Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Official wants Brimfield chief to take leave
Kuss waiver is delayed

James F. Russell
CORRESPONDENT
Worcester Telegram

BRIMFIELD- One member of the Brimfield Board of Selectmen wants Police Chief Charles T. Kuss to take a leave of absence until the state of Massachusetts certifies he has full police powers.

During an interview yesterday, Selectman Diane M. Panaccione expressed frustration that it has taken so long for Chief Kuss to obtain the green light from the state.

"We give him (Chief Kuss) a leave of absence and put someone else in as the Brimfield police chief until he obtains his waiver approval," Ms. Panaccione suggested.

She expects selectmen to discuss the matter at Monday's meeting at 7 p.m. in Town Hall.

The state's Criminal Justice Training Committee met in South Weymouth Wednesday to consider the town's and Chief Kuss' request for a waiver from completing the mandatory 21-week police academy that would enable the chief to exercise full police powers at the municipal level - including the legal authority to make an arrest - but the 11-member committee took no action on the request, according to Training Committee Chairman Thomas E. Burke.

Chief Burke is also president of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association and is the police chief in West Springfield.

Selectmen hired Chief Kuss Aug. 4 for a six-month probationary period, Ms. Panaccione said.

"We extended his probation by 90 days in February, and then another 30 days in May, contingent on him obtaining the waiver," she said.

Ms. Panaccione said she spoke with the Training Committee and was told by the committee that Chief Kuss' application to obtain the waiver is under review.

She said the Training Committee told her that members would not meet to adjudicate the matter again until their August meeting. The committee, which meets monthly, received Chief Kuss' request in May, but no quorum was present to review his application then, said Chief Burke, who presided over Wednesday's meeting.

Chief Burke confirmed Chief Kuss' application was heard by the full board, but the matter "was tabled so our staff could do some background checking on Chief Kuss' education and experience."

"There were questions whether his training is comparable to Massachusetts standards," the chairman said, referring to documents Chief Kuss submitted stating he completed training in criminal law, first responder, CPR and firearms.

"At some point, we could grant him a permanent exemption," Chief Burke said, adding that the board's action Wednesday was not out of the ordinary.

"The worst case scenario is he would be given a temporary exemption" with the provision that Chief Kuss "take the 21-week police academy," Chief Burke noted.

"The MCJTC staff will take what he (Chief Kuss) submitted and compare that with what is required here" in Massachusetts, Chief Burke said.

"We have to uphold standards," he said.

A call placed to Chief Kuss Wednesday night at the police station was not immediately returned.

The chief's resume lists 20 years of experience at the 136-person Boynton Beach, Fla., police department, from which he retired as a senior sergeant in 2001.

According to his resume, he commanded the department's 17-member SWAT team; was firearms instructor from 1997 to 2001; was department spokesperson for all TV, radio, print media and public appearances in 1996 and 1997, and was first in the class of 1981 at the Police Academy of Palm Beach Community College.

Ms. Panaccione said selectmen should, at minimum, "extend Chief Kuss' probationary period until a final decision is made on his waiver."

"I guess we will just have to wait until Monday night" to determine what action selectmen will take, she said.

Selectman Robert C. Cheney could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Reached at Town Hall late yesterday morning, Chairman of the Board of Selectmen Carol M. DelNegro hung up the phone before the interview was completed.

Voters approved an increase to 10 hours per week for Chief Kuss during last month's annual town meeting. When he was hired in August, the job paid $6,282 per year based on a four-hour workweek.

:lol: It just never ends :lol:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am a little confused so pease let me know if I am wrong. I thought to be a Police Chief in a Part-time town al you needed was the reserve/intermittent poice academt. Has this changed. I know a few smal town chiefs and all they have is the old "Brown" book reserve/intermittent police academy. Not even a sgt course.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, all Mr. Kuss had to do was attend a part time academy and all would be done. The problem is, they want to get a waiver because he obviously doesn't want to attend the academy. The "brown book" test still exists. I believe that it's part of obtaining a waiver.

The Selectmen have been in the paper the last couple of weeks and I'm just happy to see that everything around these guys are falling apart. This mess was created by them. I can't wait until our stuff is heard at the Mass Labor Relations Commission, Just to add to their woes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,
Sutcliff
Charette
Ullery
McCarthy crossed over.
They are the only ones to cross over. :twisted:
It's all in their name! :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts