Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon To All,

Just a heads up on November 19,2005 the nypd will be holding a test at UMASS AMHERST the test fee has been waived so if anyone is interested go go go and good luck nyc puts on about 1600-1700 plus every academy.

·
"Tinkerbell"
698 Posts
NBPD said:
Good Afternoon To All,

Just a heads up on November 19,2005 the nypd will be holding a test at UMASS AMHERST the test fee has been waived so if anyone is interested go go go and good luck nyc puts on about 1600-1700 plus every academy.
Just wondering when the filing date is to take the test in November. I know a couple of people who are interested in taking the test. Also do you know if the test in at UMASS Amherst or in Boston? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He/She is right its at umass boston on nov 19,2005 exam time is 11 am. Exam # is 5046. It shows when you click on the link all the alternate filing dates as well it goes from octorber 5 2005, all the way to jan 13, 2006, and feb,march all 2006 dates for exams as well. Good luck to anyone taking it alot of action in the city thats my hometown =] peace

·
Registered
13 Posts
NBPD said:
He/She is right its at umass boston on nov 19,2005 exam time is 11 am. Exam # is 5046. It shows when you click on the link all the alternate filing dates as well it goes from octorber 5 2005, all the way to jan 13, 2006, and feb,march all 2006 dates for exams as well. Good luck to anyone taking it alot of action in the city thats my hometown =] peace
I don't think there is a filing date/deadline- as the exam announcement says "Free Walk-in."

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is a free walk in test.

There's also going be a test at Salem State College on November 16th (1st Floor in the dining commons) For those interested, I believe they'll be there from 10 am on.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
MRC said:
It is a free walk in test.

There's also going be a test at Salem State College on November 16th (1st Floor in the dining commons) For those interested, I believe they'll be there from 10 am on.
Anyone have specifics on the times for the Salem test?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,711 Posts
Theres also an NYPD visit @ Massasoit (Brockton Campus) on Wednesday Nov 16th Noontime in Student Center. It is a formal recruitment event, no mention of any test though
:-k
Stop by and say hello. Watch out though, they kidnap the top candidates with this bus and we may not see you again until after you graduate the Academy!
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts

Sorry for the mis-information, there is no test at SSC, only at UMass. SSC is only going to be a "recruitment visit"

·
Registered
547 Posts
I signed up for the test at UMASS Boston for the 19th. Signs up all over BSC campus. Does anyone know how long this test would take? I'm supposed to be going away for the weekend but didn't realize it was the same day...still would like to take it.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,711 Posts
Badogg,

Please don't go!! NYC is no place for a wonderful person like you!
:ermm:

·
Registered
40 Posts
NYPD just signed a new contract, they start out below 30k a year, I think its around 25-26k for the first year, you top out around 60k. The cost of living is very high, so think about before you take the job. They have decent ot from what i've been told, unlimited sick, decent vac and personal time, but no benes such as quinn bill etc..., and you need a bachelors to make rank (sgt. lt. capt.) I think.

·
Registered
547 Posts
mpd61 said:
Badogg,

Please don't go!! NYC is no place for a wonderful person like you!
:ermm:
Hahaha...well thank you. I am just going to take the test though, probably won't actually go. Might as well take it since it's free and I have nothing better to do!!!

Thanks for your concern though!

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
s1w said:
NYPD just signed a new contract, they start out below 30k a year, I think its around 25-26k for the first year....
If that is true, that is barely above poverty level (maybe not even above) for NYC...
How do these new hires live in the city?
Even with a ton of OT. If you're earning the max ($26k), that's just shy of $13.00 an hour.

At 70 hours a week (every week of the year), that's $520.00 straight, another $585.00 in OT for a total of $1105.00 gross or $57-58k a year.

$60k a year is not the same in NYC as it is in other places in the country. And that's assuming the officer works his life away every single week of the year.

Unless there are other opportunities unmentioned, I can't see a quality of life for these officers until they get some rank.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Good point Koz. When I was working unarmed security, I was making more then $13/hr... yikes... and I live in Southern New Hampshire, not the cheapest place to live, but dirt cheap by NYC standards!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I just got this in my email box:

U-MASS BOSTON FREE WALK-IN NYC POLICE OFFICER EXAM

If you were unable to take the June or October 2005 NYC Police Exam or applied for the February 2006 NYC Police Exam, we would like to inform you of a free NYPD Exam taking place at the University of Massachusetts (Boston) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 at 11 am.

You are invited to participate; however, seating is very limited and on a first come first served basis.

The exam will be on:

Date: November 19, 2005

Time: 11:00 AM

Place: University of Massachusetts-Boston

Address: McCormack Building
100 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, MA 02125

The exam starts at 11AM so if you plan on attending, arrive early, as seating is not guaranteed.
Proper ID is required.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just a heads up for all of you wanting to take the test for the NYPD, starting pay is $25,000.00...A sanitation worker for NYC makes more than a NYPD rookie,$29,000.00...some trash for thought. Hell NYPD civilians(who are useless perps) make more than you not doing their job w/ holidays off!!! OT is tough to get, unlimited sick is not so great.

And with the low pay comes the perp recriuts from NYC, lets say they have a class the graduates 1600 officers, 2 out of 6 will get jammed up before they reach the end of probation. You are just a warm body to that city.

And you better come loaded with a savings account of over $5,000.00 if you just want to pay rent, pay for your uniforms(including dress uni's), pay for your noodles in a cup....because thats all you will be eating your first three years on the job...I sh+t you not.
I am by no means trashing the NYPD, the cops down there are the Best. It is a great stepping stone for a New Englander...if you keep your nose and your rep at the Pct clean. Just humble yourself, keep your mouth shut and your eyes open and learn...you can write your ticket to almost anywhere and that is the truth!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nahant PD has a former NYC officer. No officer lives in Manhatten, way to expensive. Most live in the far boroughs and on the islands (staten,LI). Long commuts. Two room apartments in Jersey City are $1500 - $2000 a month.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
masstony said:
Just a heads up for all of you wanting to take the test for the NYPD, starting pay is $25,000.00...A sanitation worker for NYC makes more than a NYPD rookie,$29,000.00...some trash for thought. Hell NYPD civilians(who are useless perps) make more than you not doing their job w/ holidays off!!! OT is tough to get, unlimited sick is not so great.

And with the low pay comes the perp recriuts from NYC, lets say they have a class the graduates 1600 officers, 2 out of 6 will get jammed up before they reach the end of probation. You are just a warm body to that city.

And you better come loaded with a savings account of over $5,000.00 if you just want to pay rent, pay for your uniforms(including dress uni's), pay for your noodles in a cup....because thats all you will be eating your first three years on the job...I sh+t you not.
I am by no means trashing the NYPD, the cops down there are the Best. It is a great stepping stone for a New Englander...if you keep your nose and your rep at the Pct clean. Just humble yourself, keep your mouth shut and your eyes open and learn...you can write your ticket to almost anywhere and that is the truth!!
How long is probation?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.