Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mon Aug 4, 3:47 PM ET

In this 2003 file photo, Richard Cooey gestures during an interview at the Mansfield Correctional Institution in Mansfield, Ohio, where he is on death row for the murders of two University of Akron students in 1986. Attorneys for the death-row inmate argued in a federal lawsuit he's so fat that Ohio executioners would have trouble finding his veins.(AP Photo/The Columbus Dispatch, Haraz Ghanbari)

ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A death row inmate scheduled for execution says he's too fat to be put to death, claiming executioners would have trouble finding his veins and that his weight could diminish the effectiveness of one of the lethal injection drugs.

Lawyers for Richard Cooey argue in a federal lawsuit that Cooey - 5-feet-7 and 267 pounds - had poor veins when he faced execution five years ago and the problem has been worsened by weight gain.
The lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court, also says prison officials have had difficulty drawing blood from Cooey for medical procedures.
Cooey, 41, is sentenced to die for raping and murdering two young women in 1986. His execution is scheduled for Oct. 14.
His attorneys say a drug he is taking for migraine headaches could affect the execution process. The drug Topamax, a type of seizure medication, may have created a resistance to thiopental, the drug used to put inmates to sleep before two other lethal drugs are administered, Dr. Mark Heath, a physician hired by the Ohio Public Defender's Office, said in documents filed with the court.
Heath says Cooey's weight, combined with the potential drug resistance, increases the risk he would not be properly anesthetized.
"All of the experts agree if the first drug doesn't work, the execution is going to be excruciating," Cooey's public defender, Kelly Culshaw Schneider, said Monday.
Prison system spokeswoman Andrea Carson and Jim Gravelle, a spokesman for the Ohio Attorney General's Office, both said Monday they hadn't seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment.
Last year, Carson cited the obesity of condemned inmate Christopher Newton as one of the reasons prison officials had difficulty accessing his veins before his execution. Newton was 6 feet tall and weighed 265 pounds.
Two years ago, convicted killer Jeffrey Lundgren was put to death after a federal appeals court rejected his claim that he was at greater risk of experiencing pain and suffering because he was overweight and diabetic.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_re_us/death_penalty_cooey

·
Registered
85 Posts
oh puh-LEASE

that's why they have this little invention
http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/newsrelease/vein-finder.htm

deep brachial execution!

or they can go interosseous. May seem barbaric but it was invented as a way of gaining access on difficult patients. Goes right in the bone marrow. Commonly used in ambulances on cardiac arrest patients, the elderly and infants for life-saving treatments. Why not on scum for life-ending treatment?

and regarding the drug not being as effective? bullshit. that's why most are weight-based drugs. Just Quadruple it. I don't see how they can worry about overdosing him when they're trying to kill him! Plus, that isn't the only drug out there to put someone to sleep. Ask any anethesiologist.

fun fact:
topamax is also prescribed for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Correct. You could use Ativan or something similar to put them to sleep. WTF cares enough the barbiturates would put him to sleep anyway.

1. Barbiturates (enough to cause respiratory depression)
2. Potassium Chloride undiluted

Done all very cheaply

From a pharmacy stand point. I checked 3 books and Topamax didn't even pop up on the interaction section. 0 what so ever interactions major enough to cause anything.

Who cares he is going to die anyway. Sounds like the lawyers talking BS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
you know what i don't get? If we're so concerned about inflicting pain why not just RSI them with a combo of versed (sedation), succinylcholine (paralytic) and morphine (knocks out your respitory drive while ensuring no pain)?

Only just use that to knock them down. At that point, instead of intubating them, just knock em out for good with a big shot of potassium chloride.

or why not even just save the money of all the drugs and get a nice 20cc (extra 10cc than needed to make sure it's really done) syringe and give them an EJ bolus of air. Instant air embolism.

There are far too many options for this to even remotely be a valid fight in court.

at what point did we get away from the good ol' fashioned firing squad?

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
note to self: never, EVER have Becks treat me with anything in a needle.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Medication for migraines??? Who gives a shit! He's a death rown inmate. No meds for him!! Ship him to a state that uses the electric chair - problem solved. I do not believe that executions should be painless.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
The two young women he raped and murdered didn't get any special consideration for their comfort. If execution is a little uncomfortable for the fat f&ck, too darn bad.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
If they want a more a PC method.:rolleyes: Court ordered gastic bypass surgery. With a walnut sized stomach he will be sure to lose the weight quickly..prolly six months.

Nice try fatty.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
...All of the experts agree if the first drug doesn't work, the execution is going to be excruciating...
Oh if they could all be just like that. In other words; JUSTICE.

I'm sure it was excruciating for the victims and tenfold for the families of the victims.
I say you allow 3 members from each of the victims families (fathers and brothers should do nicely), each armed with a ball-peen hammer, to spend 30 minutes with Mr. Cooey. After about 15 seconds Fat Ass would be begging for lethal injection.

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
I don't think the fat f*(k cared about the pain and suffering he caused his victims. I could definately thinks of a few good old fashioned ways to make this bastard die. I just don't believe the justice system. The only justice is to these creeps. Maybe he'll die from a brain aneurysm or a heart attach. He's too fat, oh poor baby. Starve him, then let the families stone him to death.

·
Subscribing Member
824 Posts
If the Vet can give shots to cows and horses this fat POS can surely get one. Its not out of the realm of possibility, juice his plaque clogged veins and dispose of his worthless carcass.

BTW Obscure thought...I wonder if they sanitize the condemned's arm with an alcohol swab before inserting the needle? What would be the point?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
How tall is the roof of the prison?:)

G

·
BTW Obscure thought...I wonder if they sanitize the condemned's arm with an alcohol swab before inserting the needle? What would be the point?
There is always the possibility that after the needle is inserted but before the drugs start to flow, the 9th Circuit could issue a stay of execution based on the fact the officer wasn't wearing his hat when he stopped the condemned's car, thereby in their opinion invalidating the discovery of the dead body in the passenger seat.

So we certainly don't want any post-insertion infections during the years it takes to sort out that type of appeal.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Death Row Inmate Claims He's Too Fat to be Executed

Richard Cooey

Associated Press
October 10, 2008
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A federal appeals court and Ohio's high court have rejected a death row inmate's argument that he is too fat to die by lethal injection.
A three-judge panel of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati and the Ohio Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Richard Cooey's execution could go ahead as planned.
The 41-year-old Cooey is set to be executed Tuesday for killing two University of Akron students in 1986.
Cooey's attorneys argued that prison food and limited opportunities to exercise contributed to a weight problem that would make it difficult for the execution team to find a viable
vein for lethal injection.
Cooey is 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs 267 pounds.

http://www.ktla.com/content_landing...-Hes-Too-Fat-to-b=1&blockID=91107&feedID=1080

1 - 20 of 25 Posts