Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I gotta find out. For an academy that costs you around 4-8 grand, what do you actually get with a NPS type 2 cert. It seems to be the length of a full time academy, so will any states recognize it as such? If you do get hired full time as a NPS ranger, do you have to go back to the academy to get the type 1 cert? Also, if we have any NPS rangers on here, shoot me a PM, I wanna pick your brain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is not transferable with the exception of if you were going to work BLM Law Enforcement or Forest Service. Upon being hired on permanently you would have to go to FLETC for an additional 16 weeks, upon completion of FLETC you are subject to another probationary period, and another field training program.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That sounds like the kind of system that non-CS towns in MA used 5-10 years ago. We’ll run our own test, you can pay $100 to take it, but we won’t consider anyone not already certified. So please get a full time MPTC academy, at least a bachelors but preferably a masters in CJ, and then get in line with 300 other applicants for 2 projected vacancies.
At least the MPTC academy is good anywhere in MA and a few other states too

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like the kind of system that non-CS towns in MA used 5-10 years ago. We’ll run our own test, you can pay $100 to take it, but we won’t consider anyone not already certified. So please get a full time MPTC academy, at least a bachelors but preferably a masters in CJ, and then get in line with 300 other applicants for 2 projected vacancies.
At least the MPTC academy is good anywhere in MA and a few other states too
Thats what makes me nervous

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you looked into MA Enviro Police? Or Maine Game Wardens? I know MEP is super hard to get on to, but at least once you’re hired they send you to the academy. I know we have at least one MEP officer on here.
I don’t know much about Maine Game Wardens but there was a post about them on here recently and it looks like a decent job

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you looked into MA Enviro Police? Or Maine Game Wardens? I know MEP is super hard to get on to, but at least once you’re hired they send you to the academy. I know we have at least one MEP officer on here.
I don’t know much about Maine Game Wardens but there was a post about them on here recently and it looks like a decent job
I have looked at the Maine wardens, I made the posting :LOL:. The Fed seems to have better benefits, but im really open to anything. I didn't feel like wasting my time and hopes with MEP, they never hire.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have looked at the Maine wardens, I made the posting :LOL:. The Fed seems to have better benefits, but im really open to anything. I didn't feel like wasting my time and hopes with MEP, they never hire.
Getting a FT Fed slot is rare. Don’t waste your money on a non guaranteed PT slot.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lol didn’t see it was you. In some ways, those jobs look pretty awesome, going out and spending your shift on a boat/snowmobile/ATV how do you beat that. But I’ve been pretty spoiled working in an urban area where you have a partner most shifts and if you call for backup and you get 10 guys showing up 2 minutes later I just don’t know that I want to be out in the woods alone

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lol didn’t see it was you. In some ways, those jobs look pretty awesome, going out and spending your shift on a boat/snowmobile/ATV how do you beat that. But I’ve been pretty spoiled working in an urban area where you have a partner most shifts and if you call for backup and you get 10 guys showing up 2 minutes later I just don’t know that I want to be out in the woods alone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts