Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on North Shore Community College Police? I see that they are hiring... the picture of the 86 Blazer "cruiser" on their website tells me that they might not be everyones first choice when looking for a police job...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not that much police work with them from what this lowly student has seen at the Danvers campus, more of a doorknob jiggler and a door opener when needed. I've heard things are different in Lynn, but I can't verify that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
EMcNeice";p="55326 said:
Anyone have any info on North Shore Community College Police? I see that they are hiring... the picture of the 86 Blazer "cruiser" on their website tells me that they might not be everyones first choice when looking for a police job...
Yeah EM, I was thinking the same thing... I'm going to be passing on this golden opportunity lol!

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Nothing good,i disagree. Its a police job if you are trying to start somewhere or elevate from security to police then go for it. It will get you closer to your goal, go there, play the game keep your mouth shut and build from there while getting free tuition and benefits, start building a L.E backround. When people ask me I say take what you can get and keep your head stright thats how myself and many others got started. My father has this saying he used to tell me when I was working security and shitty police jobs. Son, its chess, not checkers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree 100% that exposure is experience. BUT....this set up they have over there is horrible. They aren't respected, they aren't armed, and they have a very low budget to have more than one officer in a car (patrolling) at one time. In my opinion.. If you have police on your shoulder you should be armed. If not...go work for the mall.. It's the same position. NSCC is a commuter school...Next to nothing ever happens there.

I just think there are better opportunities out there...aside from "shitty police jobs." Look into a school that is armed...well maintained and one that lets you go there for free (4 years + ...not just 2) You want real exposure...not some glorified post guard position.

Just my 2 cents..... 8)

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
Copchicka911...As a officer at NSCC I'm going to fill you in a little bit more about NSCC...First off I'll admit that the place is far from perfect but it's a far cry better thatn some of the other colleges that have been mentioned...so I feel that some of your comments are a little out of line...First off we have more than one officer on duty at a time...Officers are more inside than outside...As far as nothing good will come from this place..well we've had a lot of officers move on to city...and state agencies from here...part of the problem here has been that the Old now retired Dean of Facliites didn't want us doing anything nor would he buy us anything...He has now retired and the new guy is allowing our chief do more and we're in the process revamping alot of things..it's slowly changing around here for the better...and as far as nothing going on well I also beg to differ...209A violations...weapons violations...thefts..mva's etc...does this happen everyday...no but it does happen...And as far as any educational incentive..you can go to any 4 year state school you want...you just have to pay fee's and buy books...any one else have a question NSCC PD..feel free to PM....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sgt. Jack...

I'm glad to hear things are getting better but I still hold my opinion on the job. I was at one time going to apply there myself but soon found out that you guys didn’t have the incentives if you may of a state/private college/ and or university. As with every college campus we deal with all sorts of crap and a lot of the time people don't look at CP's as "Real PO's"...As I said before I don’t think the job is worth it due to the fact that you guys aren't armed and have a very low budget. that gets in the way more so than it doesn't. I hope that one day you will be...you have a uniform and you put your lives on the line everyday.... So I can see where you feel the need to get territorial...but I'm just talking common knowledge...I went there..I saw the routine, and knew and talked with a few of your officers....If you want to move up as a PO ( higher than the college level)..you need to have to deal with the same functions and equiptment as a municipal or state officer. Colleges w/out firearms are looked at the same as a security position. Just look at the Lynn Campus and all the stuff that happens there, you guys have your hands tied most of the time just due to LPD/MBTA territory. This is not a bad thing..it's just a typical community college police department. No Disrespect to anyone. but if you scroll up I'm not the only one who stated their opinion.

But hey.. best of luck to you... :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
copchika911";p="55505 said:
Just look at the Lynn Campus and all the stuff that happens there, you guys have your hands tied most of the time just due to LPD/MBTA territory. :wink:
Umm...couple more things ..not sure what you meant by that....could you care to elaborate??....We have a pretty good working relationship with both agencies....and as far as the MBTA goes we do have authority over there...no were not chasing people up on the platforms of the commuter rail but make no mistake we have officers over there on a regular basis patrolling...Our focus is our students and our property...Lynn, and the MBTA aren't tying are hands at all....Now as far as the other stuff...First off as far as guns go there are a lot of other schools that are bigger and busier that don't have guns either..It seems to me that too many people get hung up on the whole gun thing...(ie no gun than not a real cop)...well the hand cuffs go on the same way....the arrest paperwork get's typed the same way...the trip to court is the same...the person you locked up gets put in a cell the same way....Should campus pd's be armed...YES they should...but until that happens I'm going to go out and do the job the best way that I can..until the school either gives me a gun or I move on to an armed dept...What I'm not going to do is have a gun or in this case a lack thereof determine the title of my position...if folks want to labor under the delusion that we're just security guards...we'll then that's their problem...one guy I know did that...and well let just say that he's still in the Middelton Jail..he's been there since September and he's not going to see daylight anytime soon...Oh and I didn't do it with a gun...just a computer keyboard..and some good old fashinon police work......Copchicka...I do understand where your coming from....and I respect your opinion....and there are days that things are slow here and we do turn keys...but ...and it just my thoughts(I'm not slamming anyone so don't take it that way)...and I might be wrong...about this.... but...there is more to be a cop than just driving a brand new Crown Vic..carring a gun...and having all the other nice things like some places have..Yes those things are important...but they shouldn't be the only things that define what the job is... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok you clearly didn't get what I was dropping. I was generalizing unarmed depts in general not just NSCC. I Could case less to discuss NSCC any further... The point is...and I'm very sure if you try to get on with a municipal department of the State Police you'll find this.....

In Massachusetts. UNLESS YOU'RE A VET...If you want to move up as a PO (higher than the college level)..You need to deal with the same functions and equipment as a municipal or state officer. Colleges w/out firearms are looked at the same as a security position in most cases.

If we're both trying to get on a municipal department and we both have the same stats (BA and the academy and we both work at colleges, we both score the same on the test etc) ...and I work at a department with firearms and you don't...In the LE world I would have "more experience" because I am armed on the job...practicing or in real life scenarios.

We live in Mass.. This isn't a pissing contest. This is reality.

Point Blank!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds kind of like MassArt, maybe not as bad though. As far as using a place that is horrible for a stepping stone, I advise against it, from personal experience. When you work at a slum, be it any job that sucks, you run the risk of ruining your career as much as it helping it in the long run. I don't consider it a stepping stone if someone is continuously sh*tting on you. So choose, but choose wisely.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Disturbed - the man speaks from experience; look at Jacks quote...
Sgt Jack";p="55500 said:
....As far as nothing good will come from this place..well we've had a lot of officers move on to city...and state agencies from here...
That doesn't look like a "career ender" to me...

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
DisturbedCop";p="55649 said:
Sounds kind of like MassArt, maybe not as bad though.
Well having read all the posts on MassArt and having a former ISO that was from Mass Art now working with us....it's alot better than Mass Art... :mrgreen: ..Now Copchicka I'm going to let you in on a little secret about the hiring process in Mass that goes on in alot of these towns to include mine As I am familar with it......alot of it has to do with WHO you know and NOT what you know....and as far as dealing with those so called "Real experience's"...I have...and just because you have a gun...DOESN'T mean you have more experience...All the gun is just another tool...nothing more...nothing less.....it doesn't give you experience.... that's the Reality

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
copchika911 wrote:

In Massachusetts. UNLESS YOU'RE A VET...If you want to move up as a PO (higher than the college level)..You need to deal with the same functions and equipment as a municipal or state officer. Colleges w/out firearms are looked at the same as a security position in most cases.

If we're both trying to get on a municipal department and we both have the same stats (BA and the academy and we both work at colleges, we both score the same on the test etc) ...and I work at a department with firearms and you don't...In the LE world I would have "more experience" because I am armed on the job...practicing or in real life scenarios.

We live in Mass.. This isn't a pissing contest. This is reality.

Point Blank!

WRONG, that is so NOT true. I went from a unarmed/police but acted like security postion to a armed postion. In my former dept we hired a woman who were form unarmed colleges police agencies. As a former administrator I see no truth in hiring someone over asnother person because one works for and unarmed dept while the other is armed.

Where did you get the idea that :

I'm sorry that just makes no sence at all, maybe some chiefs may think that way but very few im sure. I know many people that were unarmed campus/security officers that went to f/t municipalities

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did I suddenly start speaking in Spanish and not catch myself...?? Must've.......wow i really should stop that huh....

Right..I must be talking out of my ass....LOL...YOU'RE RIGHT, I'm Wrong!...I guess I'll see you in the same place doing the same thing with that attitude. As I said good luck! Whatever it takes to make you sleep at night...We're on the same team!!! Hello??? No where in my posts did I claim that my guns bigger than your gun...

Once again more mindless bickering that I don't need... You have your opinion and I have mine...and that's all she wrote! Case closed~

ADIOS! :twisted:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Sorry for the typos this is what happens when you are sipping a beer, talking on the Nextell and typing at the same time, lol.

G

·
Hey,

New talker long time listener ... I would have to agree with Sgt. Jack on this issue. In my experience, armed vs. unarmed doesn't make a whole lot of difference. What does however, is training and lots of it, because the more you have the less a new dept. is going to pay for you to get some. So my advice to anyone who is looking to get in this field, is take whatever you can get ... even if the job doesn't seem that great. For example I know that NSCC sends most PO's to the SSPO and that in itself can/will open other doors down the road.

I know it's not for everyone, it just depends on the person and what you want out of your career and how long your prepared to wait.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
As a student of NSCC also I can say aside from the student parking tickets for students in staff space, they walk around, open doors and deal with a dead battery or two at the Danvers Campus.
I am not dissing them, its just when you build a campus on the top of a hill in the middle of no where (relitivly speaking)......there is not much that is going to be going on anyway.

I have talked to a few of the PO's thier and they seem pretty level headed accept for one that I think was pulling my leg---or was just a whacker.

I have visted the Lynn campus once and all I can say is..............good luck cause your going to need it down there!! :shock: The movie Dangerous Minds pops into my head.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.