Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the memo's from the Texas ANG and all. Evidently there is a dispute to the authenticity...

here's a recently done overlay of the original memo and one done using Word today.

The darker one with spots is the original.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: Not sure if everyone has been following this "memo

While the font similarities/differences are certainly interesting, I just can't imagine a seasoned Officer writing like this in a memo, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

If one plans on 'back-dating', one doesn't put it in writing... :?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I guess my point is, the fonts and spacing being so much the same, I have little doubt that this "memo" wasn't made just a few weeks ago using mordern equipment.

While the font similarities/differences are certainly interesting, I just can't imagine a seasoned Officer writing like this in a memo, for obvious reasons.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts

I saw George Stephanopolis(SP??) talking about the forgery and apparently several forensic hand writing experts all reviewed the memo and a stated that the print appears to be from word processors which weren't available during that time frame, and that the "th" in "118th" weren't available on typewriters back then and once again was more common on word processors used at a later date. The Kerry Campaign is claiming they don't know squat about and that it is a ploy to make them look bad, and the bush admin is saying that it is an attempt to discredit the president by the Kerry Campaign. The race for presidency is getting bad!

PS who the hell would put out a memo saying that they were gonna forge paperwork??

·
Registered
372 Posts

EOD1 @ Sun 12 Sep said:
the "th" in "118th" weren't available on typewriters back then
That was my reaction when I first saw that, too. But, I wasn't available back then either. Plus, isn't the officer that wrote it now deceased? It would figure that whoever would create this would choose an author that couldn't be questioned on it. :-k

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

They were a good machine...typed my first reports on one back in the seventies! :shock:

·
Registered
334 Posts

VOR @ Tue 14 Sep 2004 21:34 said:
:eek:t:

WOW, way before my time, but I still have one of these. I think it's a Model C, which was first produced in 1959, before the Selectrics were available and marketed as "This is the new IBM electric". It weighs about 50 pounds and still works quite well. Every now and then the keys stick together, but it still crashes less than XP!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

I dunno about anyone else but I would never type a cover-my-ass memo on official (or offical looking) letterhead and have the subject of the memorandum be "CYA" give me a break.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

Too right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,657 Posts

Well now.............................................

Dan Rather with egg on his face, ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CBS=Commie broadcasting system
:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts

What I really find interesting is how it was an hour news special about these documents and Bush National Guard Story, but when Dan Rather makes an apology it was a quick blurb. Not on national primetime like the attack on Mr. Bush. I have heard grumblings that the Kerry Campaign has dirty hands on this. Whether or not the truth will ever come up time will tell, but I feel the Bush Camp will get help from this. Which is at least one good thing that came of a networks attempt to discredit a veterans service record.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

On 'Fox & Friends' this morning they showed a link between Burkitt/Barnes and Joe Lockhart/Marybeth Cahill(Kerry camp) and CBS' Mapes/Rather. The plot sickens...it appears the Kerry campaign had the info and the planned substance of the CBS telecast FIVE days before it aired!
(Kerry was thus able to coordinate his 'fortunate son' campaign with the CBS release)
By contrast, a whitehouse spokesman interviewed by Fox said they received the info the night before the telecast!

CBS: fair and balanced! :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.