1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off-duty Westwood cop, others, charged in Milford bar fights

By Sara Withee / News Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 17, 2004

MILFORD -- Closing time at a local bar over the weekend erupted into a parking-lot melee, ending with the arrest of four people, including an off-duty Westwood cop who has been placed on administrative leave.

Police from six area towns responded when the fights erupted at the American Athletic Club early Saturday morning.

Detail officers working at the AAC called for outside help just before 2 a.m., after employees tried to break up a fist fight on the dance floor between Ricky Tomasello, 28, of Canton and another man, police said.

The parking lot outside the East Main Street bar was even worse, detail officers said.

"The parking lot crowd was out of control," Sgt. David Sacco said in a police report. "I estimate, at one point, at least 25-30 people were involved in some kind of physical altercation."

Inside, Tomasello and an unidentified man -- for whom police are now seeking an arrest warrant -- parted as the crowd moved toward the door, police said, only for the other man to fight with a man identified as Westwood Police Officer Ryan McCarthy.

Milford Officer Sacco and a private citizen tried to separate the two men, but McCarthy pushed past them and placed the other other man in a headlock, police said.

When the man broke free, he punched McCarthy in the head, police said.

McCarthy, 25, was charged with two counts of assault and battery and disorderly conduct.

He faces one assault charge for fighting with the unnamed man and one for later hitting Dennis Keefe, 25, of Hopedale, police said.

On the job in Westwood since last March, McCarthy has been placed on administrative leave while the department investigates whether he violated any of its rules or regulations, Sgt. Leo Hoban said yesterday.

He will continue to draw his $750-per-week salary during the review, Police Chief William Chase said.

Keefe, meanwhile, was charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and assault and battery, police said.

Tomasello was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Police say he made three attempts to run.

Stacey Boyd, 23, of Milford, was also charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and resisting arrest. Police say Boyd was yelling and cursing in the parking lot while standing in the way of exiting vehicles.

Boyd refused police requests to stop blocking the cars and swung at an officer when he reached for her arm, police said.

She continued to struggle, leaving Sacco and Milford police officers Nicholas Sullo and Paul Castiglione unable to put her in handcuffs.

After warning Boyd, the officers placed her on the ground stomach-to-pavement and arrested her, police said.

Another 25-year-old man from Hopkinton was also placed in protective custody before the officers from Milford, Medway, Hopedale, Mendon and Holliston cleared the bar.

Boyd, Tomasello, McCarthy and Keefe will all be arraigned in Milford District Court Thursday, police said.

News staff writer Parna Sarkar-Basu contributed to this report.

·
Registered
147 Posts
shawnr76,

Don't judge someone so quickly!!!! That could be you someday. I happen to now Ryan. He is a good kid and it is totally out of his character. He made a mistake. Maybe he might loose his job over it and if he does well thats something he will have to live with I hope he dosen't though. Lets not judge him before ALL the facts come out.

·
Registered
968 Posts
luap112 said:
shawnr76,

Don't judge someone so quickly!!!! That could be you someday. I happen to now Ryan. He is a good kid and it is totally out of his character. He made a mistake. Maybe he might loose his job over it and if he does well thats something he will have to live with I hope he dosen't though. Lets not judge him before ALL the facts come out.
You know what.....maybe you're right on me rushing to judgement. Rather than think the scenario through, I wrote down my immediate frustration. I will say that it still is disappointing to see someone who is younger than myself and on the job mixing it up with others at a bar, when myself and others are trying so hard to get on the job period. I am sure Ryan is a good person and I am not saying that because he was in a fight he is now bad. I am saying that he is a police officer whether off-duty or not and with that are the higher standards that come along with it. Believe me, before I got married and had kids, I was always at bars and clubs on the weekends and have had my share of fights but I also understand that once you have the honor to be an officer, Integrity kicks in and the things you do when nobody is looking are just as important as the things you do while in uniform. So if it was a big mix up, maybe he will get lucky and keep his job and next time someone gets tough on him.....he will walk away from it. Think about it like this.....Even if he won the fight, he still lost. Mixing it up with someone and risking your job is almost a no win situation.

G

·
A word to you younger braves out there....cops and closing time don't mix. The old equation is alcohol + testosterone = fight, multiple that by last call + female companion, well you see where I'm going with this. Learn this officer's lesson before you have to learn it yourself. No matter if he retains his job, he will NEVER live this incident down. Fellow cops have very long memories and be quite cruel. Don't start your career off on the wrong foot. Off the soapbox...

