numbers down | MassCops

numbers down

Discussion in 'Juvenile Corrections' started by DYSguy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

Just curious if any other DYS facilities are expierencing LOW numbers in the headcounts. My place is down to 6! Which is the lowest in this places history.
    I know the facility which inside another facility has a very low pop count also. What's going on? Not like kids aren't still getting into trouble.:confused: :shifty:

2. Rock

Rock Undefined

Obama's kindness has shown these kids the light.

3. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

LMAO thanks Rock I almost believe that,,, and the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy came over last night too.

Sorry to hear about your kid MTC. It's just a damn shame that this state is going soo soft. It almost makes you wonder if it's a $$ issue that they aren't being incarcerated/ detained. If I don't stand corrected that is Assault with a deadly wep /shod foot? hmm makes you wonder WTF is going on.

4. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I remember the good old days of bringing shitheads down to York St. in Springfield in the early 90's. I observed some old fashioned justice being served to the "yutes" from the staff there.

5. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I remeber when I was a kid, you were scared to death of getting in trouble or having to go to court. Now it seems like these kids think they are above everything and cant be touched. I'm starting to think they might be right.

6. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

I know why the numbers are down! The DYS kids who are committed are at all the psych hospitals. Because they are "mentally ill". Maybe true with some of them. I look at it this way, for a kid to be sent to a DYS jail in MA has had to do something very bad and or totally ignoring the judge. More then likely the DYS kids in jail belong in jail.

I don't like to shoot the messenger, I apologize if it seems like I am.

If your a prisoner in a County Jail/HOC or DOC place the only time your leaving that facility is if your going to court, being transferred, sentence is over or MEDICAL hospital visits or rare special circumstances.

As far as I know no private adult psychatric hospitals accept adult criminals who are currently incarcarated. The ones who are mentally ill go to Bridgewater or special units within the prison/HOC.

Why does DYS let kids out who are locked up to be admitted to private psychatric hospitals for treatment when all the adults end up in jail or Bridgewater???

7. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

I agree!

Sorry about your son, but see where the kid get's his morals from!

8. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

As far as I know there are no secure/ lock-up psych facilities in Ma. for Juveniles. " They would be detained/ held by DYS in the appropiate level of security program. Which basically means a low security facility with floor staff an clinicians to monitor the youth. (BS if you ask me)#-o

MTC it doesn't surprise me that a parent now a days would say or feel that way with the current "snitches get stiches" attitude people have. :mad: Almost wants you to think about selective breeding. (i.e. you 're too stupid to have kids)

From what we here inside is that the DYS commish is trying to do away with some of the more "jail like" facilties in the state. She doesn't believe that the states youthes should be housed in that type of enviroment.

I know for a fact that there are youthes convicted of murder 1 an murder 2 that are awaiting transfer from the Maximum secure unit in Plymouth to other less secure facilities in the states DYS program. There are also other youths in custody by DYS that are in less secure facilities awaiting trial for murder 1 and aggravated rape of a minor under 14. If the public only knew of how these kids are babied inside. It's almost a joke.
    The downfall to treating the kids like this is when they transfer to adult facilities, they get there asses kicked by adult inmates who won't/don't put up with that kind of stuff
    Most of these programs have video games, flat screen TV's, Videos/movies, candy. It's just a joke.

9. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

For them to even get to these facilities they have to be pretty bad since most judges are liberal in MA. Of course your not going to want to throw the book at a kid who stole a candy bar.

10. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

Ever think of that fact that almost 3 or 4 times a year a new program comes out to keep kids out of jail???

11. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

Ya you have a point there 94c, there are always a few new ones a year. But to see such a drastic reduction in less than a year, I find hard to believe that any such program has had such a dramitic effect. Not to mention um crime is on the rise not dropping, partly due to our current finacial times. I think rg1283 is right about the judges.

12. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

What I meant is that it's not the programs that are keeping them out of jail, but the programs being used instead of jail.

13. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

They don't THINK it. It's TRUE. A liberal court system has made it that way.

14. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

It's all just a DANM shame is what it is.

15. odin82

odin82 New Member

I work in inpatient locked psychiatric unit. Our clients are age group from 4 to 17. In the past 8 months i have seen a very big increase in a adolescent population being admitted . 90% of them are admitted right before their court dates and sentencing hearings( due to assaults, buglaries, attempted murders). They stay for a week due to a " Positive SI /HI " and they go back home instead to lock up.

16. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

I think it also has to do with the economy in a way. I have seen several kids released after thier pre-trial, to go home on a braclet. Mind you, thier charges are attemped murder, an "ADW w/Firearm". My hypothesis on this is it is cheaper to have them on a braclet, than to lock them up. That's my take on it.

17. otherstate329

otherstate329 MassCops Member

At MRU they are at 20 something kids ... down from 30-40. Metro DYS is tougher, they never send kids somewhere else. Everyone sends bad kids to them. Its a lock down facility and much like a jail. Sure things slide here and there, but overall when a kid is told they are are going to Metro Revocation Unit, they arent happy.

18. lpwpd722

lpwpd722 Maddy B's grammy

Don't foget the old saying "Children are the future" Boy, what a scary thought that is.

19. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Plymouth IS the jail. When Metro kids are beefing, or Taunton kids are rioting, they are sent to Plymouth. Theyre taken through adult booking, stripped, issued jail attire, and assigned a cell in FN-3 inside the PCCF. Thats the way it is.

20. otherstate329

otherstate329 MassCops Member

Agreed. If they assault a staff they go to Plymouth too. MRU is a little intense though. haha

21. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

I haven't posted in a while but can pretty much sum up the reason for the numbers up in two words: Jane Tewksbury.

3 years removed from as an administrator in a facility in the Southeast region, I'm still in contact with some of my former co-workers...and they're wondering if things can get any worse.

Yeah the numbers are WAY down but the units are being run by the inmates who are WELL aware of what the staff can and can't do in terms of discipline.

51A reports are filed on a regular basis so when kids act out, the consequences are minimal at best.

In short, a thankless job with lousy starting pay has become dreadful...

22. Garda79

Garda79 MassCops Member

its sad to see what is happening the juveniles today take no responsibilty for their actions. Most of the parents blame the cops when their kid gets in trouble. One of our guys caught a couple of kids that did a B and E on a local business after hours. One of the mommies came down to the station to file a complaint against the officer and claiming he had a hidden agenda because he lived near mommy and junior. I remember when I was a kid my bike got stolen when I was at a local mall and it was raining heavily when I discovered it missing. The Police Officer that took the report was nice enough to offer me a ride a home. The cruiser just happened to pull in front of the house as my dad was getting home from work. The first thought through my 12 year old mind was uh oh police car in front of the house Dad is gonna think I was up to no good and I will have trouble sitting down for a week. Luckily for me the Police Officer was nice enough to explain to my Dad what happened so I only got the lecture about how much that bike had cost and I was not getting another one. Looking back on it now its amazing how much things have changed in 18 years and not for the better

23. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

There are 2 ways people raise there kids it seems.

1.Teaching kids to take responsibility for their own actions, this is how I was raised.

2. Teaching your kids to blame everyone else but themselves (the teacher was mean, the police officer works in the same town I live in so it must be a conspiracy, etc.) for their own actions. Also to live off of welfare and tie up the offices that SHOULD be designed to help people who want to be helped and get off of public assistance. Not the other way around!

24. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

I've got to believe that one of the reasons are the depleted police numbers. Departments just don't have the manpower to cover all areas, and the juvenile crimes, knowing they only get probation and/or are treated with kid gloves (pun intended), get put on the back burner. Plus SRO's are eliminated to return to patrol.