Officers Instructed To Not Enforce Immigration | MassCops

Officers Instructed To Not Enforce Immigration

Discussion in 'Illegal Immigration Issues' started by kwflatbed, Aug 9, 2007.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

2. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

Chelsea officials have instructed their officials not to cooperate with immigration and pointed out quickly that the recent arrests there were for "criminal not immigration violations."

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Once an arrestee's fingerprints go into the system, ICE is automatically notified. If they fax over a detainer, the arresting department is required to hold the prisoner until the end of the next court day.

4. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

This country is on a glide path for an all out civil war. Maybe not tomorrow, or even in my lifetime but eventually it will happen. The left is tearing this country apart brick by brick.

5. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

They are being stopped out here by the van loads. Federallies refuse pick up for lack of resources. Free they go.

6. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

WRONG. Not so in my neck of the woods. ICE is so effective, the ACLU is getting nervous calls weekly on behalf of these scofflaws.

It is a violation of two 1996 US laws, and a US 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals case law...............Time to see if the Police Union gives a damn and does the right thing by letting the Mayor know this.

Rudy G. tried the same thing in the late 1990's as Mayor of NYC. Just last week, this was brought up during the campaign showing him as "weak on Immigration".

Lest we forget..........

7. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

8. bbelichick

bbelichick Moderator Staff Member

Not likely.

9. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

I win...http://www.house.gov/list/press/nc09_myrick/immcourt033006.html
    MYRICK FIGHTS FOR A NC IMMIGRATION COURT
    (Washington, D.C.) – Today, Representative Sue Myrick (NC-9), held a press conference regarding her battle to bring an immigration court to North Carolina. She was joined by Reps. Walter Jones (NC-3), Virginia Foxx (NC-5), Patrick McHenry (NC-10), and Charles Taylor (NC-11). Rep. Myrick’s prepared statement at the press conference can be found below.
    Rep. Myrick believes that the creation of an immigration court located in North Carolina will address both the needs of the growing legal immigrant populations, and the litany of problems the state is experiencing with illegal aliens. Currently, North Carolina is under the jurisdiction of the immigration court in Atlanta, Georgia. This means that North Carolina doesn’t have the full tools and resources to deport illegal aliens in a expedited manner.
    North Carolina’s illegal alien population is estimated at 300,000. This makes North Carolina home to the nation’s 8th largest population of illegal aliens. Yet, of the ten states with the largest estimated populations of illegal aliens, North Carolina is the only one without an immigration court. In addition, there are 16 other states with lower illegal alien populations, yet they have an immigration court (see chart here: http://www.myrick.house.gov/immigrationcourtstats.shtml).
    Rep. Myrick sent the Department of Justice (DOJ) several letters requesting an immigration court. She used research to argue that North Carolina needs an immigration court because of the growing number of foreign-born people coming to North Carolina (North Carolina had a 273.7% increase in foreign-born population between 1990 and 2000.) In addition, she argued that North Carolina needed a court due to the 18% increased caseload Atlanta’s immigration court has experienced between 2003 and 2004, due in part to North Carolina’s growing illegal alien population (Atlanta’s increase came despite a static number in overall cases for the entire United States immigration court system during the same period of time.) The DOJ denied Rep. Myrick’s request each time (see letters here: http://www.myrick.house.gov/immcourtletterstoDOJ.PDF)
    The public should note that in the coming weeks Rep. Myrick will be sitting down with immigration officials at the DOJ as well as the Department of Homeland Security and will present North Carolina’s case for an immigration court. She will keep the public updated on the responses she receives. (see additional facts here: http://www.myrick.house.gov/NCImmigrationCourtFactSheet.shtml)
    Rep. Myrick’s prepared remarks from today’s Press Conference:
    I have called this press conference today to inform the public of my efforts to bring an immigration court to North Carolina.
    North Carolina has the 8th largest population of illegal aliens in the United States.
    We have an estimated 300,000 to 600,000 illegal aliens in our state Yet, North Carolina does not have an immigration court of its own.
    North Carolina is currently required to use the immigration court in Atlanta.
    This means that, as we speak, NC local law enforcement agencies are releasing illegal aliens back onto the street with a note telling them to show up to their hearing at the immigration court in Atlanta Georgia.
    Do you think an illegal alien is going to show up to a court hearing on their legal status more than 4 hours away from Charlotte? No Way!
    Because of the problems we are facing, I wrote to the Department of Justice and asked them to place an immigration court in North Carolina to help us deal with our illegal alien problems.
    My request was denied.
    I was told North Carolina did not have the need for a court, that our immigration burden was not big enough yet, that other states had a greater need.
    Well, I didn’t like that answer, so I had my staff do some research. What we found was shocking.
    The Department of Justice stated that North Carolina was denied an immigration court because other states have a greater need. Yet, my research shows that our need is greater than 16 other states who have been awarded immigration courts.
    You can look at the chart titled “Why Not North Carolina” to see exactly what I’m talking about.
    Colorado has less illegal aliens than North Carolina. Yet Colorado has an immigration court.
    Georgia has less illegal aliens than North Carolina. Yet Georgia has an immigration court.
    Maryland has less illegal aliens than North Carolina. Yet Maryland has an immigration court.
    Massachusetts, Virginia, Washington, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Connecticut, Minnesota, and Utah all have less illegal aliens than North Carolina yet each has an immigration court, and we don’t.

