likes this.
  21. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

Car-ramrod: Thank you for correcting my error on the pension.
    Very well said and spot on.

My only regret in joining the Doc is not doing it 10 years earlier.

Sent from my GALAXY S3

22. alien45546

Can someone briefly describe what are IMHO and FERS because i have no idea what they are. And Secondly, it was my understanding that with the Federal BOP you still pay into SS. So when you retire the Federal pension decreases the exact amount that the SS pays. With a state pension you no longer pay into SS, and they pay the pension until you die. So basically isn't the samething or doesn't it even out to the samething? So which one is better based on this?

23. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

IMHO is in my humble opinion.

The federal pension is better but the Doc pays more and you can collect after 20 years regardless of age.

Like I said apply to both and take the first one that you get a offer from. You can always jump If a better opportunity arises.

alien45546 likes this.
  24. luckydog

luckydog MassCops Member

FERS = Federal Employee Retirement System. 3 parts, a "pension" based on a % of your high 3. (don't ask me to begin to explain the calculations, there are numerous online calculators and such to help you with the math) the TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) which is a 401K with some agency matching up to a certain %, then there is Social Security.
    My only advice about the federal system is try and max out the TSP contributions every year 'cause Social Security is not going to exist by the time you or I get around to collection time......IMHO

alien45546 and mpd61 like this.
  25. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Yeah Buddy! I better get me some!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

pahapoika likes this.