Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Old OUI effect me getting Class A?

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  John J 
#1 ·
Hello all and apologies if this quesiton has been asked, I did some searching around the site but could find what I was looking for.

So I've got a OUI and Class D possesion(small amount) arrest from 12 years ago when I was 20, I'm about 90% sure I pleasded No Contest, was given probation and sent to a weekly alcohol meeting for 4 months. Can anyone tell me if my record will keep me from obtaining a gun permit? If I'm denied a class A will I automatically be issued a class B?

My record's been clean since then, 1 speeding ticket or 2. Oh and I live in Worcester.

#7 ·
I was gonna comment but amazingly I keep loosing my though when JAP happens to have the last post.:stomp:

Your not playing fair JAP

#11 ·
So I've got a OUI and Class D possesion(small amount) arrest from 12 years ago when I was 20
That's the way it often works out. Bad decisions can sometimes come back to haunt you. The issuing chiefs don't give a shit if you've kept your nose clean since. They see the issue in black and white and most won't take the chance on signing off on a class A for anything less than perfect.

#15 ·
OK, this is based on more than 5 year old info... but OUI used to be a maximum 2 year HOC sentence, which did not trigger the federal disqualification for the equivalent of a federal felony (any state crime providing for imprisonment for greater than 2 years).

After a certain point OUI became a 2 1/2 year misdemeanor, which DID count as a federal disqualification.

Class C and D FID's at one time were mandatory issue if no state-disqualifying offenses, but OUI was not one of them... which could lead to someone being issued an FID (mandatory issue) but being federally disqualified to possess firearms or ammo or its components.

If this strikes you as confusing and contradictory, you would be correct.

And, of course, things have certainly changed since then. I am sure the pertinent laws have been overhauled to make things simple and obvious and easy for the applicant to under... *SMACK*

Sorry, all better now.

Basically as stated here, the only way to find out is to apply.

#17 ·
My cousin got an OUI when he was 19 and still got his class A at 21 or 22. We live in a smaller town, and I dont know how Worcester operates, but there could still be some hope...
Wow, from everything I've heard and been told that sounds like quite an exception. Was your cousins parents in tight with the towns cheif?

OK, this is based on more than 5 year old info... but OUI used to be a maximum 2 year HOC sentence, which did not trigger the federal disqualification for the equivalent of a federal felony (any state crime providing for imprisonment for greater than 2 years).

After a certain point OUI became a 2 1/2 year misdemeanor, which DID count as a federal disqualification.

Class C and D FID's at one time were mandatory issue if no state-disqualifying offenses, but OUI was not one of them... which could lead to someone being issued an FID (mandatory issue) but being federally disqualified to possess firearms or ammo or its components.

If this strikes you as confusing and contradictory, you would be correct.

And, of course, things have certainly changed since then. I am sure the pertinent laws have been overhauled to make things simple and obvious and easy for the applicant to under... *SMACK*

Sorry, all better now.

Basically as stated here, the only way to find out is to apply.
I actually think I know what your talking about lol. I read something very similar on a lawyers website, and yah the laws change so often it's hard to keep up.

Best bet would be to move out of Worcester! Join the Gun Owner's Action League or contact a qualified firearms attorney before you submit your application.

Like others have said, you won't know until you apply...
Well I tell you if I keep hitting a brick wall with this I might have to move the hell outta MA all togethor LOL! Joining GOAL might be a good idea, their headquarters is in Northborough not 15min away, I'll contact them this week and see what they have to say:)

#20 ·
Keep in mind even if you do get a permit, when you go to a gun shop to purchase a firearm you have to fill out a form called a 4473. This form asks you a bunch of info. One of the questions asks: have you ever been convicted of a felony or ANY crime where a judge could have imprisoned you for more than 1 year.

If you answer "yes" to this question, your purchase will be denied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.