Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting in a car accident in Palm Springs may be even more of a headache soon with a new policy that the Palm Springs Police Department is starting.

Starting Sunday Palm Springs Police will no longer take lengthy traffic reports after non injury car crashes. Instead, they'll give you your own form to fill out. It's your responsibility now.

Palm Springs Police say that not taking reports will save them time and get them to emergency calls quicker. Still, drivers we talked to are concerned about losing the police help.

Steve Christenson lives in Palm Springs.

“I think if the police are no longer going to be taking any reports there's won't be official documentation to say who was at fault. So you're going to have one person's word against the other and I think it's going to be a mess.”

Some valley insurance groups think the change may lead to more lawsuits after accidents.

Susan Miller is an insurance agent.

She says “I think in a lot of cases it will be missed a lot because that's that third party by the Police Department that takes measurements and takes statements from both parties that gives the adjuster and other insurance companies an avenue to go with when determining who's at fault.”

So if you get in a fender bender and you need something to prove you're not at fault, the new form from Palm Springs Police won't help much. Keeping a camera in your car and taking your own pictures of the accident could make the difference in an insurance claim.

“I feel that I should be carrying a digital camera at all times and take pictures to have of what actually happened,” says Steve Christenson.

Though drivers in Palm Springs may now have to worry more about car insurance problems after a crash, police dispatchers like Sylvia Rivera are happy they can focus their officer's attention more.

“We need to have them respond quicker. We need to have them available to be able to respond quickly.”

And if all goes as hoped those who wonder where a cop is when they need them may not have to wonder as long. They may just want to drive a little more carefully.

All other valley law enforcement agencies still plan to take full reports on all traffic accidents.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Not a bad idea. It doesn't say that they will stop responding, it just says they won't do reports -- which we all know is the Mother of time consumption. If they are at fault, cite 'em and move on.

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
LAPD doesn't respond to a property damage only collision either. If only vehicles are involved and there are no injuries, our dispatchers won't even send a car. The cars could both be in a million pieces but as long as no one is injured and niether driver is drunk, we still don't respond.
There are way too many accidents in the city to respond to all of them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That must be good for rush hour traffic, when the cars involved just sit there in the middle of the street while the idiots just stare at each other.

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
Clouseau";p="68852 said:
That must be good for rush hour traffic, when the cars involved just sit there in the middle of the street while the idiots just stare at each other.
Most (but not all) citizens out here know that we aren't gonna respond for a typical "fender bender." And if we do have to respond, it usually takes a while. There's just too much actual crime going on to handle most accidents.

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
KozmoKramer";p="68862 said:
LA - Are you saying the citizenry play nicer out here? :)
Oh I would definitely say the citizens play nicer back there. Although I can't say they drive better!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I like when there's a fender-bender on the highway in the left lane and the operators just get out and exchange paperwork right there. :shock:

·
Registered
83 Posts
WHY BOTHER TO RESPOND? UNLESS THERE IS INJURY, WE ARE WORKING FOR THE INSURANCE COMPANY.
THE QUOTES BY THE INSURANCE AGENTS ABOVE ARE B.S.! THE COP CAN PEG THE BLAME ON ANYBODY THEY WANT, BUT THE INSURANCE COMPANY UTIMATELY DECIDES WHO IS AT FAULT AND WHO WILL GET THE $$.
MY OWN STATIONARY, UNOCCUPED CAR WAS HIT IN A PARKING LOT AND THE DRIVER SCREWED. THE MILFORD PD ISSUED A TICKET TO THE OTHER DRIVER FOR LEAVING THE SCENE AFTER PROPERTY DAMAGE AND CLEARLY ARTICULATED IN THIER REPORT THE OTHER DRIVER WAS AT FAULT. THIER INSURANCE COMPANY DIDN'T CARE. THEY SAID THE REPORT IS JUST "EVIDENCE USED IN OUR OWN INVESTIGATION TO DETERMINE FAULT." MY OWN INSURANCE COMPANY CONFIRMED THAT.
BY THE WAY, DON'T YOU LOVE IT WHEN SOME POOR SAP SHOWS UP AT YOUR STATION ASKING FOR A COPY OF AN ACCIDENT REPORT BECAUSE HIS INSURANCE COMPANY TOLD HIM TO GO GET A COPY FROM THE COPS? I ALWAYS TELL THEM, "YOU PAY GOOD MONEY TO THEM TO DO THE LEG WORK. LET THEM REQUEST IT FROM THE RMV FOR $10." THEY USUALLY LEAVE THE STATION SEEING THE LIGHT. RHL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.