10. bbelichick

bbelichick Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't aware you were in NC. I thought you were in Eastern Mass.

11. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

Oh yeah, I transplanted from eastern Mass. I do not doubt that western Mass. has plenty of illegals. The last time I visited Springfield I felt like I was in another country.

12. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

(North Carolina had a 273.7% increase in foreign-born population between 1990 and 2000.)

what the hell ? is NC giving away toaster ovens to every illegal that crosses their border ?

13. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

No..................licenses. They hand out licenses and registrations like green stamps. The last illegal I got with a NC license still had it glued to the envelope from the DMV.

14. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Maine is doing the same crap! handing out licenses to anyone

15. kttref

kttref New Member

NC and SC are notorious for handing out licenses...What pisses me off most about them, is that they will then list a CT address on the NC or SC license. I mean, give me a break...it's SCREAMING "I'M AN F'N ILLEGAL...ARREST ME NOW."...but I can do absolutely nothing except give them a ticket for not changing over their license. Such crap. The only way we're going to win this war, is if every local PO was had ICE powers...but we all know when that is going to happen....when "ice" forms elsewhere. Bassturds.

16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

1) Take NC/SC license with CT address on it.

2) Insert into shredder.

3) What license?

:mrgreen:

17. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

Immigration groups clash over error
    A mix-up over the detention of eight Brazilians in Lee sparked controversy over immigrants' rights.

Friday, August 10
    LEE — An immigration raid that led to the roundup of eight Brazilians on Aug. 1 has underscored concerns of immigrants' rights groups and has led to a mistaken accusation that the state police collaborated with federal agents.
    The Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) division of the Homeland Security Department dispatched a "fugitive operations" team to 19 Olive St. on Aug. 1 at 5:30 a.m. in search of Neimar Rodriguez, a man authorities say had been ordered to leave the country.
    Although they did not find Rodriguez, the agents detained eight others, who later were taken to a Rhode Island holding facility.
    Attorney Michele Sisselman of Watertown, a consultant to Berkshire Immigrant Center in Pittsfield, met with the eight last weekend in Rhode Island. She passed along information gathered from the detainees to civil rights groups here and in Boston, who denounced the state police for collaborating in the roundup in violation of Gov. Deval L. Patrick's directive that state authorities remain at arm's length from immigration matters that fall under federal purview. However, the state police in this instance were not involved; police from the local Lee Police Department had been asked by ICE agents to stand by while they searched for Rodriguez, according to Lee Sgt. Joseph Buffis.

