Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An off-duty Seattle police officer was detained Saturday after shooting a member of the Hells Angels motorcycle club during a bar brawl at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota, police said.
The officer, who was not identified, was involved in an early-morning fracas Saturday at the Loud American Roadhouse, according to a statement from Sturgis police.
The confrontation erupted about 1 a.m. between members of the Hells Angels and the Iron Pigs, a motorcycle club made up of police and firefighters. There were about 500 people in the bar at the time and a rock band was playing, according to the Rapid City Journal.
Two gunshots were fired, and the shooter was identified by Sturgis police as a law-enforcement officer.
There was no word on the condition of the victim, who was hospitalized.
The Seattle Police Department was notified Saturday morning, according to a statement issued in the evening by Seattle police spokesman Sean Whitcomb.
The statement said that four other Seattle officers were also present when the Sturgis shooting occurred.
Whitcomb declined to name the officers.
All five officers involved were placed on administrative reassignment and relieved of duty pending the investigation by South Dakota authorities, Whitcomb said.
Sturgis Police Chief Jim Bush told the Rapid City Journal that police detained and questioned numerous people at the scene but that no arrests had been made and nobody was in custody.
"We're still trying to ascertain for sure who did the shooting," Bush told the newspaper. "We have suspects. We have a lot of information to put together."
Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske has dispatched a team of homicide and internal-affairs investigators to Sturgis to gather information, Whitcomb said.
"The Seattle Police Department considers this a matter of utmost seriousness," the Seattle police statement said.
Sturgis police said in their statement they will investigate the shooting, aided by federal, state and county law enforcement, and the results will be presented to an investigative grand jury.
The famous Sturgis rally draws hundreds of thousands of motorcycle riders to the small South Dakota town every summer. This year's rally ends today.
SEATTLE TIMES

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't know about you guys and girls but I have a Harley and get asked by friends to join police oriented bike groups....this is EXACTLY the reason I respectfully decline all the time.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I don't know about you guys and girls but I have a Harley and get asked by friends to join police oriented bike groups....this is EXACTLY the reason I respectfully decline all the time.
I was actually thinking that your screen name had something to do with the club.

G

·
"Police" motorcycle clubs which emulate the 1%'ers are a complete disgrace to the badge; it's as absurd as a bunch of organized criminals joining the auxiliary police.

I can just imagine the hours of entertainment the Hells Angels, Outlaws, etc. have had as they joke about the shithead cops who try to look like them. It's embarrassing to even think about it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Delta thats the other reason I say no...

And no my name is an email address I've had forever..."road dawg" was already taken when I started my account..haha...funny thing is that is one of the groups friends want me to join...being a Marine and a cop and all....just can't do it.....granted they do good things but not for me....Its just looking for trouble I think...

"Police" motorcycle clubs which emulate the 1%'ers are a complete disgrace to the badge; it's as absurd as a bunch of organized criminals joining the auxiliary police.
Agreed 1000%....far as second...that like Sheriffs deputies??....when I was CO there was a Vigilante hired as a temp CO...CONFIRMED by the Hells Angel doing time on the tier who thought he was working there just to kill him....poor background or big donation???

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
lawdog the way you shit on all the sheriff's i am shocked that you were once a CO. I've walked the tiers many a nights, have since moved on to better things, but have respect for those guys that do it for a living.

G

·
lawdog the way you shit on all the sheriff's i am shocked that you were once a CO. I've walked the tiers many a nights, have since moved on to better things, but have respect for those guys that do it for a living.
I think you have to agree that a 1%er being hired as a CO is a good indicator of either outrageous patronage or someone fucking up the background check.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
i ride an average of 10,000 miles a year. as a Blue Knight attending numerous rallies and on occasion have seen angels , outlaws , etc.

when this element is present i just go the other way. not because there's ever been a problem . just don't feel like keeping the same company.

years ago was offered to join another law enforcement bike club as a "prospect" . this club had a few run-ins with the hells angels on revere beach and it didn't really interest me.

the Blue Knights is a great organization for anyone interested in joining a family oriented club.

G

·
years ago was offered to join another law enforcement bike club as a "prospect" . this club had a few run-ins with the hells angels on revere beach and it didn't really interest me.
That's exactly why I would ban membership in those organizations for police officers if I were in charge of such things. If the Hells Angels started driving around in pimped-out CVPI's wearing dark blue uniforms with patches and badges saying "Hells Angels PD", exactly what type of reaction should they expect from the real police?

the Blue Knights is a great organization for anyone interested in joining a family oriented club.
The Blue Knights seem harmless. Pretty high whacker quotient, though.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts

this is true. could tell some stories................:)

G

·

this is true. could tell some stories................:)
Oh you mean people like the SPECIAL from a town just north of Boston who got caught pulling speeders over on RT 290 yesterday afternoon with all the pretty Whelen blue LEDs on his motorcycle and his SPECIAL badge ???????

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
Oh you mean people like the SPECIAL from a town just north of Boston who got caught pulling speeders over on RT 290 yesterday afternoon with all the pretty Whelen blue LEDs on his motorcycle and his SPECIAL badge ???????

wow ! that's a new one on me.

one episode stands out in particular . too long to get into but it ended with a call from a US Marshall 8-O

that was ugly.

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Prosecutors in South Dakota have dismissed a felony assault charge against a Seattle police detective who shot a member of the Hells Angels motorcycle club last month during a bar fight.
Meade County State Attorney Jesse Sondreal said Monday that an aggravated-assault charge against Detective Ron Smith has been dropped because "the investigation that I have reviewed indicates he was assaulted and it was premeditated."
Earlier this month, Sondreal dropped a felony perjury charge against Smith in connection with the same incident.
Smith still faces a misdemeanor charge stemming from the shooting of Joseph McGuire on Aug. 9.
Smith said he shot McGuire after McGuire and other members of the Hells Angels jumped him inside the Loud American Roadhouse during the annual Sturgis, S.D., Motorcycle Rally. Smith attended the rally as a member of the Iron Pigs, a motorcycle club made up of law-enforcement officers and firefighters.
In addition to the aggravated-assault and perjury charges, Smith was charged with a misdemeanor count of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.
"The law-enforcement investigation, submitted to this office, establishes that Ron Smith was defending himself from a violent premeditated attack and he responded in a manner which was neither excessive nor unreasonable under the circumstances," Sondreal said in a news release Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just a guess, but I wonder if Maybe SD has a law that allows property owners to ban firearms, and this bar had a posted sign doing so...if that were the case, he could still face charges. I have no idea if this is the case or not, it's just speculation.

Excerpted from HR 218:

"`(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--
`(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property;"

·
Registered
779 Posts
Pump the brakes Topcop....I just saw this post...since you mentioned it....PLEASE.....show me exactly where I shit on CO'S ...ANYWHERE...as a matter of practice I generally make it a point to go out of my way to say my comments are NOT directed at CO'S in any post regarding Sheriffs unless it is to say what a difficult thankless job it is.....they are consistently lumped in with DEPUTIES though because at the end of the day they all fall under the same department...unfortunately for them. All the excess, abuses, and wastes committed on the taxpayers by these guys group them all together. I spent almost 8 years at a SO waiting to get on somewhere else, ALL ON THE BLOCKS because I had no juice or dimes and wouldn't carry a sign to get a better job. I know what they do on the tiers. Its the hacks that I have a problem with.

AND WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH POLICE MOTORCYCLE GROUPS??

·
Registered
253 Posts
Anybody here of any revenge plots directed towards officers over this? Don't know if it is true but I heard that they were looking at taking out a LE motorcycle officer as revenge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts