Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm alittle fuzzy on whether you can PC someone from their house.

situation: Mother of two (15 and 13 yr old) drunk at 10:00am. Father is away for the day. Mother also had a ankle braclet. DSS shows up and mother refused entry of DSS. Convinced her to let them in for 30min. Once DSS came in the house she kicked them out. Refused at first to let children talk to DSS. She became very aggravated at the situation and insisted everyone just leave so she can go to bed.
EMS shows up, she refuse help.
Can you PC her in this situation?

She eventually concented to got to the hospital, but then caused a scene down there.

What would of you done?

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
One need not be in a public place in order to be placed in protective custody. If the shoe fits, scoop 'em.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
My vote; she gets PC'd. You also do the paperwork for DSS ( I know they were there). This covers you and your department's "6".

Where was Daddy by the way??? If nothing else, this raises the flag for DSS (Ankle bracelet excluded). What a charming lady!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If she required medical treatment, EMS could take her under consent for mentally incompetent adults because she was drunk. As a MA EMT, if she needed treatment, I'd request police for assistance in restraining her and, depending on the situation, section 12'ing her, but wouldn't need her to be placed in PC for medical treatment. If she needed a psych eval, but wasn't a risk to herself or others, I'd either a) obtain orders from medical control to restrain her and bring her to the hospital - that frees me of any liability, or b) ask the police to PC her.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
MGL Chpt 123 sec12 allows you to pink slip her on your own with or without medical approval. EMTs will bring her to said hospital emergency room for psych evaluation and detoxification. The statue has the good faith clause in it for the officer's civil protection. Remember you have to articulate why failure of hospitalization would create serious harm by reason of mental illness.

I used to work at the Shattuck Hospital and have done this more times than care to remember!! :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.