Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give some insight/info about Paxton PD. ? Yes I know they have a P/T openning, that's why I'm asking.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
I live in Paxton and I'm on the job for the great city :wink: :lol: next door. It's quiet here, so if you're looking for something to get into, it's not here... Rumored they can only put 30 miles on a cruiser per shift due to budget... Small town politics, chief left (fired??) and except for 1 guy with the "hero cop" mentality the guys are pretty cool... They just got a new CVPI so I'm sure that used up their budget... Town otherwise doesn't want to pay them what they're worth and the "good citizens" voted down a tax hike for public safety :roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
They just hired a guy from Rutland PD for the most recent PT position. When they hire out for the part-timers they usually have a person in mind before the posting even gets into CJIS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Politics plays a major role. They are paid average. Old chief now working somewhere else (sheriffs dept) . Turnover rate is not as high as surrounding small towns (rutland). Who from rutland was hired anyone know? Not a dept to apply for if you want the hero attitude. Small town, small crime, large politics. No budget ever. Didnt they run out of gas money last budget and now they limit 30 miles per shift. people only want you when they are in trouble. same everywhere.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, they did run out of gas money a 1 1/2 years ago, guys had to double up in the cruisers and there was a 30 mile limit on patrols.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Easton and Bigdog15 I guess you know every full-timer past and present. Obviously you don't and you would never say that to the face of some of the guys I know past and present of Paxton PD. I went to the academy with a former officer of that department and he would probably turn you into a little dog. A officer from my PD use to work there and he left because of the money issue, but he use to hammer in Paxton. (300 + citations a year and 40 + arrests a year) Not bad for a small town, I guess it is what you make of it. I do agree with the money problems and they did have problems; however, things are moving in a better direction at this point. Also, nothing happens in Paxton?? Oh, wait wans't the Chief of police shot and killed because a couple of scumbags doing a b&e ambushed him in the woods. I would not consider that nothing, unless you are from Beirut. If anyone wants to sit on their ass and wait for calls to come in then don't go to Paxton, but if you want to hunt for AR's and write alot of gigs then it is a great place to start.

·
Registered
61 Posts
marine you are correct. . I just know about the budget and the downfall of it. I wouldn't generalize the whole department in any manner. Remember one thing we are all on the same team. At least I think so.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Truthbetold we are all on the same team, but I will quote a friend of mine who was on Paxton PD, "cops are their own worst enemies". How true it is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Barlow named Paxton police officer
PAXTON — Jason Barlow of Leicester was appointed as a part-time police officer last night by the Board of Selectmen, acting on the recommendation of Chief Robert R. Desrosiers.

Officer Barlow replaces Mark Chase, who resigned. The department has eight full-time officers, including the chief and two sergeants, and five part-time officers.

Officer Barlow, who is moving to Hubbardston, has worked as a dispatcher in Paxton and Hubbardston and as a part-time officer in Rutland.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Paxton is a good department. Chief Rob Derosiers has been working hard to square things away. He's a new Chief and he as a great bunch of guys behind him. The money is not very good. The benefits, well there really isnt any. Paxton is a great place to work with a great bunch of guys. The few surrounding towns (ie Hubbardston) are bad news. Bad people, stay far away.....

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just a reminder, that this is a public forum, open to anyone who chooses to read. A public discussion of who is a "rat" is neither professional, or appropriate for this board. Any reference to such discussion has been edited or removed. If you want to discuss who you feel is a "rat" do so through email, or PM. This board is not the place. Please feel free to continue your discussion of Paxton PD here. I do not want to close this thread, as I feel it has been productive, but will if necessary. Thank you for your cooperation.

·
MassCops Member
134 Posts
I used to work for Paxton PD. Like anyplace, there are pro's and con's. There is very little call volume. I can remember weeks on end during the winter when we wouldn't have a call for service on the midnight shift. But if you want to hunt, you can find a variety of things via Ch. 90. However, that sometimes rubs certain people the wrong way. I think in the three plus years I was there, the entire Dept. made no more than 10-12 domestic arrests, and averaged about 65-70 arrests a year. The people in the town are very nice, and support the Police unlike I've seen anywhere else. The equipment is pretty good. The station itself is not the greatest, but I heard Chief Desrosiers is working on a new public safety building. The Chief is a really good, down to earth guy. But like anywhere, there are clicks. The majority of the Officers are knowledgeable, honest and loyal. What more could you ask for. The pay is comparable to the area PD's. I think it starts around 37k and tops out at 43k for patrol Officers, and the benies are good. Overall Paxton is a really good place to work.

·
At your six
209 Posts
I also used to work for Paxton PD, both PT and FT. Not a bad department, but a bit too quiet. The mindset of the PD is geared more towards reactive police work rather than proactive. If you are a "hard-charger" (term used by one of the sgts), then Paxton would not be a good place for you to work. True, yearly ARs were up over a hundred a couple years back, but recently its more like fifty a year. Most of the ARs you'd see were for minor 94c violations, OUI, or sus licenses. Yes, the chief was shot in the line of duty back in 1994 on a mutual aid call for a neighboring town (Holden).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.