1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Matt Lynch/Daily News staff
MetroWest Daily News
Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 11:55 PM

NORTHBOROUGH - An employee at the Village Gun Shop on Rte. 9 accidentally shot himself in the hand Thursday afternoon while handling a .357-caliber handgun, police said.

The shop sells and buys guns, and the employee was in the process of examining a Smith & Wesson .357 when he accidentally fired it, said Northborough Detective Sgt. Brian Griffin.

"He was in the process of clearing the gun to make sure there was no ammunition in the gun," said Griffin. "There was still a bullet in the chamber and it accidentally discharged into his hand."

Griffin said the employee was taken by ambulance to UMass Memorial Center in Worcester.

Griffin said the shot was fired at about 3 p.m. Thursday. Police do not believe a crime occurred, he said.

"It appears to be a clear accident," he said. "Anytime a weapon is discharged, especially at a gun dealership, we investigate."

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/n...ough-gun-store-clerk-shoots-own-hand-with-357

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
"He was in the process of clearing the gun to make sure there was no ammunition in the gun," said Griffin. "There was still a bullet in the chamber and it accidentally discharged into his hand."
What part of the clearing process places your hand in front of the muzzle while you pull the trigger? I must have slept through that part of gun safety 101.

G

·
What part of the clearing process places your hand in front of the muzzle while you pull the trigger? I must have slept through that part of gun safety 101.
To break down a Glock, the firing pin must be down. A somewhat common mistake is that people will rack the slide, drop the magazine, then attempt to depress the takedown levers on the side of the slide. When they don't go down, the person squeezes the trigger with their hand still in front of the muzzle.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
To break down a Glock, the firing pin must be down. A somewhat common mistake is that people will rack the slide, drop the magazine, then attempt to depress the takedown levers on the side of the slide. When they don't go down, the person squeezes the trigger with their hand still in front of the muzzle.
Funny thing, I can break down a Glock without putting a body part in front of the muzzle. Contrary to popular belief, I have owned a couple of Glocks and I never placed my hand in front of the muzzle while pressing the trigger prior to field-stripping them. People sometimes just get sloppy, I guess.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well, anybody who messes around with a revolver without having the safety engaged is just plain foolish...:pinch:

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
I cant see anyone being shot accidentally especially with a revolver. To disarm it all you have to do is pull the pin, push spin wheel out. The trigger is not even part of the process.

Has to be shown once again!!!

G

·
Funny thing, I can break down a Glock without putting a body part in front of the muzzle. Contrary to popular belief, I have owned a couple of Glocks and I never placed my hand in front of the muzzle while pressing the trigger prior to field-stripping them. People sometimes just get sloppy, I guess.
I agree, but how many people have shot themselves unintentionally with a revolver, which in theory is idiot-proof?

G

·
i am the only one in this room qualified to carry the glock .40
Well, he did say "that I'm aware of".

Apparently he was wrong, because when I was the same age as those kids in class, I knew enough to not fool around with a gun, loaded or otherwise.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
1. 357 Mag revolver, or 357 Sig pistol there is NO excuse for discharging either into your own hand.
2. The Smith M&P can be taken down with out having to pull the trigger and release the striker (Take that Glock-Goobers!)
;)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
YOu still unload the S&W M&P before cleaning and disassembly.
That goes for ANY weapon... I'm just speaking in the context of a feature on a particular gun.
:D
I know a Police Officer who took off part of his finger with his Glock 21 while preparing to clean it at home. EVERYBODY needs to do it right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts