Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PEABODY — New York City’s 24,000 police officers don’t get Sept. 11 as a paid holiday, but the Peabody police do.

“We don’t do it, and I’ve never heard of it,” said Joseph Mancini, a spokesman for the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association of New York City.

The four-year Peabody police contract, which the city released Thursday, gives time-and-a-quarter pay to any officer who works on Sept. 11. The day of the terrorist attacks has yet to be recognized as a holiday nationally or statewide.

The contract clause is a first for Peabody, and from all indications, the Police Department is the first in the state, if not the nation, to get Sept. 11 as a paid holiday.

Representatives of other police unions and public safety agencies — who oversee nearly 1,000 unions in all — couldn’t point to a single instance where it’s happened elsewhere.

“I’m not aware of any IBPO locals that have negotiated 9/11 as a paid holiday,” said Stephanie Zaiser, spokeswoman for the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, which represents 250 unions in the United States.

It was news to Rich Roberts of the International Union of Police Associations, which represents 500 unions in the United States and the Caribbean.

Events like Sept. 11 and Pearl Harbor stay with you, Roberts said. He had no objection to police officers in Peabody getting Sept. 11 as a paid holiday.

“It’s the single greatest loss of law enforcement in history,” he said.

Craig Fischer, a spokesman for Police Executive Research Forum, said no one in his Washington, D.C.-based think tank has heard of such a thing.

“From my experience, I don’t know of any other contract that has this,” said attorney Ken Grace of the Massachusetts Coalition of Police.

The coalition, an affiliate of the AFL-CIO, represents 154 unions across the state, according to its Web site.

Besides their Sept. 11 pay, Peabody officers will receive a 13 percent pay raise over four years, increased bonuses for longevity, and weapons training pay increases. The city also agreed to use uniformed police officers for detail duty.

In exchange, the police will pay a larger portion of their health care costs, more for doctor’s office and emergency room visits and more for their prescriptions. They also agreed to submit to random drug testing.

Assistant City Solicitor Daniel Cocuzzo, who negotiated on the city’s behalf, said previously that he was happy that officers were willing to step up to the plate and negotiate the testing.

Grace, who sat at the table with Peabody’s negotiations team, said the Sept. 11 paid holiday recognizes the sacrifice that public safety workers make in their profession.

Sept. 11 and Pearl Harbor stand apart in national history, Grace said. He said the police officers’ holiday is a way of thinking about the people who lost their lives that day.

“They’re proud of the way those people acted in that profession, and they try to do the same kind of sacrifice in their daily job,” he said of Peabody officers.

The City Council still needs to vote to fund the new contract for this year.

SALEM NEWS

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
Why should anyone be paid holiday pay for working on 9-11?
Hey Al Queda, by your comment or theory, why should anyone be paid holiday pay for ANY holiday? Where are you from....you don't think this should be a worthy holiday situation? I'll leave the insults to the rest... they're better at it than me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Al Queda, by your comment or theory, why should anyone be paid holiday pay for ANY holiday? Where are you from....you don't think this should be a worthy holiday situation? I'll leave the insults to the rest... they're better at it than me.
As well as you all know, EVERY other "paid/official holiday" is a glorified shopping day... Veterans day sales, labor day sales, Independence Day sales.... I don't think we need Sept 11 turned into a "Holliday" and we certainly don't need "holiday pay" on that day any more the we do on Dec 7th....

·
Subscribing Member
927 Posts
As well as you all know, EVERY other "paid/official holiday" is a glorified shopping day... Veterans day sales, labor day sales, Independence Day sales.... I don't think we need Sept 11 turned into a "Holliday" and we certainly don't need "holiday pay" on that day any more the we do on Dec 7th....
I couldn't agree more.
While I understand Peabody's decision I also dont want Sept 11 to become trivialized as just another day off/extra pay day.
September 11th is no more horrific than December 7th. We all made this big deal about the terrorists not changing our lifestyles and our "American ways".
Go to work, honor the dead and the heroes of that day and be American.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Are you two kidding me? How this isn't a national holiday already is a disgrace. If the powers that be in Peabody see this as a day to honor their Public Services then kudos to them . If the holidays set forth allow people to reflect even if for a moment then they have done their job. If you two recall, in addition to to the incredible amount of lives lost 60 POLICE officers were killled on that day. I would venture to guess that is the most in US History. If they come to an agreement that honoring their own officers as a way of thanking the officers killed on that day then good for them!!I

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
The 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, signified the Armistice Agreement which ended The Great War, aka WWI. This is now called Veteran's Day, to commemorate the sacrifice of all veterans from all wars. Why not all of us take September 11th off as a Law Enforcement holiday, or a f*cking "shopping day", to honor the SINGLE GREATEST LOSS OF AMERICAN LIVES, to include hundreds of cops and firefighters, in modern day, from one attack on our soil. Don't know about the rest of you, but Sep 11 changed how I live.

How quickly we go back to our miserable, disengaged, pretentious lives.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Cops net holiday for 9/11

Peabody's contract shocks victim's kin

Peabody cops will pocket extra pay to work Sept. 11 or take a day off, thanks to a new union contract.
Even though the date commemorating the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on America is neither a state nor federal holiday, officers who work it will receive time-and -a-quarter compensation, while others will have the option of taking the day off, said Manny Costa, president of the Peabody Police Benevolent Association.
One 9/11 victim's brother, contacted by the Herald, voiced disgust.
"I'm really shocked," said the brother, who asked that his name be withheld. "They're just taking advantage of a tragic event for their own gain, and I don't appreciate it."
Costa insists this isn't about money, but respect.
"Every year we memorialize the losses of all the brother officers and firemen. That was the reason for it," he said.
The Oct. 2 contract also awards police a 13-percent raise over the next four years.
In exchange for the Sept. 11 holiday, the union gave health insurance concessions and agreed to drug testing, while the city pledged to use only paid police details for road projects.
Police in Peabody, as well as Derry, N.H., may be the first in the country to adopt Sept. 11 as a holiday. Even the Big Apple, which lost dozens of cops and hundreds of firefighters in the collapse of the World Trade Center twin towers, doesn't recognize it as a holiday and provide no special pay, said Joseph Mancini, a spokesman for the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association of New York City.
"I've never heard of it," Mancini said.
Michael Widmer, president of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation, said Peabody is sending the wrong message in this nightmarish economy.
"Cities and towns will almost certainly see cuts in state aid and they need to reduce expenditures, not add new benefits," Widmer said.
But some police union groups applauded the move.
"That's a great idea. Good for the city of Peabody. That's a significant day in American history," said Medford officer Harry MacGilvray, president of the Massachusetts Municipal Police Coalition. Stephanie Zaiser, spokeswoman for the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, which represents 250 unions, commended Peabody for acknowledging "9/11 as a day ... to memorialize the greatest single day of sacrifice and loss in public safety history."

(2) Comments | Post / Read Comments

http://bostonherald.com/news/region...r_9_11_holiday:_Peabody_s_move_shocks_family/

G

·
9/11 should be remembered/recognized every year. I do not want extra pay for that day. All I want is Americans to remember that there is a danger out there, beyond their cubicles of ignorance, and public safety officials working to fight it. If extra pay is giving due to the graciousness of the citizenry, then fine. It should not be bargained for.

G

·
If extra pay is giving due to the graciousness of the citizenry, then fine. It should not be bargained for.
Ummm.....if you're a member of a union, extra pay is ALWAYS bargained for.

Based on a sample of talk radio callers, most people apparently don't realize that the Peabody Police Department works 24/7; they apparently believe that Peabody will be declaring anarchy every September 11th by letting all the cops go home. :rolleyes:

Everyone needs to ask themselves a couple of things;

1) How many members of the United States Armed Forces have been killed in all the wars & conflicts we've had?

2) How many people actually take time out on Memorial Day to remember those veterans, instead of packing the car and racing for Route 3 South to be first down the Cape that weekend?

If you've ever had a cookout, party, or anything other than a solemn remembrance on Memorial Day, I don't want to hear any bitching about the Peabody PD getting extra pay for 9/11.

·
Registered
528 Posts
9/11 should be remembered/recognized every year.

All I want is Americans to remember that there is a danger out there, beyond their cubicles of ignorance, and public safety officials working to fight it.

I agree 100% that 9-11 should be recognized every year, the same with Dec. 7th, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, Law Enforcement Memorial Day, etc...

I also agree that it would be nice if the public remembered the dangers out there and the men and women who do their best to protect them. Unfortunately, the public doesn't give a rat's as# about those who protect them, whether police or fire or the military. If they did, they would be out on the town common at the ceremonies, they would be the first to step up and say something in support of us...they would actually put the flags at half staff on May 15th as REQUIRED BY LAW. (I have actually had to walk into the post office and remind them of the law.) They would not look at it as a day to go shopping for sales or a day at the beach..

just my two cents

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Mass. police officers get Sept. 11 holiday

The Associated Press

PEABODY, Mass. - Sept. 11 will be a paid holiday for police officers in one Massachusetts city despite the opposition of some critics.
The Peabody city council approved funds for a new police contract Thursday night by a vote of 7 to 4.
The union says the new holiday is a way to honor those who responded to the 2001 terrorist attacks. But critics have seen it as exploiting a national tragedy.
Council member Arthur Athas, who voted against the contract, says the idea of a paid 9-11 holiday "doesn't sit right."
But member Barry Osborne says no one intended to make light of the attacks.
Officers who work Sept. 11 will get an extra 25 percent pay.

Wire Service

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I can see 9/11 being a National Day of Mourning, but a holiday? The civilian population already has enough contempt for us, trying to take away our details and clamping down on our overtime. So thank you Peabody Police for making all of us look more like a bunch of money grabbing jerks. Any one here who thinks that this was a good idea, needs to stop and think about it. Think realy hard. MMPC has been working their tails off to prevent flaggers from taking away our only other extra source of income. When Police detail opponents read stuff like that in the paper and see it in the news, it only gives more credibility to their vindictive and malicious campaign against us.

I once again want to reiterate that we can not celebrate deaths of thousands of people by making that day a holiday. Make it a day of remembrance and do not seek extra pay for it. You want more money? Go take an extra road job. For those who do not agree with me, I respect your opinion so respect mine.

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
I frankly don't care whether it's a national "day of rememberance", "day of mourning" or a "holiday"--as long as it is both mourned and remembered. IMHO, what label you place on the calendar and whether the 9-5 folks get a day off is irrelevent.

People who get pissed off on Memorial Day because the 10 minute road closure for the parade of VFW colorguard and Boy Scouts headed to place flags on dead vet's graves' is making them late for the cookout also won't care to remember Dec. 7th and Sept. 11th whether they get a day off or extra pay or not. Giving people either doesn't encourage mourning and rememberance as it used to, when America wasn't wired 24/7 and the country took life a little bit slower and thought about things a little more. The unfortunate fact today is that some people care and some don't.

In any event, all shall abide by what's negotiated --if the benefit is to be given, I just would like to have seen it given to FDNY, NYPD, and the PANYNJ before anyone else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts