Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An off-duty Chicago police officer shot a man who stabbed another man, apparently at random, outside an Orem restaurant, police say.
Both the stabbing victim and his attacker were in stable condition at separate hospitals Saturday. Their names have not been disclosed.
About 8 a.m. Saturday, a Boise man and his girlfriend were leaving the International House of Pancakes at 850 W. 1250 South. In the parking lot, Orem police said, a 33-year-old man approached the couple and startled them. The man apologized, but then began attacking the Boise man with a pair of scissors, police said.
An off-duty police officer saw the attack and went to help. The officer drew his gun and ordered the suspect to drop the weapon, police said. But when the suspect made another move to stab the victim, police said, the officer fired.
The shot wounded the attacker and he tried to run away, but the off-duty officer apprehended him. The stabbing victim suffered wounds to his head, neck and arm, police said.
Police said the attack was a stranger to the couple.
The off-duty officer was in Utah to provide instruction, Orem police said.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
HR 218 in use as intended...

Off-Duty Chicago Officer Stops Attack

By Steve Schmadeke, TRIBUNE REPORTER
Chicago Tribune

An off-duty Chicago police officer who had just finished eating breakfast Saturday morning at a pancake restaurant near Provo, Utah, may have saved the life of a man who was attacked in the parking lot by a mentally ill man wielding fabric scissors, police said.
Police in Orem, about 5 miles north of Provo, said a 28-year-old man from Boise, Idaho, and his girlfriend, who is from Provo, had finished breakfast at about 8 a.m. and were saying goodbye when Sergio W. Weffer, 33, of Salt Lake City approached them and said, "I'm sorry."
Weffer then began stabbing the man, slashing him in the face, neck and arm, police said. The man tumbled to the ground with Weffer on top of him.
The Chicago officer, a firearms instructor at the Chicago Police Academy who had been in Utah assisting at a law enforcement conference, was standing outside the restaurant waiting for his partner and planned to catch a flight back to Chicago after breakfast, police said.
The officer, whose identity Chicago and Orem police did not release, went to break up the fight and saw Weffer had what looked like a knife, police said. He pulled his firearm and ordered the man to stop, police said.
Instead, Weffer moved to stab the man again and the Chicago officer shot him. When Weffer tried to run away, the officer grabbed him and held him until Orem police arrived.
"We're glad he was there. We're glad he was prepared," Orem Police Sgt. Gordon Smith said. "Him stepping in meant the life of this other individual. I'm sure he never thought ... this would happen here. But we're very grateful he was there."
The Boise man was taken to Timpanogas Regional Hospital in Orem, where a hospital spokesman said he was treated and released later Saturday. Weffer was taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, where a spokeswoman said he was in fair condition.
Charges have not yet been filed against Weffer, a Utah County attorney's office employee said.
Two days before the attack, Weffer's mother requested a well-being check, telling police Weffer was mentally ill and off his medications, said Lara Jones, a Salt Lake City police spokeswoman.
[email protected]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is what HR 218 was intended for. Good job to the CPD officer...

·
Registered
71 Posts
He probably checked it with his luggage. I've done that, it's fairly easy and pain free. Also, a municipal officer can fly armed with a letter from his chief stating that he has a need for a readily accessible firearm either during the flight or immediately upon landing.

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
No way in hell am i going to check my firearm in my luggage. How many "less vital" items turn up missing from checked luggage? When I'm flying for work-related reasons, I keep my weapon on my person. My chief gladly provides the needed letter for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.