Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just received a PM asking me about the Mass Constable Police Patch that I chose as my logo, the question has peaked my curiosity as well.

Gil, can you please tell me what the origin of this patch is? [I just chose it as closest to my job as a Constable from your list of "standard logos".]

Was this a pre-cursor to the Mass State Police Patch? [For those that don't know, the MSP was formed in 1865 as one Constable and 33 Deputies. See www.mass.gov/msp/history.htm for the full details.]

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
If I am not mistaken, it is actually a joke created by a former member of the board. I do not believe it has any historical origin whatsoever. (Especially considering that constables are not police.) Then again, maybe I'm wrong, and some constable out there does use it. 8)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RoboCop, now I'm even more curious about the origin of this graphic!

Although most FT POs don't believe it, Constables do have arrest powers and wide-ranging LE powers in MA. Most of us have enough common sense not to stir up the hornets nest by "playing cop", but MGL Ch. 90 Sect. 1 specifies that Constables have authority in Motor Vehicle Law, MGL Ch. 56 Sect. 57 ORDERS Constables to arrest without a warrant anyone who interferes with the election laws and MGL Ch. 41 Sect. 95 authorizes Constables to arrest anyone with an outstanding warrant anywhere in MA.

I know that there are Constable patches, but since we work in plain clothes I don't have any patches and really don't know what the "official" ones look like offhand. Perhaps I'll ask Mark the next time I'm in AAA Police Supply.

BTW, when I was looking at some municipal websites for Constables somewhere on the North Shore (don't recall which towns), I found some listed as "Constable Police" on their town's website. This leads me to believe that perhaps that town(s) does indeed appoint them with that title. Since most people have no idea what a Constable is and what authority they have, using "Police" in the title makes it clearer to the average person (and even the "real Police" :) ).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VOR,

Not before someone answers my question on the patch, OK?

I'm not trying to go down a rat-hole on powers. I've only been here ~3 weeks and have no idea if Constables vs. Police was beat to death before. I also know that MGL has a lot of Obsolete "Old English" law in it and doesn't reflect on reality. As I learned long ago as a Reserve PO, just because the law gives you the authority to do something doesn't mean it is a good thing to invoke that authority.

So, back to the original question on "origin" of the logo/patch and lets all agree to drop the other baggage, OK?

·
MassCops Founder
6,403 Posts
Len I am not 100% sure on where the graphic came from, I think it was from a former member that has since been banned but is most likely still lurking around here. I do believe it was created as a joke and that it is not a real patch, it was an MSP patch edited in Photoshop. There are a ton of posts on the constable issue and it has been beaten to death and I would rather not go down that road again. We all just have to agree to disagree when it comes to the duties and powers of constables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.