Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

MassCops Founder
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was interesting....

I have been seeing some guy on my beat with three to four cars on his property (unreg). We have been getting complaints about it so I had a talk with him and advised him of the city bylaws etc.. Within a week the guy had four PA temp tags on the vehicles.

I saw him again today with the four vehicles loading them on a transport truck, he said that they where being shipped to Guatemala. I guess this his little side business he runs out of his house. Buy a few junk cars/trucks for a few hundred each and ship them back home and get three times the price.

My question is how is this guy getting PA temp tags? He bought the cars in RI worked on them and stored them in MA and gets PA tags....

I looked into it a little (paperwork he had and the net) and apparently PA uses third party messenger services, just show them proof in insurance (30 / 60 / 90) day policies and you can get temp tags for the term of the insurance policy. The address for the owner of the vehicle on the temp reg was for NJ. When I went to question him further on it his knowledge of the english language seem to slip away from him.

https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/locator/locator.jsp

http://www.commonwealthautotags.com/

Registered
interesting stuff Gil.
i wonder if he was filling the compartments with drugs as a side business too? i am gathering that the vin# were intact and went to each temp tag? something stinks here and its not just the sudden inability to understand the english language.
does he need a license to sell these cars, and does he have to claim the income? either way great detective work.

MassCops Founder
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vehicles seem legit, vins match up with previous RMV records etc... There are actually three guys that I know of that do this type of business two of them ship the cars over seas the other one ships them down to Mexico and only deals in small PU trucks. Seems to me the freight charges alone would not be worth it. All of them are running these home based businesses out of their apartments on the east side.

I put in an inquiry with PA DOT, they said they would get back to me within three days...

MassCops Founder
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LeadDog17 said:
Doesn't this make him a Used Car Dealer? Subject to Ch. 140 sec 57-69? Is he licensed?
Something to look into but it's a little hard conducting investigations on mids no matter how trivial they are.

MassCops Founder
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PADOT got back to me, all the email contained was a phone number for LE inquires. If anybody needs it le me know.

Gil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts