Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Southern Campus Cop
129 Posts
Just be sure not to accidentally put your knee anywhere near a suspect or you’ll be fired, charged, and sued into oblivion since they no longe have qualified immunity.

Big time hats off to anyone who’s willing to work there through all the bullshit they’ve got going on right now. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I’m not brave enough to do it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I’m
It goes up significantly after a few years.

In any case, anyone who’s even thinking about being a NYPD cop should have their head examined. The loss of qualified immunity was the final nail in the coffin.
i saw the steps. Regardless, how far do you think that money goes with the cost of living there. You’ll be working tons of OT to have any sort of fun / toys beyond your living expenses.

·
MassCops Member
306 Posts
In the current political climate, I think there is an interesting catch-22 for anyone who applies for a cop job in a major urban city which is controlled by Democrats: if you are squared away enough to pass the pre-employment tests and psychological exam, you really should be sharp enough not to even apply to one of these agencies. The politically appointed brass, and the left wing politicians that control them, will be the first to throw you under the bus when something looks a bit amiss on some bystander’s cell phone camera. And anyone that wants to go to work for a PD that has gotten rid of qualified immunity, really lacks the common sense and good judgement to be a cop. (Flame away, if you wish..... most of the old guys here will likely agree.) I think there are still great places to be a cop, be able to do good Police work, and be supported by your Brass and the entire community (minus the crooks and gangsters, of course) but big cities run by Democrats, especially in solidly Blue states, ain’t it. IMHO, Youngsters today, especially if you are willing to move, should be looking at medium to large PD’s or Sheriff’s Departments in places like ND, SD, Wyoming, Idaho, Florida, TN, Arkansas, etc.... those states should stay solidly red at least for the next 20 years or more. NYPD, and with no qualified immunity? Fuggagetabout-it!

·
Southern Campus Cop
129 Posts
I’ve always thought it was hilarious that the left cries that they want better trained and educated police officers, but then does things like slashing budgets, eliminating QI, and preventing cops from having proper defensive equipment. All that’s going to do is ensure that you get bottom of the barrel candidates, while the good cops that you supposedly want to hire all go to better agencies.

Nobody has ever gotten the best by paying less.

Also, $42,500 is crazy for NYC. My agency start $44,900 in North Carolina, where our cost of living is about 50% of that in NYC, and we get a take home car that saves us some expenses too. I know NYPD has good steps in place and all, but I don’t know how you’re supposed to survive the first couple years.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’m

i saw the steps. Regardless, how far do you think that money goes with the cost of living there. You’ll be working tons of OT to have any sort of fun / toys beyond your living expenses.
You’ll be working tons of OT, whether you want to, or not. NYPD is ridiculously understaffed and it’s only going to get worse.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
62 Posts
Don’t bother with nypd, it’s a complete waste of time. It will be a hell hole just like all the other blue cities. Shameless plug: maine needs officers, many of our departments offer great compensation and exciting career opportunities

·
MassCops Member
306 Posts
For those considering applying to NYPD.....

BTW, I am not bashing NYPD or it’s Officers. Before moving to CA from MA in the late 1970s, I considered applying to NYPD, but they weren’t hiring at the time. I’ve worked with several former NYPD officers at two (other) different LE agencies, and they were all good cops and great people. And every NYPD Officer that I have stopped and chatted with on my frequent visits to NYC over the decades, have been friendly and great folks. I just don’t think it’s the time for young people aspiring to be a cop to go to any of these large metropolitan agencies in Blue cities in blue states. If you are willing to move, there are plenty of places in the USA where cops are still appreciated by their communities, and their political overseers.

·
Southern Campus Cop
129 Posts
Every NYPD cop I’ve ever met has been fantastic. A lot of other agencies are going to get some great cops. We’ve even seen a flood of NYPD guys applying down here in NC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts