Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i find myself stopping more and more brazilian drivers with those b/s licences. as soon as they realize i'm not letting them go, they start the "no hablo" stuff. so i started running radar near a dunkin' donuts (with several brazilian employees). after i call for a duty wrecker, i bring them inside and the employees are more than willing to translate what a "summons to court" means.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am guessing you are in the Metro-west area. I don't know how any cop could do anything out here without knowing Portuguese. The soccer loving population is enormous. Start bugging the brass for language classes.
Hang in there.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I love how Zuke refers to them as the soccer loving population. They pull that a lot in Marlborough with parking violations. All you need to say is that their vehicle is getting towed and all of a sudden a miracle happens and they start speaking perfect English.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hey Doughnut, that was my sergeant's way of communicating with deaf kids!

Seriously, this time of year the guardrail is the clue: a few minutes sitting on the cold GR renders fluency in English! Also, the scumbags don't wear their coats in the car or the club...cause it's not "cool" (kinda like rubbers or boots when you were in school!). They always used to ask for their coats: negative...I work in shirt-sleeves, it's-no-colder-for-you-than-it-is-for-me! When it's warm, front-leaning-rest in the BDL works as well!

By the way young troopers: your issued jackets are ugly and suck...don't wear them (unless you have to be out of the car for a long time...that is, a collision...not a stop or even an OUI arrest)!

Remember...it's not whether you win or lose...it's how good you look! :D

·
1,334 Posts
dcs2244";p="49732 said:
Hey Doughnut, that was my sergeant's way of communicating with deaf kids!

Seriously, this time of year the guardrail is the clue: a few minutes sitting on the cold GR renders fluency in English! Also, the scumbags don't wear their coats in the car or the club...cause it's not "cool" (kinda like rubbers or boots when you were in school!). They always used to ask for their coats: negative...I work in shirt-sleeves, it's-no-colder-for-you-than-it-is-for-me! When it's warm, front-leaning-rest in the BDL works as well!

By the way young troopers: your issued jackets are ugly and suck...don't wear them (unless you have to be out of the car for a long time...that is, a collision...not a stop or even an OUI arrest)!

Remember...it's not whether you win or lose...it's how good you look! :D
DCS, again you have some of the best advice on the site. I like the guardrail approach. I'll have see if that assists with communication problem. It is always comical when the words arrest are said or cuffs are shown, wala...instant english.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
2-Delta";p="49540 said:
Funny....my ASP is fluent in all languages.
Reminds me of the oldie but goodie analogy about a pool game and the escalation of force used on an object resulting in an increase of english... Truer words have never been spoken...

Ever try to translate a domestic between 2 deaf/mutes that only understand spanish?

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
my whole dept used to eat a the local greasy spoon for free and most were Friends with the owner (my mom and my wife- not the same person either smart asses- used to work there) well anyway... there was alot of Brazilian cooks and dishwashers and when we used to get the illegal Brazilians we used to run up there and "borrow" a dishwasher.

·
Registered
61 Posts
there is a gang officer in worcester mass that has a book published for officers that helps break the communication barrier. I have seen the book. It is a street book for the patrolman. Very insightful. I will have to look back and find the name of the book and author.

·
MassCops Founder
6,403 Posts
As soon as I see one of those bullshit international ID's from the driver the cuffs come out (provided it's not balls to the wall) 9 times out of 10 it's an arrest and the usual 90-10, 90-9, 90-34J!

After booking it a quick stop at livescan to see who the idiot really is :twisted:

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
GIL is a cop's cop! Keep up that attitude!!! :yes:

I have those new I.C.E numbers for the eastern Mass. area if anyone wants to PM me for them. Also if anyone is interested, here are some major busts made by I.C.E. posted today

http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm

I also saw an ad yesterday in a Police Equipment magazine (can't remember the name but its the size of a road atlas!) for an electronic translator. Something like over 12 different languages.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
truthbetold";p="49806 said:
there is a gang officer in worcester mass that has a book published for officers that helps break the communication barrier. I have seen the book. It is a street book for the patrolman. Very insightful. I will have to look back and find the name of the book and author.
That would be Miguel Lopez and I think it's 'Spanish for the street cop'. Honestly, there's only a few spanish words you need to know. (spelling and grammar doesn't apply)

donde vive?
como se llamo?
cay(ll?)ate la boca (shut your mouth)
sietese (sit)

Last 2 are the most handy I think.....

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Deuce";p="50085 said:
donde vive?
como se llamo?
cay(ll?)ate la boca (shut your mouth)
sietese (sit)

Last 2 are the most handy I think.....
Hey, real quick...the last 2 can be said more forcefully. The way you're saying it, it's almost like a request, try these instead (I'll do it phonetically...SP?)

KAI-EH-TE (basically it means shut up)

SEE-ET-TEH-TE (sit down, but more focefully).

Hope this helps.

A man my husband works with said he knew how to speak spanish...went in to question the guy they arrested and screamed (in english): DO YOU KNOW YOU'RE NAME?

I mean I'm no fluent spanish speaker, but even I know that's wrong! :roll:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Duece yes that is his name thank you. The book is great. If you have a hard time with spanish you should get it. Is brazilian much differnt from spanish? I am only asking this because I dont know. Not because I am ignorant.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
truthbetold";p="50114 said:
Duece yes that is his name thank you. The book is great. If you have a hard time with spanish you should get it. Is brazilian much differnt from spanish? I am only asking this because I dont know. Not because I am ignorant.
In Brazil they speak Portugese...way different then spanish.

G

·
The Brazilians and other nonresidents seem to know some english when they are at the RMV registering their cars under their "X" number. I love the days I get stuck giving road tests and I have time to witness this foolishness that the RMV allows. As long as they get the MONEY.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.