Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Para's just became Mass compliant (for adding a tiny hole known as the loaded chamber indicator :roll: ) Anyway wondering if anyone has shot one and their thoughts? They have some nice looking .45's for around $700.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
I had a compact Para .45 (P10??) about 5 yrs ago. Heavy and kept jamming no matter how clean I kept it. Traded it in for a Glock27. Good move IMO....

·
Registered
968 Posts
I purchased a SigP220 .45 this past week. I don't know to much about the para, but I can honestly say that this Sig is PERFECT.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I carry the Sig at work and own a Glock 27 for when I want to be a bit more discreet. I haven't had a problem with either weapon and highly recommend both.

·
Registered
157 Posts
para

Deuce said:
I had a compact Para .45 (P10??) about 5 yrs ago. Heavy and kept jamming no matter how clean I kept it.
This was the problem with Para's years ago, either you got a good one that fed and shot well, or you got a bow-wow. I have the P-14 (full size) and it has never jammed and is extremely accurate. However, I have heard of a few Para's that are in need of a little gun-smithing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Agree with you guys on both the Glock 27 and the Sig 220.. Fine weapons. Carried the Sig at work for 2 years (then my Dept. replaced the 14 year old Sigs with Glock 22C. No complaints on the 22C either. We sacrified caliber but gained magazine capacity.) Glock 27 for a carry gun.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have never been a big fan of Para and I haven't heard to many good things about them. I carry a Sig 2340 on duty, but I prefer an H&K USP. If you want the best you have to go with H&K; however, they are very expensive. Does anyone know if any departments have H&K as their duty weapon?

·
Registered
145 Posts
MARINECOP said:
Does anyone know if any departments have H&K as their duty weapon?
Middleboro is H&K USP country. As far as Para goes, I had a P-13 for years. The only reason I sold it is I had too many 45's and I never carried it. I had a very good one, no problems, very accurate, ect. I highly reccomend them (until Kimber comes to town, that is!).

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Back to the original question........I've owned a lot of different models of 1911-style pistols (Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Para, etc.) and would rate Para very highly. I owned a Para P-12 and had no issues with functioning, and the fit and finish were excellent. The one problem I had is that para's are a bit chunky and I prefer the slimness of the 1911 and the reliability of the single-stack magazine. Para also has the 1911-style pistols with a double-action trigger (the LDA or light double action). While I have never fired these, I have read many publications that give these LDA pistols high marks, with sweet, smooth 4-6lb trigger pull. For those less well informed, the LDA eliminates the need to carry a 1911-style pistol in the "cocked-and-locked" configuration (hammer back, safety engaged). Personally I like the single action trigger, but many feel uncomfortable carrying a cocked pistol. Para is an excellent pistol, make your choice wisely!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I forgot to mention, the one thing I did not like about my Para was the frame had a habit to surface rust alot. More than my other roscoe's. Other than that, it wuz da bomb yo!

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
i currently own a para p10. compact .45 (10rd double stack)and it is not a bad weapon it is a little heavy for a compact. it has jammed a few times, a few stove pipes mostly, the problem is that it is just very compact and has the double stack mag. so the problem is when the round "ramps" up from the mag to the pipe. the ramp is at a very sharp angle so rounds fired in semi rapid succesion has potential to stove pipe. if i were u and i was looking for a 1911 based .45 i would go w/ a kimber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts