Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have a 3m opticom on your units? Only the fire department in our area has them, so i have no experience with them. Do they work at a good distance vs. high speed ?

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
They are storbes that flash and a certain rate and change the traffic lights in your direction green while makeing all others red. You tell Opticom traffic lights by the white or red strobe and the little pieces of pipe that look for the signal on top of the light posts.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Yes you can by them on gay bay but they will not work in every town. The traffic light activation is based on the FPM of the opticome strobe on the appartus. Each town has a different FPM rate to activate the traffic lights. A good example is Lyons ambulance ,has all its ambulances equipped with opticom. Lyons is based in Danvers but its opitcoms only will work in Beverly. When Danvers fires goes abroad or another town comes to Danvers the firefighters have to keep in mind that once in another town the lights wont change for you.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hey this is sorta off topic but...

The town I used to live in has the rotating red becons at the intersections and when this device activates the rotating reds flash as well. Well, I've noticd that the red strobe seems to flash one time every minute or so, just once, for no apparent reason. I'm curious, does anyone know why?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Well... working in a town with only 1 traffic light.. I can't relate to the needs of such device. However, driving in to Boston for work, I can relate the need for one in my personal vehicle :wink: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts