Pearl Harbor survivor, greeter at memorial dies at age 99 | MassCops

Pearl Harbor survivor, greeter at memorial dies at age 99

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Dec 14, 2016.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Published December 13, 2016
    Associated Press
    Facebook0 Twitter0 Email Print

[​IMG]
    In this Nov. 22, 2013 file photo, Herb Weatherwax, then 96, poses for a photo with Hau'ula Elementary School sixth graders, from left, Dawson Langinbelik, Rachel Cheney, Frank Kojima, La'a Beatty, Chase Colleado, Makoa Ahquin-Soren and Keola Baily, as he greets visitors to the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. (AP Photo/Audrey McAvoy)

HONOLULU – An Army veteran who survived the attack on Pearl Harbor that brought the U.S. into World War II and later volunteered at the historic site has died at age 99.

Herb Weatherwax greeted people several times a week at the visitors center of the memorial for the USS Arizona, a battleship that sank in the Japanese attack. He cruised around in a motorized scooter and wore a cap embroidered with "Pearl Harbor Survivor" as he posed for photos and educated visitors.

Weatherwax died Monday, National Park Service spokeswoman Rebecca Schwab said.

2. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

No doubt his comrades in Heaven welcomed him home with open arms. God Bless him and all his contemporaries, living and deceased.

HistoryHound likes this.
  3. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

God bless him.and the the others like him. it was that generation that made this country.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  4. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

RIP hero. Thank you for your service.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

And many of the Millennials who just might destroy it. :(