Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off-Duty Illinois Correctional Officer Shot, Killed by Co-Worker in Prank Gone Bad
Friend of Victim Thought Wife Was Being Carjacked
DON BABWIN
Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- An off-duty correctional officer shot and killed a friend and co-worker Saturday whom he mistakenly believed was trying to carjack a vehicle being driven by his wife, police said.

Arlin McClendon, 36, was killed while trying to pull a joke on a longtime friend in an area where two dozen carjackings have occurred in less than a year, authorities said.

''It is a tragic accident, a case of mistaken identity,'' said Calumet City police Sgt. Larry Smith. ''The victim and the shooter were lifelong friends. They worked together.''

McClendon was driving in the suburb just south of Chicago at about 1 a.m. with a colleague when he spotted a sport utility vehicle that belonged to his friend.

''McClendon began honking and flashing his lights in an attempt to get the vehicle to pull over,'' Smith said.

What McClendon did not know was that his friend's wife was driving the SUV with the couple's 4-year-old child. His friend, who authorities did not identify Saturday, was in a third vehicle, Smith said.

Once the vehicle stopped, as a joke, McClendon ran up to it and started pounding on one of the windows, said Bill Cunningham, a spokesman for the Cook County Sheriff's Department, which runs the jail where the two men worked.

He also began pulling on a door handle.

The woman's husband did not recognize McClendon, whom he had worked with for years at the Cook County Jail, and mistakenly believed his wife was being carjacked, Smith said.

''He got out of his car and identified himself as a police officer and shot his friend,'' he said.

McClendon, who was shot multiple times, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

Over the last six months, 24 carjackings have occurred in Calumet City and ''that may have played into'' the off-duty officer's belief that his wife was being carjacked, Cunningham said.

The two men both started working at the jail in 1992.

Correctional officers are not issued firearms, but are allowed to carry weapons while off-duty, he said.

No charges had been filed.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
wow, that really sux. i know that area-it sux! i can understood why he might have believed that his wife was being jacked.

·
Super Moderator
7,134 Posts
Re: Off-Duty IL Correctional Officer Killed in Prank Gone Ba

Why did a corrections officer identify himself as a police officer? :shock:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Reminds me of a "joke" a friend pulled on me when I was in the service: He came to my apartment and began pounding on my door claiming to the be the ex-husband of a girl I was dating at the time. I answered the door with a cocked and locked .45 in my hand! Real f*cking funny....you almost got yourself shot, asshole!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Yeah. When I was living in a studio apartment (you know, just one big room) I had a buddy of mine who took some mailorder locksmith course decide to demonstrate his "expert lockpicking skills"--- at 2am.

After my buddy shit his pants, I put my 9mm back in the lockbox and called 9-1-1 back so they could alert the responding units that my apartment was not being broken into.. then I got to watch my buddy get cuffed for owning the lockpick. What a real good idea, don't ya think? There are some stupid shit people out there who have a really different various definations of what "funny" is...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

5811, Nope, him and I don't talk anymore... huh, I wonder why? :lol:

·
Registered
156 Posts

I wasn't there, obviously, and the article may not be 100% correct but this really sounds like a bad shoot. This guy could really get taken in a wrongful death suit. Laws might be alittle different in IL, but how can this guy say he thought his wife was in danger of great harm if the unarmed man was on the other side of his locked door. Dont' you think the guard that was shot would have raised his hands pretty quickly if he heard someone say "stop, police"?
I don't suggest that this guy needs to face charges or a suit, I'm sure it was a quick and stressful situation for him where he felt he needed to do something. It's going to be hell enough for him to live with the memory of it all.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Where can someone get off calling it a bad shoot when the only knowledge of the incident they have is what was said in the newspapers... and you know they cover all the facts, acurately and unbiasly. Maybe the CO had reason to believe he had a gun? Maybe he was gestering like he had a gun? Maybe he told the CO's wife that he had a gun. Maybe he thought his CO friend knew it was a joke and didn't comply with the hands up command. Maybe he spun around quickly and raised his hand like he was going to shoot the CO. Maybe... see, many unknown factors. So why call it a bad shoot? The article reads that there were several carjackings in this area before... perhaps the carjackers had guns in the previous attempts... seems a safe bet?

Dont' you think the guard that was shot would have raised his hands pretty quickly if he heard someone say "stop, police"?
Not if he thought his buddy recognized him and was playing along too.

·
Registered
156 Posts

JoninNH";p="59927 said:
Where can someone get off calling it a bad shoot when the only knowledge of the incident they have is what was said in the newspapers... and you know they cover all the facts, acurately and unbiasly."

I am going only by what was stated in the article, and if you re-read what I wrote you will see that my first line states that.

" Maybe the CO had reason to believe he had a gun? Maybe he was gestering like he had a gun? Maybe he told the CO's wife that he had a gun. Maybe he thought his CO friend knew it was a joke and didn't comply with the hands up command. "

There are tons of "maybes" and I understand that. My opinion is based soley on the description of the event. The CO that got shot was under the belief that he was running up to his buddy for this prank. He had no way of knowing that his friend was coming up behind him. If you were the CO prankster and you heard an officer announce himself don't you think that would stop you dead in what you were doing? I would think that would be the most likely reaction for most reasonable people in that postion, especially a CO.

"The article reads that there were several carjackings in this area before... perhaps the carjackers had guns in the previous attempts... seems a safe bet?

That's very likely, and that is one thing he could articulate on to explain his actions. I just don't beleive that by what was stated in the article he would *easily* be able to justify deadly force. I'm not trying to hang some man that I don't know because of a situation I didn't witness; I'm giving my opinion based on the basic info in the article.
By the article, he announced himself as a PO...........and landed multiple shots on his longtime friend. Who knows what happened in between those two events? Why would the prankster try to suprise his friend that carrys?
There are lots of questions and maybes regarding this or any situation.

For yours of asking "where can I get off calling this a bad shoot?"

"the article may not be 100% correct but this really sounds like a bad shoot." "I'm sure it was a quick and stressful situation for him where he felt he needed to do something."
I give my opinion on events based on the facts presented to me, just like anyone else in the world. I didn't commit to calling it bad, I gave reasons why it *could* have been bad. I'm sure the poor guy can't get any of these questions and maybes out of his head right now, and probably will have them forever.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Dan, my response to your post wasn't meant as an attack on you.

I am going only by what was stated in the article, and if you re-read what I wrote you will see that my first line states that.
I read that, and I think that there are not enough facts in the article to call it a good shoot or a bad shoot... you by you're own admisison say you don't have all the facts. :roll: We can agree that, unfortunately, the only person who has all the fact has to live with them for the rest of his life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.