Northeastern Univ. Police Officer | MassCops

Northeastern Univ. Police Officer

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Kilvinsky, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

University Police Officer
    Institution:
    Northeastern University

Category:
    Admin - Police and Public Safety

Posted:
    11/05/2020

Type:
    Full-Time

[​IMG]
    University Police Officer

About Northeastern:
    Founded in 1898, yadda, yadda, yadda.

About the Opportunity:
    The Northeastern University Police Department engages the community through a comprehensive program of police, emergency management, international security, crime prevention, emergency medical, and related public safety services to promote the conditions by which Northeastern University operates as intended throughout the world. The Department operates under the tenants of Procedural Justice and believes in continuous active engagement with members of our community, to prevent crime and increase the quality of life for those we serve.

Watch our recruitment video here

Responsibilities:
    Northeastern University Police Officers:
    • Maintain public order and enforce University Regulations and Massachusetts General Laws
    • Patrol University buildings and grounds to prevent crime and attend to public safety needs
    • Respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for service
    • Actively engage with the Northeastern University & local community
    • Investigate crimes, suspicious activity, or other incidents
    • Identify, apprehend, and participate in subsequent court proceedings of criminal offenders
    • Provide First Responder level medical assistance
    • Facilitate the movement of motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic
    • Provide detail coverage for worksites and university events
    • Attend required department training in addition to seeking out supplementary training focused on personal and professional development
    • Perform other duties as assigned
    Qualifications:
    • Applicants must be a graduate of a Full-Time MA State Police Academy, Full-Time MA State Police SSPO Academy, or Full-Time MPTC Academy or equivalent
    • High School diploma or GED equivalent
    • At least 21 years old
    • Strong written and oral communication skills with an aptitude for problem solving and customer service
    • Appointees must be eligible for appointment as a Special State Police Officer in accordance with M.G.L. ch.22 s. 63
    • Massachusetts Class A License to Carry
    • Massachusetts Driver's License
    • Candidates will be required to pass a comprehensive background check, psychological exam, drug test, and pre-employment medical exam
    • Applicants who completed an out-of-state recruit academy must apply for a permanent exemption through the Massachusetts State Police
    Preferred Qualifications:
    • Previous Police experience highly preferred
    • Bachelor's degree preferred
    Salary Grade:

Additional Information:
    Selection Process

The NUPD conducts a rolling application process for the University Police Officer position. Each hiring cycle remains active and open until all available positions have been filled

This position requires a panel interview, criminal background check, as well as a drug screening, medical exam and psychological exam. Once initiated, the selection process takes approximately 3 months.

If at any point during the selection process you are notified that you are not moving forward, applicants may reapply in the future.

Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.

All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.

To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.

To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/503021

jeid-fdd472cc950817439398d33c86b38bdf [​IMG]

APPLICATION INFORMATION
    Northeastern University

Online App. Form:
    https://apptrkr.com/2049319

2. whyde

whyde New Member

Is this the same posting from earlier in the year?

3. Kilvinsky

If it is, it was reposted

4. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

That place is.....different.

5. WMA7787

WMA7787 MassCops Member

Appears squared away. Not the case?

6. Beyou

Beyou New Member

If you dont have a connection inside or someone who can move the application to the high ranks...... you aint getting on...

7. Kilvinsky

I know in recent years, they've made some great strides. The difference between a LEADER in charge and a dictator, an indifferent clown only in it for the paycheck or a boob.

EUPD377 and Sgt Jack like this.
  8. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

They definitely appear squared away. I did spend years working next door at the Institute that starts with a W so I agree with Kilvinsky about the changes in management. My one observation and I'm not saying its bad or good but they do seem to like to go for adventures off the ranch quite a bit more than some of the other nearby schools. Given that they put out a recruiting video and appear to do quite a bit. I certainly would give them a look if any one's interested in either starting out, or continuing their career.

WMA7787, EUPD377 and Kilvinsky like this.
  9. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

I worked as an intern for them for a while. They do decent work, and if you want all the fun gizmos and gadgets, this is totally for you. The department has tons of money to burn, so you get the best equipment, but lots is also expected of you. Be prepared to take extra shifts for events frequently. On a side note, its defiantly not the quiet college posting, and you do end up doing lots each shift. Be aware that just like any other university, you will have to deal with pretentious people who think you're an idiot because they've got a PhD and you don't. The people are great, but its a big career STARTER, and they don't keep many people for too long. Community policing is HUGE here too. If you don't wanna spend a good amount of each shift interacting with young people, putting up the good image etc, this is not the place for you.
    If you do start there, you can (and are encouraged) to further your education at NEU, and its of no cost to you. Also, If you work there for a few years(I want to say 10) your children can go to NEU for free.

As a sum up, if you are social, hard working and friendly, this is a great place to start your career, or if you're thinking about starting a family.

10. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

All the guys I knew that worked there came over to BPD within the past 3 years. Theres 5 of them at my district alone.

11. Roy Fehler

No, they’re squared-away, they just seem to have a different culture than most PD’s.

WMA7787 likes this.
  12. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

....well that clears things up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Roy Fehler

I met one of their lieutenants at a social event, and he lost his shit when I used the term “junkie” to describe someone I had to use Narcan on. I mean, really lost his shit, tried to lecture me, until I told him GFY.

As I said, a much different culture.

USAF286, USAF3424, j809 and 1 other person like this.
  14. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Snowflakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

They did start their own academy in conjunction with the people's republic aka Cambridge....

USAF3424 likes this.
  16. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I watched those guys workout. Wouldnt call it an academy lol.

17. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

Unfortunately, I feel like this culture is starting to become more and more common in LE everywhere today. An officer I know who works for a big city agency here in NC got written up and lectured by her captain for daring to call a suspect a “motherfucker” as he was actively trying to pull her gun from its holster during a fight.

18. Kilvinsky

If he had ever had sex with a woman who had given birth, then the label was correct. I mean, did the Captain even INVESTIGATE this aspect of the issue. If not, that sounds like dereliction of duty. I mean, I'M a motherfucker and am more than happy to be called it.

19. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

Gonna be honest, these guys are super nice to work with, but if you’re used to traditional LE culture, it’s not here. These guys are big on PC culture. The younger guys always look to jump to MSP or BPD. The chief is huge on “changing policing” words like junkie get their command staff all riled up.