Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was actually plucked from another thread, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured it deserved it's own thread. So ......

What are your thoughts on off-duty carry? Do you carry all the time off-duty? Sometimes, depending on where you are going? Do you ever carry two guns off duty? (And why?)

Just curious as to what various cops do, and why.

*************************************************************************************

Originally Posted by spdawg0734
For example, many officers carry their weapons in church. ...... Anytime you go to some form of religious service, there is a very good chance that a police officer in your congregation is armed. You will never know if there is such an individual in your place of worship, until the wolf appears to massacre you and your loved ones.

...........told me about an officer he knew who was at a church massacre in Ft. Worth, Texas in 1999. In that incident, a mentally deranged individual came into the church and opened fire, gunning down fourteen people. He said that officer believed he could have saved every life that day if he had been carrying his gun. His own son was shot, and all he could do was throw himself on the boy's body and wait to die. That cop looked me in the eye and said, "Can you imagine how hard it would be to live with yourself after that?"
Stay Safe always remain a SHEEPDOG...never say BAHHHH

*****************************************************************************************

This might deserve its own thread, but .....

There actually was an incident in a church about 20 years ago, where an armed, off-duty Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff (a "jail Deputy" by the way - he was a new guy, Academy trained, but yet to complete his first assignment at a Custody facility before going to patrol) shot and killed a nut-case, after he went on a rampage, managed to kill a couple of people in the church, before the Deputy got off a well placed, approx 60 foot shot, from a S&W Model 66 2.5" bbl .357 revolver. Took the bad guy out clean before he could kill anyone else. (They found out later the bad guy was intending to kill the preacher, but the off duty cop got him first.) During the debriefing, some folks (including many other cops) WERE astounded that anyone would be carrying a gun in church; but I think the lesson is real clear.

MY gun goes with me EVERYWHERE. It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do not leave home without it. When I am at my kids soccer game I carry. In this day and age you never know what can happen.

The President of The United States and The Congress wants you to carry. That was the reason behind the LEO law with regards to trained on duty, off duty, and retired police officers being allowed to carry there weapon in most areas of all 50 states.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
I hardly ever used to carry off-duty. But nowadays, you're kinda silly if you carry your badge everywhere, but don't carry a gun for that 1-1000 incident. God forbid it ever happens, nobody out here really fantasizes about it, but you never know.
:/:
It's still a personal choice and many experienced people out here will also say you shouldn't without pepper or a lower level of force etc......Bottom line is carry something comfortable wearing and that you are safe drawing/shooting. A .22 that you practice with and is in a good holster, beats a .50 Desert Eagle that you shoot once a year and is a pain to carry.
:crazy:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Everywhere I go, without exception......it's all about giving yourself options. If you carry a badge and nothing else, you have turned yourself into a witness or bystander automatically. You have no recourse if the events turn against you or your family or friends...except the good will of the bad guy.

G

·
Unless I'm going to be consuming alcohol, the off-duty gun (Glock 26) goes with me everywhere. As someone else said, in today's society, you just never know when you're going to need it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a small Berretta .25 that I carry all the time. It fits in my back pocket like a wallet or in the side pocket of a pair of cargo pants/shorts.

I agree that even though it is a small caliber, it far easier to carry and consequently is with me more often than my duty weapon.

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Piper said:
I have a small Berretta .25 that I carry all the time. It fits in my back pocket like a wallet or in the side pocket of a pair of cargo pants/shorts.

I agree that even though it is a small caliber, it far easier to carry and consequently is with me more often than my duty weapon.
I also have frequently carried a Beretta .25 as an off-duty gun, despite the fact it is not technically an approved off-duty gun for my agency. But in low threat environments, where concealability is a primary factor, I think it is a great choice, and satisfies the first rule of gun-fighting. (The first rule of gun-fighting being: bring a gun.)

I have also considered getting the newer Beretta .32 (Tomcat, I think?). It seems only slightly bigger than the Beretta .25, and I'd guess that the stopping power of the .32 is at least a little better than the .25. But for everyday carry, it is usally either my trusty old S&W M-60 five shot .38 or my S&W M3913 9mm, both of which are Departmentally approved guns for me. (I much prefer carrying a Dept approved off duty gun whenever I can, which is most of the time..... much better CYA, "just in case".) My "HR218" gun, which goes with me when I travel, is almost always the S&W Model 60 .38, since it is both Departmentally approved, and pretty easy to conceal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have gone through phases in my career when I have carried and not carried off duty.

When I was a new Border Patrol Agent in San Diego, I carried my gun everywhere.

When I was in LA, I carried everywhere except going to the gym.

When I was in Idaho and Connecticut, I never carried.

I am now in DC and just came back from my kids open house and I carried, as I do everywhere.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
I try to carry all the time, except when Drinking. Can be a real pain in the ass but better to have and not need then to need and not have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I carry pretty much everywhere I go also, I believe in what a few have said, better to have it and not need it, then to not have it and need it! Right now I carry my duty issue Sig 40 caliber, but I'll probably buy something smaller to carry off duty soon.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
I just started carrying in the last 3 months or so. I thought about it and decided that it would be good to have just in case.....there are just too many wackos out there. I carry my S&W 99 .40 in the small of my back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I never leave home without it, even when I go out to let the dog drop a deuce in the yard I take it. Even out drinking. (not a good idea) Now I gotta teach the girlfriend to carry and be responsible enough not to leave it behind everywhere like she does with her phone wallet car keys etc etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.