Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been coming across this a lot lately with all the vacationers coming out to the Cape.

Out of state residents (normally from CT, NJ, and NY) operating vehicle that are registered in MA and they're the R/O.

One NY resident told me the reason his vehicle is registered in MA to a PO Box in town was so he can get a "Tax Payer" sticker to be able to park at the beaches.

To me this just doesn't seem legal. I know NY requires their residents to have their vehicles registered in NY but I can't enforce New York law. Is there something in the MGL that covers this?

I'm a federal officer so I don't know the MGL like I probably should and I've tried to look it over. Maybe it's just me but I can't decipher half of it and it seems like the other half is open to interpretation.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I've been coming across this a lot lately with all the vacationers coming out to the Cape.

Out of state residents (normally from CT, NJ, and NY) operating vehicle that are registered in MA and they're the R/O.

One NY resident told me the reason his vehicle is registered in MA to a PO Box in town was so he can get a "Tax Payer" sticker to be able to park at the beaches.

To me this just doesn't seem legal. I know NY requires their residents to have their vehicles registered in NY but I can't enforce New York law. Is there something in the MGL that covers this?

I'm a federal officer so I don't know the MGL like I probably should and I've tried to look it over. Maybe it's just me but I can't decipher half of it and it seems like the other half is open to interpretation.

Thanks for you help.
What's to enforce? According to MGL, any vehicle that is operated 30 days aggregate within the Commonwealth, must be registered in Mass. These people are paying for a Mass registration AND sales and excise tax. Why would you want to penalize them for that??

·
Registered
422 Posts
At least they have licenses, most I see are Brazilians with registered vehilces in MA and the mysterious x numbers or none at all.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
What's to enforce? According to MGL, any vehicle that is operated 30 days aggregate within the Commonwealth, must be registered in Mass. These people are paying for a Mass registration AND sales and excise tax. Why would you want to penalize them for that??
+1 absolutely they are not getting any bargain in Mass for registering their MV

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
I understand in most cases the car must be registered where it spends the most time and is usually garaged. Some people I know who have second homes keep a vehicle registered (and parked) at that home in Florida or elsewhere and use the car while there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts