Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question from a Granite Stater. (Len, you out there?) :85565:

From what I have been able to gather from Packing.Org, getting an approval \ rejection for an All Lawful Purposes License in Mass depends on the accuracy and details of your paperwork, and possibly which way the wind is blowing that particular day.

My question is; say you are looking to gain employment in some capacity that requires a MA LTC. Is that usually a sufficient enough reason?
IE; Armed Security, Armored Car Courier, etc.
Brinks, Loomis, Wells-Fargo, etc. wont even talk to you unless you are currently licensed to carry. Also, if your currently licensed, getting noticed by a Mass AUX PD might be easier?

Will that usually be enough reason for CHSB? Providing that you meet the criteria (no record (I dont), currently licensed in your home state (I am), passed the approved safety course (I've taken 2 (NRA Basic & Personal Protection)), etc..)

I dont want to apply until I have all the proper information.
Thanks folks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi Kozmo, yes I'm here!

NR LTCs are actually a lot easier to obtain than resident LTCs. Reason is MSP/CHSB handles it per MGLs instead of 351 chiefs who make their own rules on what is needed above and beyond the MGLs.

It is my limited understanding (don't really spend much time studying NR issues and Chief Ron Glidden isn't interested in them either as I found out when I asked him a few NR questions for others) that MSP/CHSB is only issuing LTC-A/ALP. So if they issue (based on meeting the law), you are good to go for any PD/private security carry.

Training required is a MA EOPS certified course/instructor only. So make sure that you have the certificate with the MSP seal on it or it is a "no go".

Cost is $100/YEAR for NR LTC!! Last I knew it was a very low priority and taking almost 6 months to issue new or renewal. That is a real problem as you almost have to apply for your renewal as soon as you get it!

Accuracy of info: Read the app very, very carefully and answer honestly and you won't have a problem. People who "forget" the night they spent in jail (even if not convicted) tend to get denied (or they could get prosecuted)! [No kidding this really happened to someone I know . . . and I've heard both sides of this story, from his chief and from him. The guy is an idiot! Guess whose side I am on this one?]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Glad to help and thanks for the compliments in your PM.

Been busy lately and shouldn't be here now either. ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Also, Koz, don't forget that you can't just use a one word or short phrase as the reason why you need the LTC - Class A. I sent a letter that expanded on my reasons. Overkill? Maybe, but better to be safe then sorry. Also, your safety course MUST be taught by a MA Certified Instructor or MPTC.

·
Registered
456 Posts
JoninNH said:
Also, Koz, don't forget that you can't just use a one word or short phrase as the reason why you need the LTC - Class A. I sent a letter that expanded on my reasons. Overkill? Maybe, but better to be safe then sorry. Also, your safety course MUST be taught by a MA Certified Instructor or MPTC.
Jon, I can't speak to what MSP/CHSB is doing/expecting with LTC apps now. I know that a few years ago you didn't have to justify a LTC-A or ALP, that was just all that they issued (they apparently listened to Chief Ron Glidden's speech ;) ). WIth the current anti-gun Sec of Public Safety in office, I have been told that he has made "numerous changes" (and none to our benefit), so nothing will surprise me if they now require your first born and a letter from the Pope to get LTC-A/ALP!

That said, in 29 years the most words my Wife or I have used in "justifying" our Resident LTCs have been "Protection of LIfe" (back in the old days) or "All Lawful Purposes" (for the past 12 years or so)! No long speeches, no letters, no bank receipts, etc. [Worth noting: Our last pro-gun chief retired & died in 1985 (a personal friend) and his two successors are as anti-gun as they come (one never carried a gun, even on duty)! Even totally disarmed us (Special Police) which resulted in losing 35 volunteer officers who were all trained and certified (we actually got more on-going training than the FT POs back then). . .and there has been no increase in the size of the FT force even with a population growth >50% in the 31 years I've been here.]

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
I would say that if you don't have a job or offer of a job to which they will provide a letter that you need to carry. I would not use the "job requirement" as an option.

You can include it as part of your narative in the why...but even then...it's sort of hard to say how well that would go over. The rational might go something like, you could get the job with the compnay in your state first...then transfer then actually have a real reason.

I've had guys take the classes and get the license with a pretty straightforward reasons without clouding the water with the potential of "work" issues.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
LenS said:
Jon, I can't speak to what MSP/CHSB is doing/expecting with LTC apps now. I know that a few years ago you didn't have to justify a LTC-A or ALP, that was just all that they issued (they apparently listened to Chief Ron Glidden's speech ;) ). WIth the current anti-gun Sec of Public Safety in office, I have been told that he has made "numerous changes" (and none to our benefit), so nothing will surprise me if they now require your first born and a letter from the Pope to get LTC-A/ALP!

That said, in 29 years the most words my Wife or I have used in "justifying" our Resident LTCs have been "Protection of LIfe" (back in the old days) or "All Lawful Purposes" (for the past 12 years or so)! No long speeches, no letters, no bank receipts, etc. [Worth noting: Our last pro-gun chief retired & died in 1985 (a personal friend) and his two successors are as anti-gun as they come (one never carried a gun, even on duty)! Even totally disarmed us (Special Police) which resulted in losing 35 volunteer officers who were all trained and certified (we actually got more on-going training than the FT POs back then). . .and there has been no increase in the size of the FT force even with a population growth >50% in the 31 years I've been here.]
Len,

The applicaiton specifically asks if you are applying for an FID, LTC-B, LTC-A. The application itself as well as the letter that comes with the application says that if you are applying LTC then a one word or phrase answer will not surfice. (Remember this is non-resident LTC). I don't know how it works in your town, but one work or one sentence answers are not acceptable to the State. Heh, maybe I should move to your town... I won't have to pay $200 a year for my permit, and I can pick-up MA residency to help in my job search. ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Jon, I'm going to plead ignorance about the NR form. I honestly don't know if it is the same as the resident form or not (at least in text). Perhaps I just didn't read the form carefully enough ;) but whatever works! I think some EOPS changes in "policy" may be responsible for this, wouldn't surprise me. Last Fall was the last time I filled out the forms. BTW, it was $100/year for the NR permit . . . has it gone up to $200 for NR? Or are you military that gets a 2-year LTC and they charge you double (not fair to double charge, but this is "taxachusetts")?

Believe me, you don't want to deal with our chief!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
LenS said:
Jon, I'm going to plead ignorance about the NR form. I honestly don't know if it is the same as the resident form or not (at least in text). Perhaps I just didn't read the form carefully enough ;) but whatever works! I think some EOPS changes in "policy" may be responsible for this, wouldn't surprise me. Last Fall was the last time I filled out the forms. BTW, it was $100/year for the NR permit . . . has it gone up to $200 for NR? Or are you military that gets a 2-year LTC and they charge you double (not fair to double charge, but this is "taxachusetts")?

Believe me, you don't want to deal with our chief!
Nope, not the same as the resident form. I think EOPS needs a change in policymakers, personally. Nope... its still $100 a year, but when your permit takes 5-7 months to process, you really do have to apply to renew the moment you get your permit in the mail, thus making it $200 annually. I have a buddy of mine who runs a security outfit in Taxachusetts and I was tempted to sign on with him (on paper only) to get the extended permit, but decided against it.

I'll PM you a story about one Chief I delt with on an issue of firearms... you tell me if it sounds like yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.