Oops, gotta go, the Prezie Pub is opening in a few minutes. I wouldn't want to miss my breakfast Bud.

Guinness2429

·
Registered
97 Posts
Guinness2429 said:
Oops, gotta go, the Prezie Pub is opening in a few minutes. I wouldn't want to miss my breakfast Bud.

Guinness2429
Breakfast Bud!!!! that sounds blasphemous. If your gonna start the day that way at least look to the emerald isle for sustenance. :pint:

·
2,297 Posts
dfc2502 said:
Guinness2429 said:

Guinness2429
Breakfast Bud!!!! that sounds blasphemous. If your gonna start the day that way at least look to the emerald isle for sustenance. :pint:
His screenname IS Guinness. I am sure "Bud" was just a figure of speech. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
I feel we as police officers need to realize that those good ole days of bar fighting in the past are over the day we put on that badge (what great training it was though). Don't put yourself in the enviorment if you arent willing to accept the consequences and remember booze :beer: , broads and testosterone don't mix especially if others know you are a cop. Don't get me wrong, I use to love a good bar fight after a few beers; however, I was young then and the USMC MP's would just beat the crap out of you and send you on your way :BE: (no criminal charges). Food for thought; in order to enforce the law we must obey the law.

G

·
I'm on the Atkins Diet, so it is Bud. Usually I'd go with the pure liquid carbohydrate -- Guinness...Brilliant!!

Guinness2429

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Didnt it say that Ryan PUSHED past a Police Officer and another to assualt the other guy? That right there is what I have a problem with. He should have seen the trouble and got the hell out of there or at least try to lay low. Not assault another in front of a Police Officer aftetr the Officer tried to stop him, That just doesnt sit well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll tell you what I like about this article: Proof that police officers are human too. And aren't we all.

Gil: What happened to the beer toasting icon?

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
MARINECOP said:
I feel we as police officers need to realize that those good ole days of bar fighting in the past are over the day we put on that badge (what great training it was though). Don't put yourself in the enviorment if you arent willing to accept the consequences and remember booze :beer: , broads and testosterone don't mix especially if others know you are a cop. Don't get me wrong, I use to love a good bar fight after a few beers; however, I was young then and the USMC MP's would just beat the crap out of you and send you on your way :BE: (no criminal charges). Food for thought; in order to enforce the law we must obey the law.
I agree dude absolutely!!
In a bar while on probation, shame on him
You would think he would take off once the police arrived.
The badge + alcohol + environment + attitude + women = trouble :pirate:

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Oh sheesh, a cop gets into a fist fight at a bar and it makes the paper. It's actually pretty common. I can think of numerous occasions where cops where either fighting with others or each other after closing time. Yeah, he probably was toasted and feeling a little bit like a tough guy... who hasn't been there before? (If you say you haven't, we'll all know you're lying!) Hopefully this will just get brushed under the rug. He's young and wasn't in his right mind at the time... it'd be too bad if he loses his job over something stupid like this.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Now Look here Missy!

Not all of us here have had their picture taken with a famous Sheriff while sh*tfaced in D.C. And the majority of us go home after work, and would NEVER get caught drinking and fighting. (keyword=caught) I learned early on how to run from the law (MP's/SP) in the service of my country.
:t:
Which brings up the point of why VETS make better police officers. (Of course there are exceptions to every rule) We're better at escape and evasion!
:rock:

Back to the thread: The real lesson here is we ALL put our pants on the same, and have strengths/weaknesses. All anyone can do is be alert to AVOID such situations whenever possible
:wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just remember guys... this is the paper reporting this. If anyone has had interaction with the press then they should know that it usually is not the gospel. I also know Ryan and like most of us, he is a good man. I know I have made mistakes in the past that I'm not too proud of but a true man will learn from his mistakes.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
If you think what this guy did was bad, just come into Boston on any given Weekend night and observe all the Off Duty Boston Officers partying. That may throw you for a loop

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Oh sheesh, a cop gets into a fist fight at a bar and it makes the paper. It's actually pretty common. I can think of numerous occasions where cops where either fighting with others or each other after closing time.

Ya, maybe back in the 70s!!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Macop said:
Oh sheesh, a cop gets into a fist fight at a bar and it makes the paper. It's actually pretty common. I can think of numerous occasions where cops where either fighting with others or each other after closing time.

Ya, maybe back in the 70s!!
WHAT??!! A cop in western mass making the papers??!! LOL! I wouldn't have ever suspected. :shock: :lol: :wink:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.