Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a part time SSPO academy?
Does anyone know anything about it if there is?
Thank you.

·
Registered
930 Posts
There was talk of starting something up a few years ago where it would be nights and weekends but I never heard anything more.

·
MassCops Member
115 Posts
Basically the only thing that is nights and weekends is the reserve academy and its mostly saturdays and some tues and thurs nites!!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
There was talk of starting something up a few years ago where it would be nights and weekends but I never heard anything more.
Yes, I believe the Mass Chiefs Assoc was planning on creating a new reserve class which was going to be called module 1. They were then going to create another academy called module 2, which if completed on nights and weekends would give you the full academy ticket.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
I'm not sure if they called it an SSPO reserve academy, but the MSP ran a reserve academy for a handful of small colleges and hospitals a couple of years ago at Framingham State College. I believe it was 3 or 4 weeks long, 40 hrs per week.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Yes, I believe the Mass Chiefs Assoc was planning on creating a new reserve class which was going to be called module 1. They were then going to create another academy called module 2, which if completed on nights and weekends would give you the full academy ticket.

Many states do this already. California being one. You complete one module and it certifies you to the reserve level, completing both gets you the complete POST cert I believe.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

Yes, and if I recall correctly this would increase the minimum hours of Reserve Academy to about 300 hours and the 2nd level would certify for FT status. They also would have another level for Auxiliary and "Jailer/Matron" level for about 110 hours. It's all on here somewhere. I think they were waiting for or in the process of approval from MPTC.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts