Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing another gun.. to carry off duty.. Just curious what everyone else is carrying and if there are any suggestions as to what to buy and where... Thanks for the help..
Stay Safe..
-PVD

·
Registered
118 Posts
My opinion is if you like and are comfortable with the operation of the gun you carry on duty, then look for the same gun in a smaller frame size for off duty carry.

So if you carry a full size Glock, look for either the compact or the sub-compact Glock.

There is a really nice Glock 19 on consignment at 4 Seasons in Woburn right now :D .

·
Subscribing Member
1,362 Posts
I carry either a Glock 23 or a Sig 232 they are 40 S&W and 380 calibers respectfully. I like the Glock and being a big guy I can hide it easily. But I do like the Sig for the summer it a lot smaller so it hides well under an untucked shirt, but I do not like the mag release on the Sig but it is real nice in the hand so it’s a trade it off. I recommend either one

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can never go wrong with a Glock. Cheap, reliable, and very comfortable in the hand. If you are a medium to a large frame person I would suggest the Glock 19 (9mm) or 23 (.40 cal) or if you are a small individual with small hands then I would go with the 27, 30 or 36 sub compact, all great and easy to conceal.

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I said it before, and I'll say it again. The HK P2000 is my pick for best Off Duty weapon. It's expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. I carry the full-size USP and was going to go with the USP Compact for off duty carry, but when I held the P2000 it fit much nicer in my hands and seemed easier to conceal than the Compact. You can modify the grip to suit your needs and the slide release is on both sides of the weapon. I got a horizontal paddle holster for the small of the back, and it works excellent. They even make a P2000 Compact but in my opinion it was too small and I just could not get used to gripping it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I own a Wlather PPKS and I love it, it is small and shoots awesome. However I have to agree with john77, it is always smarter to stick with a smaller version of your duty gun. The reason is that if and when you have to activate yourself off duty, you are going to react to the situation with your duty weapon weather that is what you have on you or not. So if your duty weapon has no safety, you are probably not going to remember the safety on your off duty gun when you are under stress. That is just my two cents. Take care brother.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tackleberry";p="70549 said:
I said it before, and I'll say it again. The HK P2000 is my pick for best Off Duty weapon. quote]

Do u have any pics of it.. just curious..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here are pictures and specs for the H&K P2000

http://www.hkpro.com/p2000.htm

and the P2000 Subcompact

http://www.hkpro.com/p2000k.htm

Do realize however that NO H&K (new) handguns can be sold in MA by MA FFLs (even to LE) legally. MGL Ch. 140 (Ch. 180 of the Acts of 1998 to be specific) gave NO LE exemption on sales of handguns that weren't tested and approved by EOPS.

Therefore, any H&K handguns would have to be purchased by the PD on letterhead. They could then transfer the gun to the individual LEO legally on an FA-10 form.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts

This is the Kel Tech P11. 10+1 9mm (will accept S&W large capacity mags. so if your duty weapon is one you will be good as far as ammo compatibility) priced at around $350. Same thing as the H&K though if your dept. will not order it then you are SOL.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
one more vote for the sig 232.

·
Registered
62 Posts
bbelichick";p="70553 said:
Walther PPK/S .380 w/ Pachmayr grips. Try Federal Hydra-Shok loads.

Small, concealable and accurate.

My vote goes to Walter PPK/S .380
Excellent gun. Approx. cost $450.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I agree Walther PPK/S is an excellent gun. In fact, I was looking to buy one until I came across the P232. In my opinion, Kel Tec is garbage; I witnessed a catastrophic malfunction on the range with a brand new Kel Tec after about 50 rounds. It seems you get what you pay for.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,755 Posts
If size don't count:

m1911 of quality manufacture
Sig P220
Sig P229
Smith K/L frame .357

If size/weight matter,

Glock 26 or 27
Smith Titanium snubbies

·
Registered
456 Posts
For recreational shooting, buy whatever suits your fancy, BUT if your life may depend on your using the gun, my advice is to carry (if possible) as close a clone to your duty weapon as possible.

In a high-stress situation, muscle memory kicks in and you do only "what you trained to do". Thus, different manuals of arms will confuse your reaction and you could end up shot/killed/sliced before you catch up with what you need to do!

I completed 3 defensive handgun courses this Summer where two internationally known instructors (both former LEOs) stressed us to a point that many of us "fumbled". I know that I did!

I carry a 1911, P99 and a PPK/S, all depending on weather, clothing, etc. and since they all have different manual of arms, I found myself forgetting the safety a few times when drawing the 1911 (which I shot in all three classes), when pre-stress the instructor told us that the next shooting we would do would be a failure drill (2 COM, 1 head) and then lulled us into a lesser state of alert before yelling "Shoot him" I found myself firing 4 COM (no head shots) while many others shot all sorts of variations (many not doing the 2 and 1 drill).

So, as long as you can "pre-plan your emergency" it won't matter :wink: otherwise use a smaller model of the same gun and train early and often.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Irishpride";p="70592 said:

This is the Kel Tech P11. 10+1 9mm (will accept S&W large capacity mags. so if your duty weapon is one you will be good as far as ammo compatibility) priced at around $350. Same thing as the H&K though if your dept. will not order it then you are SOL.
I have one and carry it often. The only problem I've had was with some crappy south american ammo that I got at a gun show. The best thing to do if you get one new is break it down before use and give it a "fluff & buff".
If I couldn't count on it to save my life, I wouldn't be carrying it.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
What do you carry for a duty gun?

PVD24";p="70520 said:
I'm looking into purchasing another gun.. to carry off duty.. Just curious what everyone else is carrying and if there are any suggestions as to what to buy and where... Thanks for the help..
Stay Safe..
-PVD

1 - 20 of 38 Posts