Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LONG ISLAND CITY (WABC) -- One NYPD officer was shot and another was injured in a confrontation with a suspect.
The shooting happened inside the subway station at 21st Street and 42 Avenue in Long Island City shortly after 5:00.
Investigators said the suspect was also shot. It is not immediately known what led to the confrontation.
Officials said the two officers were transported to Elmhurst Hospital. The suspect was removed from the subway just after 5:40 p.m. He was also taken to the hospital.
The F line is bypassing 21st Street/Queensbridge Station because of police activity. (THIS STORY IS DEVELOPING)

Story From: WABC-TV

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two NYPD officers shot at subway station

The Associated Press

NEW YORK - A man being arrested in a New York City subway station struggled with two officers, grabbed one of their guns and shot both of them during the Tuesday evening rush, police said.
A lieutenant working at the Queens subway station shot the suspect in his legs and torso as he tried to flee, police said.
The two plainclothes transit officers wore bulletproof vests protecting their chests.
Officer Shane Farina, who was shot near his sternum and suffered a broken rib, was in critical but stable condition Tuesday night. Officer Jason Maass, who was shot in the lower back, was in stable condition.
The suspect was identified as Raul Nunez, 32, of the Dominican Republic; he was in police custody at a hospital and his condition wasn't disclosed.
Police said Nunez was being arrested because he entered the station by swiping a child's discounted subway fare card, which set off a warning light near the turnstile. The student cards are illegal for non-student use.
Police said Lt. Gary Abrahall, working in a booth in the station's upper level, radioed the two officers on the station platform when he noticed the warning light.
Farina and Maass approached Nunez, identified themselves and got one handcuff on him when he began resisting, police said.
The suspect grabbed one officer's gun and fired at both of them as they lay on the ground, police said. He took an escalator to the upper level, where Abrahall confronted him.
Nunez fired three more times before Abrahall fired six shots, hitting Nunez four times, police said.
Farina, 38, joined the police department four years ago. Maass, 28, joined in 2006.
Prosecutors said Nunez will be charged with attempted murder. A phone listing for him was not available.

Wire Service

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Immigration probes how shooting suspect got to NYC

NEW YORK -- Federal immigration officials are wondering how a man involved in a subway shootout with police officers had re-entered the U.S. after being deported a decade ago after a drug arrest.
The man, Raul Nunez, illegally used a student's fare payment card to enter a subway station during Tuesday evening's rush hour, police said. Two plainclothes transit officers tried to arrest him, and in a struggle he grabbed one of their guns and shot them, police said.
Nunez, who is from the Dominican Republic, reportedly told authorities he resisted because he was afraid he'd be deported again if he were arrested.
Nunez, 32, was deported June 24, 1998, by an immigration judge after a drug arrest in New York. He was charged in Manhattan with selling cocaine to an undercover officer in 1997. He also had a drug conviction in 1996.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents say they're not sure when he re-entered the country.
Officer Shane Farina, who was shot near his sternum and suffered a fractured rib, remained in critical but stable condition Wednesday after undergoing surgery. Officer Jason Maass, who was shot in the lower back, was released early Wednesday from a hospital. Both officers were wearing bulletproof vests, police said.
Farina, 38, joined the police department four years ago. Maass, 28, has been an officer with the department since 2006.
Nunez was shot twice in the left leg and once in the torso and right leg by a nearby police lieutenant as he tried to run away, police said. He was hospitalized under police custody. It wasn't immediately clear what his condition was Wednesday.
He is awaiting arraignment on charges of attempted murder. Federal immigration officials said Nunez also faces a charge of re-entering the country after deportation.
Nunez would face 25 years to life in prison and deportation if convicted.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/national/BO92430/

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot New York Officer Talks About Experience

BY SOPHIA CHANG. [email protected]; Daniel Edward Rosen and staff writer Rocco Parascandola

As wounded New York City police officer Jason Maass returned to his West Babylon home yesterday, he gave a thumbs up to a group of waiting reporters and praised his partner, Shane Farina, who was recovering from surgery after Tuesday's subway shooting.
"My partner's a hero," said Maass, 28, who has been on the force for two years.
Farina, 38, of Center Moriches, underwent three hours of abdominal surgery at Elmhurst Medical Center yesterday and was in stable condition in the surgical intensive care unit, a hospital spokesman said yesterday. Maass was injured by a bullet grazing his back and bullet fragments in his pelvis.
The two plainclothes officers were shot Tuesday evening as they grappled with a suspected fare dodger inside the Queensbridge-21st Street subway station in Long Island City, investigators said.
As the officers tried to arrest Raul Nuñez, 32, for attempting to use a student fare card, he struggled with them. Nuñez, who police said is an ex-convict from the Dominican Republic, grabbed Maass' police-issued 9-mm handgun and shot the officers, according to authorities.
Nuñez then fled the platform but was shot and wounded on the upper level of the station by Lt. Gary Abrahall, also part of the operation, who fired at him six times, police said.
Nuñez was struck four times and was listed in serious condition at Bellevue Hospital Center yesterday. Police sources said he stood a good chance of escaping were it not for Abrahall, who was not hit after Nuñez fired at him three times.
A married father of four, Abrahall, 44, who lives in Sayville, has worked the streets his entire career, according to a former colleague on the NYPD, taking extreme measures only when forced to do so.
"He's good with people," said the former colleague, who did not want his named published.
"I'm sure he did what he had to do."
Outside of Elmhurst Medical Center yesterday, police commissioner Ray Kelly said Abrahall had acted "appropriately and heroically." He later added, "he did an outstanding job."
While both wounded officers were wearing bulletproof vests, Farina, a four-year veteran, was shot in the sternum and suffered a fractured rib and a lacerated liver. The bullet struck just beneath the lower border of the vest. Yesterday, Kelly visited Farina in the hospital and said afterward about the officer, "he feels lucky."
Elmhurst hospital spokesman Dario Centorcelli described Farina as "a tough guy. He's going to be OK. There was a laceration of the liver but there was very little bleeding."
The mood at Farina's bedside, tense on Tuesday night, was "a lot more relaxed" yesterday, Centorcelli said.
As he headed into his home, Maass said he was feeling "great," but added, "I'm concerned for my partner."

Story From: Newsday

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suspect: 'I would have kept shooting police'

By Colleen Long
Associated Press

NEW YORK - A man accused of shooting two police officers in the New York City subway said he would have kept firing had he not been shot by another officer, according to court documents released Thursday..
Raul Nunez was arraigned at his bed at Manhattan's Bellevue Hospital by a Queens judge on charges of attempted murder in the shooting during the Tuesday evening rush hour. He was being held without bail.
Officers Jason Maass and Shane Farina were wounded as they tried to arrest Nunez, who had illegally used a student MetroCard to enter a subway station in Queens, prosecutors said.
Nunez apparently used one of the officer's guns in the shooting.
"I saw the gun and I grabbed it and went wild," Nunez told investigators, according to a criminal complaint filed by Queens prosecutors. "I would have kept shooting but the other cop shot me and broke my leg. They started to put me in cuffs and I just grabbed the gun."
Defense attorney Kenneth Deane had no immediate comment.
Nunez said he found the subway pass on the train last week, and he struggled with the officers when they tried to arrest him, according to court papers.
"We fell down and I saw a silver gun on the ground," he said, according to the complaint. "I picked up the gun and shot the officer from about 2 feet away."
After fleeing to the upper level on an escalator, Nunez was confronted by Lt. Gary Abrahall, police said. He fired three more times before Abrahall fired six shots, hitting Nunez four times, they said.
Nunez, 32, is from the Dominican Republic and was deported in 1998 by an immigration judge after a drug arrest in New York. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents say they're investigating how he got back into the country.
He reportedly told authorities he resisted because he was afraid he would be deported again if he was arrested.
Farina, who was shot near his sternum and suffered a fractured rib, remained in critical condition but was stable. Maass, who was shot in the lower back, was released early Wednesday from a hospital. Both officers were wearing bulletproof vests, police said.
Nunez was shot twice in the left leg and once in the torso and right leg. His condition wasn't immediately available Thursday.
Nunez could face 25 years to life in prison and deportation if convicted. He also faces a charge of re-entering the country after deportation, federal immigration officials said.

Wire service

1 - 7 of 7 Posts