Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
75th N.H.P.A.
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I am surprised, but I have had occasion to check on the records of several drivers who were arrested for operating unlicensed. I found the RMV record reflected the charges (the dismissal of the charges, of course) but I could NOT find any record of the arraignment and dismissal on the BOPs.
Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know if this is district court policy or merely a few district courts that decide not to record unlicensed operation arraignments on the BOP?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't know why I am surprised, but I have had occasion to check on the records of several drivers who were arrested for operating unlicensed. I found the RMV record reflected the charges (the dismissal of the charges, of course) but I could NOT find any record of the arraignment and dismissal on the BOPs.
Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know if this is district court policy or merely a few district courts that decide not to record unlicensed operation arraignments on the BOP?
Thanks for any info.
My understanding as explained to me by a clerk magistrate is that simple 90/10 Unlicensed is treated by the courts as a Civil Motor Vehicle Offense. Even though it is arrestable and is filed by a police officer as criminal offense, it is processed by the court as non-criminal. You won't see it on a BOP. Apparently there are a few statutes like this. I think Walk/Ride on Railroad Tracks is also treated the same way, meaning it is arrestable and filed by police as a criminal offense but treated by the courts as civil.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,508 Posts
That settles that. Next time my license is up for renewal, I let it lapse, take my chances and then skate if I get caught! Oh the money I'll save!!!!
:p

Reactions: Goose and pahapoika

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have seen it go both ways. Its usually 5 on the DH of 90/10, then 1 on the BOP for 90/10. I think it all depends on the court house. Usually most 90/10/A offenses are dismissed with court cost anyway.

·
Registered
883 Posts
That settles that. Next time my license is up for renewal, I let it lapse, take my chances and then skate if I get caught! Oh the money I'll save!!!!
:p
Yup, all you have to pay is $40 for bail if the officer even goes that far. The down side is the $130 police tow, plus storage of course. Although being a WM, they will throw the book at you in court.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yup, all you have to pay is $40 for bail if the officer even goes that far. The down side is the $130 police tow, plus storage of course. Although being a WM, they will throw the book at you in court.
I've given up charging 90/10 for most circumstances (that usually involve a Brazil passport). Full boat civil citation, which they know to pay so they don't get a suspended status, and a tow. It's cheaper for them to receive a crim app and go to court to just pay court costs.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,508 Posts
There goes my plan, right down the jailhouse potty.

·
75th N.H.P.A.
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the answers, all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts