1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Officer was serving with the Army

Rocco Parascandola
Newsday, Melville, N.Y.

An NYPD undercover narcotics officer has been killed in Afghanistan, police said Thursday.
Officer Deon Taylor's family has been told that the 30-year-old U.S. Army reservist was killed in a roadside bombing that claimed the life of other soldiers, police said.
"On behalf of the New York Police Department, I express my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Police Officer Deon L. Taylor," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement. "Like so many of his fellow officers, Deon Taylor courageously served his city at home and his nation abroad."
Taylor lived in the Bronx with his mother and has an 8-year-old son. He was engaged to be married next summer, according to his uncle, NYPD Det. Mo Weathers.

Story From: Newsday

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NYPD Officer Killed in Afghanistan Mourned

AP Photo/David Karp

Pamela Taylor, center, mother of U.S. Army Sgt. Deon Taylor is comforted as she exits her son's funeral.

DANIEL EDWARD ROSEN
Newsday (New York)

Sgt. Deon Lamarr Taylor, the New York City police officer and Army National Guard reservist killed while serving his second tour of duty in Afghanistan, was remembered yesterday by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly as a heroic protector of his family, city and nation.
Taylor, 30, was killed by a roadside bomb Oct. 22 while serving in the Farah Province in Afghanistan. His body arrived from Afghanistan at LaGuardia Airport on Monday.
Kelly, addressing relatives, fellow officers and soldiers who filled the immense sanctuary of Manhattan's Riverside Church, praised Taylor's distinguished career as a transit cop and an undercover narcotics officer for the NYPD.
"On the streets, he was a natural," Kelly said. "He took the most dangerous drugs off the streets."
Bloomberg had words of comfort for Taylor's son, Da'Rue, 8.
"I was a young man when my father died, and I can still remember the feeling," said Bloomberg, whose father, Alexander, died in 1963. "But the tears do eventually turn to smiles."
Standing before the dozens of mourners, Bruce Jackson, a friend of Taylor's, read a letter of farewell Da'Rue had written: "I love you, Daddy, and I will keep you in my heart forever."
Taylor was born and reared in the Longwood section of the Bronx, the second of Pamela and Leon Taylor's three children. He graduated from Carrabec High School, a boarding school in Portland, Maine, and promptly enrolled in the Army, stationed at Fort Sill, Okla.
"To be a soldier was his life. It was in his blood," said Det. Darren J. Bullock, another friend. "He was eager to protect his family and friends from bullies. He would later go on to protect his homeland."
His tour brought him to Ground Zero following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, where he worked alongside NYPD officers to secure the site.
"He lived the Army's core values," said Maj. Gen. Joseph Taluto, adjutant general for the state of New York and commander of the 42nd Infantry Division of the New York Army National Guard. "He was loyal to his city, to his state, to his nation. He was loyal to his comrades-in-arms."
Taylor graduated from SUNY Old Westbury and joined the NYPD four years ago with the goal of becoming a detective. He first served in Transit District 3, where he worked midnights patrolling subways in upper Manhattan and the Bronx.
In August 2007 he was selected as an undercover narcotics officer in Patrol Borough Brooklyn North, a dangerous assignment that Taylor fearlessly executed.
"Deon Taylor loved life, but he hated drug dealers and crime more," said the Rev. Dr. Calvin O. Butts III, president of SUNY Old Westbury and longtime pastor of Abyssinian Baptist Church.
Taylor was among 258 members of the NYPD currently serving in the armed forces. Upon his return from Afghanistan, slated for next August, he was to marry his fiancee, Caitlin Casey.
He was buried in Long Island National Cemetery, Pinelawn.

Story From: Newsday

1 - 2 of 2 Posts