Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Menino to name O'Toole as Boston police commissioner
2/8/2004

BOSTON -- Kathleen O'Toole will be named the new Boston Police Commissioner, sources close to the situation have told The Associated Press.

ADVERTISEMENT
Mayor Thomas M. Menino is expected to make the announcement at a news conference early Sunday afternoon. A call to the mayor's office Sunday morning was not immediately returned.

O'Toole, 49, who previously served as director of the Executive Office of Public Safety, will be the city's first female police commissioner. She also vied for the job 10 years ago, but was beaten out by former commissioner Paul Evans.

O'Toole takes over from acting commissioner James Hussey, who was appointed on a temporary basis after Evans departed for a job in Great Britain in November.

Hussey was criticized for watching the Super Bowl at home last Sunday while fans lit fires and flipped cars during post-game celebrations. Critics have questioned whether enough police were on duty to deal with post-game crowds.

O'Toole beat out Hussey, Capt. James Claiborne, Superintendent Robert Dunford, and Ed Davis, superintendent of police in Lowell.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congrats to the new Commish. I read the herald today and from what I read, Capt. Clairborne looked like the front runner! We'll see how she does. It is going to be a hectic year for her, especially when the Red Sox win the WORLD SERIES BABY!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Slightly updated version of the story, confirming her appointment...

Menino names O'Toole as Boston police commissioner
By Theo Emery, Associated Press, 2/8/2004 13:38

BOSTON (AP) Kathleen O'Toole was named Boston police commissioner on Sunday, becoming the first female head of the department.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino made the announcement at a Sunday news conference at city hall.

O'Toole, 49, previously served as director of the state Executive Office of Public Safety. She also vied for the Boston commissioner position 10 years ago, but was beaten out by former commissioner Paul Evans.

''This is my dream job,'' said O'Toole, who started her law enforcement career with the Boston police in 1976.

''I'll work my very hardest to be the best possible police commissioner,'' she said later.

O'Toole, a native of Pittsfield and a Boston resident, most recently led a company she founded, O'Toole Associates, an international consulting firm that provides crisis management, security services and other functions.

She previously served as chief of the Metropolitan Police, and as a lieutenant colonel in the Massachusetts State Police. The Metropolitan Police department was folded into the state police in 1992 in a consolidation of police services. In 1994, Governor William F. Weld appointed O'Toole the Secretary of Public Safety.

She left public service in 1998 to become head of Boston College's Alumni Association. That same year, she was named to the Independent Commission on Policing in Northern Ireland, also known as the Patten Commission, as part of the peace process.

It was that ''global perspective'' that helped sway Menino, who said the decision was one of his most difficult as mayor.

''I know Kathy has the ability to really deal with the issues in our city,'' he said. ''I have great enthusiasm for this appointment.''

Menino tapped O'Toole in 1999 to chair the Boston Fire Review Commission to investigate allegations of mismanagement and bias in the department.

O'Toole takes over from acting commissioner James Hussey, who was appointed on a temporary basis after Evans departed for a job in Great Britain in November.

Hussey was criticized for watching the Super Bowl at home last Sunday while fans lit fires and flipped cars during post-game celebrations. Critics have questioned whether enough police were on duty to deal with the crowds.

One celebrating fan, the son of a state police officer, died when an allegedly drunken driver plowed through a crowd of revelers. O'Toole knows the victim's father.

''I assured (the victim's family) and I assure you that we'll investigate that incident to the greatest extent possible,'' she said.

O'Toole beat out Hussey, Capt. James Claiborne, Superintendent Robert Dunford, and Ed Davis, superintendent of police in Lowell.

Boston City Councilor Charles C. Yancey, while praising O'Toole's appointment, said Menino ''may have missed a wonderful opportunity'' by not appointing Claiborne, who is black and would have been the city's first minority commissioner.

''That would have sent a very clear message to the entire city of Boston, which is majority people of color,'' Yancey said.
Good luck to her!

-Mike

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I wish they appointed her secretary of Public Safety again....we could use an ally rather than an opponent....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.