Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday afternoon, my department quietly issued a memo implemeting a 15-minute callback rule for overtime shift coverage in Dispatch. If you are called to fill a shift and do not call back within 15 minutes, you need to write the Chief a to/from explaining why. No such policy was issued to the patrol division.

We are planning to go through the motions with our union, but I was wondering if anyone else had dealt with a similar situation.

Thanks,
-Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
does your Chief have nothing better to do then read to/froms that say "I wasn't home, didn't get the message until 2hours later."???

·
Registered
138 Posts
Two things to consider; first, is there anything in your Collective Bargaining Agreement that allows this? Second, does the department you work for pay for the pagers? If they do, they might be putting this in as a requirement to use issued equipment. Aside from department policy and procedures, there may also be city/town policy and procedures that they can also use...just a thought.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Dept. I work full time for calls for OT you have 5 minutes to return the call and then the Sgt. goes down the list. For Forced in Overtime if there are no takers the person from the previous shift get forced to work. This is determined by who has the least amount of OT hours in the quarter. If no one from the shift can be held over they call people from the next shift or the shift before. about 6 years ago a memo was put out that members of the dept had a duty to return phone calls. Our union filed the appropriate action and the subject has never been brought up again. I remember the pager issue, and the demand to bargain issue were both brought up afterward. alot of useless paperwork having to write a to/from everytime you dont return a phone call.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
To: Chief
Re: Didn't Call Back
I was in an area with no service. I didn't get your call.

End of story.

Seriously though. I can't tell you how many times I don't call back for overtime. I'm in the middle of a movie, and I wait until it's done. I'm on a trip, somewhere way outside my coverage area, or on a plane. 3AM and I don't hear it. Unfortunatley, if someone wants the overtime, they'll call back. If not, then the guy who's there gets held over. That's really the way it SHOULD work.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not been on in awhile, but I will attempt to answer all the questions at once here...

Thankfully the union stepped up, and after a couple meetings with the Chief, the memo has been rescinded. However, if we do not come up with our own callback policy, he will create his own again.

Our contract gives management the right to determine the OT policies, but we got it thrown out anyway.

Our current policy simply states anyone who does not call back in 15 minutes "loses the opportunity for that OT shift", and if you are at the top of our force-in list (it rotates; when you get ordered, you go to the bottom), you must call back.

There were not too many instances of people not calling back, but one or two people did have a tendancy to not call back when they were supposed to be ordered in.

We do have town-issued pagers, but they have poor coverage and we have dispatchers who live out-of-state or in the boonies, and it does not work.

In the original memo, sleeping was specifically NOT an excuse, so that would not work!

We are trying to put together a new policy ourselves... does anyone have any good ideas? We do not think there should be a mandatory callback requirement unless you are going to be ordered to work.

-Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts