Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting together a proposal for my dept in the use of patrol rifles. Are there any dept that allow or use patrol rifles. Also what are the pros and cons to using patrol rifles, if any.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You could get in touch with Chief Ron Glidden for info. [Lee PD]

Ron teaches an MPI class (held at Marlboro HI), classroom only on how, why, what, etc. for implementing patrol rifles for a department. No range work in htis course.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My department deploys AR-15s. There are several patrol rifle instructors that in turn trained certain officers from each watch. Those officers take the rifles with them whenever they are assigned a sector car.

The rifles are great to have. I really can not think of a down side to having them. The main thing is proper training and knowing what types of situations they should be used in.

The only other problem we encountered was finding the best way to store them in the cruisers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Growing up in the Vietnam era, I remember all the cruisers in the small towns around metropolitan Boston used to have the shotgun mounted up front in a vertical position where the radio system now is.
I don't know if because of the lack of use, or because of the increase in the "liberal" population, but it met it's demise years ago.

It took a tragedy, as always does, to get more fire power on the street.
Since that nut Mucko walked into the office in Wakefield, many of the departments in the area now carry AR-15's. I believe this is the most popular cruiser rifle in the nation today.

I know some of the cons they were worried about was liability/security {if stolen} and over penetration. You won't see many in cruisers in the heavier populated areas of the state because of this.
In these areas, they seem to be reserved for swat teams.

My opinion...give street cops everything they can get their hands on.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
My department recently started deploying the SIGARMS SG 551 on patrol, As lt.drebbin indicated we did the same with the training and have a few on the road each shift.

As Clouseau mentioned there are concerns of the possibility that the rifle may be stolen from the cruiser. One discussion we had at the station was having a block on the firearm so that it would not be able to fire full auto. Our policy states that at no time are we to use anything other than single shot, plus the officers ability to control the weapon at full auto is greatly reduced so why not just block the full auto option. The lawyers out there would have a field day knowing that you had an option to limit the firearms ability to fire full auto and did not take that precaution in the event the weapon was stolen and used in that way.

As far as the over penetration, we carry two mags (side by side) both are clearly labeled (OUTSIDE) and (INSIDE). I do not have the specs on the ammo right now as I type this but you can conclude what the reasoning is for this. I always load the rifle for INSIDE, if need be you can switch when needed.

PM me for more details and the wording of our dept. policy.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,710 Posts
Bottom line;

It's difficult to beat the AR-15 in ANY configuration for patrol carbine.
:lol:
Shotguns do NOT have great range or accuracy
Shotguns will NOT defeat bad people in Body Armor
:cry:
AR-15 has so much support in armorers schools/tools, accessories, and training available.
8)
Yes,
There are applications for Shotgun and SMG. However, in the context of Patrol, the "patrol carbine" is more versatile and accurate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Officers in my dept have a choice,They can take a semi auto shotgun or there choice of a fullsize ar15 or a shorty version of the same weapon. Officers Must take something per policy

·
8,710 Posts
USMCMP5811";p="64920 said:
MPD61,

Is that you teaching a firearms class? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not a Firearms Instructor yet, I'm just the official photographer for the Hanson Rod & Gun Junior rifle team
:wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
my department outfits every shop with a tube(shotgun) and only those officers quailfied with the upr(ar15) usually 2-3 per watch will take them out, and store them in the trunk of the car. the shot gun is mounted in the driver's cab on the divider inbetween the passenger and driver

·
8,710 Posts
Another trinket to ponder.........................

MPTC Shotgun Qual course starts at 25 Yards.
MPTC Rifle Qual starts at 50 Yards.

What do want in your car? :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.