Officer among 12 killed in mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California | MassCops

Officer among 12 killed in mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by kwflatbed, Nov 8, 2018.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG] KARMA ALLEN, JUSTIN DOOM and EMILY SHAPIRO,ABC News 3 minutes 41 seconds ago
    • Reactions
    • Reblog on Tumblr
    • Tweet
    • Officer among 12 killed in mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

At least 12 people were killed and perhaps a dozen others injured late Wednesday at a packed Southern California bar when a gunman dressed in black burst in, tossed smoke grenades and fired off dozens of rounds, witnesses and authorities said.

The suspect was found dead inside the bar, police said. Authorities are working to determine who he is and what his motive may have been.

Sgt. Ron Helus was among the dozen killed, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.

Helus was one of the first on the scene and was fired on multiple times.

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

3. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

He was a hero, first in the door and confronted the killer, and may have caused the killer to self-select. There were 6 off duty cops in the bar from various agencies. Apparently none were carrying their guns. Some courageously blocked patrons with their bodies. I'd rather shoot back than act as a bullet sponge....ALWAYS CARRY, if you're going out in a group you should have a designated shooter/driver.

I like going out for a night too, but I'd rather take it easy on the drinking than have to live the rest of my life wishing I had brought my gun. That's a fate worse than death.

mpd61, 38bigblock, Drebbin and 4 others like this.
  4. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Carrying while drinking is a no go. Policy violation and more.

FTH, Sooty and visible25 like this.
  5. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Another good reason to have bar/nightclub details. Not saying it would have drastically changed the outcome in this circumstance but it does serve as a deterrent for many bad things.

FTH and Goose like this.
  6. Tailon630

Tailon630 MassCops Member

I think this is more of a we need more bar/nightclub details then we should be carrying as we go out for a night.. I bet if one of those off duty cops carried and fired upon the killer it would be a shit storm after the fact and they would be questioned more than the person who did the shooting.. thats the shitty part of this time, they'd chalk it up to a guy with "mental illness" for the killing but the guy who saved lives and kills one man gets prosecuted for carrying while at a bar and around booze would be questioned for carrying in the first place... For those cops in the bar i get it, they did everything they could with what was presented, still heroes to me.

Sgt. Helus is a Hero, Rest easy brother, We have it from here....

7. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Thousand Oaks is only about a 15 minute drive from the northwestern border of Los Angeles so it's pretty close. It's a very nice and safe city with very little violent crime and many police and fire personnel living there.

From a very reliable source, this particular bar had a "no guns" policy, even for police, which is why there was a security officer at the front door. He was the first to be shot. This is why none of the officers had a weapon on their persons. It was the "perfect storm" so to speak against the off-duty officers. A very safe city, drinking alcohol, a no gun policy, and a trained US Marine on a mission, all led to these people being victims.

The tenured CHP officer (who recently completed his second combat tour overseas), his probationer, and the Ventura County Sheriff's sergeant all entered the bar together because when they arrived at scene, the shooting was still going on. The suspect was apparently waiting for them near the door because he immediately fired on them as soon as they entered, striking the sergeant several times. The CHP officer had an M-4 and put three rounds into the suspect. He then retreated to a back office where he shot himself.

From what I've heard, both the on and off-duty officers were all heroes at this event for various reasons. Unfortunately one of them lost his life. May he rest in peace.

FTH, 38bigblock, Drebbin and 4 others like this.
  8. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Thank you for sharing the details, sounds like a lot of heroism was displayed by all involved. Was the security guard armed by chance?

9. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I have not heard if the security officer was armed or not so I don't know yet. I'm sure we'll find out in the next couple of days.

To make matters worse, there's now a huge brush fire in that same immediate area. Lots of people are being evacuated because of it. Last I heard it's over 8,000 acres.

10. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Tragic!

11. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

But are you really living if you've reached the point of having a designated shooter?

12. Hush

Think of it like a designated driver...one can act as both. You can pretend to live in a world where that's not necessary, but these 6 off duty officers will live the rest of their lives with the screams and gunshots rattling around their brains, to me that's a fate worse than death.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

13. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

When I worked in S FL we were mandated to carry off-duty. Firearm, extra mag and cuffs...Mandated!!

LA Copper and Sooty like this.
  14. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Even while drinking?

15. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

When you go drinking, your most likely going to need a dd, that's why people prepare for it, because it's most likely going to happen. Having someone not drink just to prepare for a mass shooting is over the top. Plus you'd have to make sure alot of your friends have ltc's. I can imagine meeting someone in a bar and asking why they're not drinking...
    "In case a mass shooting happens, you know, just being responsible"
    There's being prepared, and then there's letting these shitbags cause us to live in fear. We can't do that.

16. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

If your agency policy says no guns at bars, it’s no guns. Unless you don’t mind getting fired and losing any pensions and protections you might have had.

17. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Luckily you don't lose your pension just for getting fired.

18. R2D2

R2D2 MassCops Member

Or you move to a state where carrying at bars are legal, drinking while carrying is legal (as long as under .08). You work for a federal agency. And you say FUCK Masschusetts. Then carrying while drinking ISNT a no go, or a policy violation.

mpd61 likes this.
  19. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

Best post in the thread. I couldn’t say it better myself. Just remember, don’t do back flips with your gun in your waistband !

Bloodhound, Goose and Hush like this.
  20. Hush

We'll leave back flips to the feds.

Goose and 38bigblock like this.
  21. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Screenshot_20181109-204936.png
    I ALWAYS carry just in case...

Bloodhound, Goose and 38bigblock like this.
  22. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Guess most of you haven’t been in an OIS nor sued in court...

23. Hush

Here's one guy who wishes he carried a gun. The news has widely shared the first half of his video, they don't show this part.
    Lizette♡ on Instagram: “I made my account public now you can repost this m.”

Nobody's telling you what to do, carrying is a choice. This bar banned guns even by off duty LEO. Their unarmed security guard ate the first few bullets. I chose not to patronize those places, but that's just me. I know NOT carrying will haunt the off duty guys there for the rest of your life. It's a statistical rarity, but I'm sure nobody was glad they obeyed law and policy that night.

38bigblock likes this.
  24. JimBrown

JimBrown MassCops Member

Most of the people I drink with don't have ltc's, so having a designated shooter wouldn't work unless it was me every time and that won't happen. Different strokes i guess. And i'm sure these guys wish they had a weapon on them, terrible situation.

Hush likes this.
  25. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

Power full video, to mad it won't make the main stream media. I've already seen the video of the poor mom saying keep you damn prayers I don't want them I want gun control now. But I'm expecting to much from the media to show a balance.

38bigblock likes this.