NYC dispatcher spent almost 8 hours on stroke call | MassCops

NYC dispatcher spent almost 8 hours on stroke call

Discussion in 'Dispatch / Communications' started by kwflatbed, Jun 16, 2013.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

NYC dispatcher spent almost 8 hours on stroke call

Published June 16, 2013
    Associated Press
    NEW YORK – A New York City emergency dispatcher is being hailed for spending nearly eight hours on the phone with a woman who had suffered a stroke while rescuers tried to pinpoint the woman's location.
    The New York Post reports dispatcher Joann Hilman-Payne took the call around 1 p.m. Monday and kept the line open until medics found the woman around 8:30 p.m.
    The Post[​IMG] reports Hilman-Payne's efforts are detailed in a letter from a dispatch captain seeking recognition for Hilman-Payne and her colleagues.
    The call was eventually traced to a Manhattan apartment where the woman was working as a housekeeper. She remains hospitalized

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/16/nyc-dispatcher-spent-almost-8-hours-on-stroke-call/?test=latestnews#ixzz2WNRVgPNB

diddy2003 likes this.
  2. OCKS

OCKS Guest

NY doesn't have E911 ? Good job though

3. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

GPS doesn't work well without a clear line of sight (include buildings or between buildings, which is most of NYC). It may have also been an older phone without GPS.

BxDetSgt likes this.
  4. OCKS

OCKS Guest

That's why I pay the extra 25 buck a month to have a good old fashion hard wire phone at my house.

5. GMass

GMass Guest

Even if you don't pay for service, your phone line must still be able to dial 911.

6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Sorry, I can't help it. The Devil made me do this.

frank likes this.
  7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Around here the headline would be:

Dispatcher works eight hour shift and only answers one call