When asked Wednesday if state police were involved, Buffis replied, "Absolutely not."
    The immigrant center issued statements challenging state police actions, and the American Civil Liberties Union also denounced state police involvement, as did the Massachusetts Immigrants and Refugee Advocacy Coalition.
    The accusation made its way this week to the governor's office, which also spent time investigating the matter, a Massachusetts Immigrants and Refugee Advocacy Coalition spokesman said Wednesday.
    Late Wednesday, Sisselman apologized, explaining that she had passed on mistaken information provided by the eight detainees, who believed that the state police were involved.
    "There has been a misunderstanding: These people thought they were being detained by state police," she said.
    She and other advocates said the immigrants were aware of ongoing controversy over state police involvement with ICE raids.
    State police also have been accused of initiating immigration status inquiries during routine traffic stops, a practice that has been restricted by the governor but has nevertheless instilled distrust of law enforcement among immigrants who may be victims of crime or witnesses to crime.
    "It's because there is so much fear in the Berkshires of law enforcement among immigrants, and this is how they expressed it to me," Sisselman said. "It was a mistake, and I passed it on."
    Shuyo Ohno, spokesman for the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition, said that he spent much of yesterday dealing with the Lee allegations and that he appreciated Sisselman's apology.
    He said she is a credible advocate, with "no ax to grind."
    Both he and Anjali Waikur, of the advocacy coalition, said that any police agency involved with immigration enforcement will engender mistrust among immigrants in their communities.
    Brooke Mead, of Berkshire Immigrant Center, said the growing perception is that all law enforcement officials are agents of immigration agencies. It is a problem both nationally and locally, where the Berkshires has the second fastest-growing immigrant population in the state.
    "People are living in fear," Ohno said.
    Buffis said federal agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement came to the police station at 5:30 a.m. on Aug. 1 to notify local officers that they were seeking Rodriguez.
    Lee Police dispatched two cruisers to stand by at either end of Olive Street, while an ICE van went to the residence.
    A car left the driveway with four occupants, and ICE officers asked Lee Police to stop the vehicle, which they did, Buffis said.
    ICE officers detained the three women and a man in the car, and then detained three other men and another woman in the house.
    Paula Grenier, a spokeswoman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said the identities of those detained are not public.
    She said that the eight detainees all were found to be without proper documentation, although Sisselman said three were here legally, and that all had entered the United States through airports, with legal passports and documentation. Some had overstayed their allotted time limit.
    Grenier said there are more than 600,000 immigration fugitives — people who have been ordered deported but who have not left — and that 20,000 fugitive arrests have been made during the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30.
    Despite misplaced accusations this week, Mead said the state police have engaged in "profiling" behaviors in many instances.
    "Stories of local immigrants facing discriminatory treatment by the state police, being detained and, in some cases, deported have become commonplace over the past few months," Mead said. "These cases have established an atmosphere of distrust among our immigrant community, (which) creates a public safety concern, as people fearful of the police will not come forward to report or act as witnesses for crimes.
    Anthony Collins, a Hartford, Conn., immigration attorney who represented four of the eight defendants during a hearing on Wednesday, said three posted $1,500 bonds on the condition that they leave the country. Those three had pre-existing plane tickets to return to Brazil, Sisselman said this week, adding that she believed they were within their legal rights to be in the United States.

Hey sisselman~
    :up_yours:

18. OutOfManyOne

OutOfManyOne New Member

What BS, lock them all up. We've been hitting them with not only 90-10, but 90-24b for fake brazilian licenses and some PDs even uttering.

19. kttref

kttref New Member

I wish that would fly!

20. Dragnet

Dragnet New Member

That's great. So when Chelsea PD arrests known MS13 gang bangers, they are not to cooperate with Immigration. Great idea seeing that MS13 is in bed with Al Qaeda and Hezbollah and they may be the 1st street gang to be hit with RICO charges. Political correctness wins out again. Disgraceful! DRAGNET

21. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

The Chelsea PD cant arrest illegals because the whole city will be under arrest!!!:) (job security)

22. wethammer

wethammer New Member

Just curious....how do Mass LE Officers handle suspected illegal aliens? I know you hookem' & bookem' if they've done a crime but what about the ones gathering onstreet corners lookin' fer work?:/:

23. kttref

kttref New Member

...Why? You worried?

24. Andy0921

Andy0921 MassCops Member

Some unions actually endorsed the mayor of New Haven for Governor.

25. I find this disgusting. I was impressed by the Chief of Police in NH that arrested the illegal for Tresspass. The Federal Government needs to appoint
    Local Law Enforcement Officers as they do with the DEA Task Force Program.
    These people are illegal, the law is being broken. We as US citizens are becoming second class citizens. Lets give the tools to our local law enforcement to do the job. Illegal is Illegal. Wake up politicians. I confide in my local law enforcement and aplaud them for keeping our communities safe. Now is the time for the Feds (The Politicians) to clean the communities and return American back to the legal residents and citizens.