Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a running program for someone who has to make a 1.5 mile timed run and HATES to run?? Looking for a program to follow to help get the times down.

·
Registered
148 Posts
All that I did was run the 6 laps 3-4 times a week. for about a month. Each time you do it, your time will be better. That is what worked for me. Do not use a treadmill to do your training. Being outside on the track is much more beneficial for you.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Try to run atleast 3 times a week. Mix it up a bit with long runs (min. 4 miles each run) and in order to get faster you have to do sprints. I like to incorporate sprints with my long runs. I will sprint to every other telephone pole when running roads. If I am at a track I will sprint the stadium stairs up and down as I go around.

G

·
Being in the marine corps for 5 years now and being a police officer in Maine the best way to get ready for a 1.5 pt run is to run more than that. Practice jogging 2 miles for a couple weeks until you get used to it. Like someone said before make sure you do sprints at the end of your run. It's the only way to increase your stamina as well as your speed. After a couple weeks try to run 3 miles. So even if you feel like shit on the day of you pt test, you will still do great. Hell i ran 6 miles in the corps, and my test is for only 3 miles. I had pneumonia and I did the 3 mile test in 15 minutes flat. Run every other day and eat healthy. Be patient. It comes with time and working hard at it.

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
^ all good advice. I will add that on the day of the run, give it hell. You are not going to die. Even if you puke at the end, give it your all. Never give up, never quit! Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also during your P.T. keep in the back of your mind that if you pass it you will most likely be hired. Then you will have 20 years of bull-frog dodging ahead of you. :wink:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Strait from the NYPD...

Week Activity Distance Time Frequency
Walk
1 Mile
20-17 Min.
5/Week

Walk
1.5 Miles
29-25 Min.
5/Week

Walk
2 Miles
35-32 Min.
5/Week

Walk
2 Miles
30-28 Min.
5/Week

Walk/Jog
2 Miles
27 Min.
5/Week

Walk/Jog
2 Miles
26 Min.
5/Week

Walk/Jog
2 Miles
25 Min.
5/Week

Walk/Jog
2 Miles
24 Min.
4/Week

Jog
2 Miles
23 Min.
4/Week

Jog
2 Miles
22 Min.
4/Week

Jog
2 Miles
21 Min.
4/Week

Jog
2 Miles
20 Min.
4/Week

·
Registered
159 Posts
jyanis";p="59740 said:
Anyone have a running program for someone who has to make a 1.5 mile timed run and HATES to run?? Looking for a program to follow to help get the times down.
I had six weeks to get ready for my PFT. I was out of shape bad. I started by running around the block it was March and cold. First time I stopped halfway around. Got in my car clocked it on the odometer one lap seven tenths of a mile. Next day ran a little further checked the time on the watch over twenty minutes under seven tenths of a mile. I was discouraged. I realized I was running on a hill the PFT is done on a track so I started training on a track.I bought comfortable light weight running shoes(you will need them for the academy anyway) and a stopwatch. I was former military and they do a two mile run so I trained by running two miles, my theory was if you run two miles at a good time we'll say twenty minutes you should have no problem with the mile and half run because you can increase the pace a little mentally you use to running a further distance and a mile and a half will seem easy. I would either run two miles a day before or after work sometimes both. I knew somebody that was also training for the PFT and he would bring his girlfriend to the park and they would run together he would run at her pace it was more or less like a date and wonders why he failed the run. You got to train alone with no distractions. I remember going on a strict diet of salads, slim fast,tuna and chicken. My theory was lighter is quicker.I lost thirty pounds in that six weeks. I took a multivitamin. I remember at the time saying to myself if you quit you will miss out on a Forty thousand dollar a year job. The pay has gone up since then. Anyway hope this was a little helpful just don't quit it can be done. Good luck with the test Saturday. JGH

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! I appreciate the time you have all taken to help out.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Doug";p="59773 said:
Being in the marine corps for 5 years now and being a police officer in Maine the best way to get ready for a 1.5 pt run is to run more than that. Practice jogging 2 miles for a couple weeks until you get used to it. Like someone said before make sure you do sprints at the end of your run. It's the only way to increase your stamina as well as your speed. After a couple weeks try to run 3 miles. So even if you feel like shit on the day of you pt test, you will still do great. Hell i ran 6 miles in the corps, and my test is for only 3 miles. I had pneumonia and I did the 3 mile test in 15 minutes flat. Run every other day and eat healthy. Be patient. It comes with time and working hard at it.
Who are you bullshitting Doug? You did not run a 15 min 3 mile PFT. So lemme get this straight, you did the 80 situps in less than 2 mins, 20 dead hang pull-ups, and ran a 15 min 3 mile PFT as you were suffering with pneumonia?

I find that very hard to believe Devil Dog. What was your MOS Hard Charger? Lemme guess, admin?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.