1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fisher Cats Had Been Suburban Legend

POSTED: 2:30 pm EST November 9, 2005
UPDATED: 2:40 pm EST November 9, 2005

SANDWICH, Mass. -- Authorities finally have proof that fisher cats -- members of the weasel family -- are indeed habitating on Cape Cod.

The often-vicious animals mostly have been suburban legend, with people reporting sightings for nearly two years. But there were never any photos to prove their existence.

That was until Tuesday, when Sandwich police Officer Bruce Lawrence found a fisher cat that had been struck and killed by a car on Route 130 near the Massachusetts Military Reservation. The animal was 23 inches long, had a bushy tail and sharp teeth, and weighed 11 pounds.

Thomas French, of the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, told the Cape Cod Times that Lawrence's discovery was the first confirmation that fisher cats have made their way across the Cape Cod Canal. (See pictures, learn more on MassWildlife site.)

Fisher cats nearly died out in the 1800s after forests were cleared and they were hunted for fur. But reforestation allowed them to repopulate southern New England.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
That is 1 bad-ass animal for its size. We had one in the attic of our camp up in the Plymouth NH area. Its 1 SOB you dont want to approach. Ruger .22 to the head did the trick....

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
One lives in the vast acreage behind me. It makes a very distinct sound nobody recognized until one of the neighbors asked the EPO's. They presume it migrated from somwhere. I have since set up claymores in the woodline :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Big deal! I've found evidence of weasel-like animals in the 'command' staff of the state police! They are known by their scientific name: Flynnosapien Fellatus. I reckon that Koz's solution would also prove effective in this case!

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
I had a conversation with a certain member of the State Police re: fisher cats. That subject came up somewhere between his well-spoken plethora of advice and coos to his pet cat, "Awwww, look at the kitty! Such a good kitty-kitty-kitty!":kitty:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.