Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the state college pay scale, so please correct me if I'm wrong but according to this, a CPO III (Lieutenant), walks through the door at $37,000 and change. Does this mean that they are actually getting paid less than a veteran CPO I. If so, than that's a pretty screwed up system.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,710 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the state college pay scale, so please correct me if I'm wrong but according to this, a CPO III (Lieutenant), walks through the door at $37,000 and change. Does this mean that they are actually getting paid less than a veteran CPO I. If so, than that's a pretty screwed up system.
That's right! and they have nobody to thank but AFSCME!
I think these CPO III positions may be the only ones currently in the system?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe Worcester State College has that now.

I wonder if the CPOIII position that AFSCME finally assisted in bringing in are a result of two events (VA Tech type) and possibility of campus police seeking and forming another union to respresent them.

I was a CPOII and had always wondered why CPOIII wasn't available and that inorder for a chief to move a CPOII from a supervisory role with some administrative duties to a CPOIII with more administrative duties wasn't possible. I did find the CPOIII was actually listed in AFSCME as a Chief for a long time and the pay grade was 15 which today is now a CPOI. I think it just took colleges a long time to catch up ie... (VA Tech type incidents allowed a chief to convince the colleges that they needed the next level).

Anyway, I think a lot of college departments that needed that lieutentant and up simply had to make them non-union staff assistants which the colleges agreed to. I applied years ago to Westfield State for a lieutenant position which was listed as a staff assistant and not a CPOIII.

I didn't get the position but a CPOI did. It was after that I found out that they had CPOIs and no CPOIIs. An odd situation. The only thing that bothered me (of course not getting position did as well) was that a CPOI that had just graduated from the SSPO got a position over someone who was already a CPOII with a SSPO equivalent. Granted I wasn't a CPOII for long but I was a CPOI for four years at another residential state college.

Long story, this CPOIII may have some benefits because it still allows for overtime and benefits that a staff assistant does not. I am now a salaried staff assistant with no union or overtime opportunities. If something like this happened a few years ago, I would be a happy CPOIII right now.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
I don't know anyone looking to be a CPOIII but if your looking for a CIIIPO than I know a qualified candidate who's been out of work.

·
8,710 Posts
I wonder if the CPOIII position that AFSCME finally assisted in bringing in

I was a CPOII and had always wondered why CPOIII wasn't available I did find the CPOIII was actually listed in AFSCME as a Chief for a long time and the pay grade was 15 which today is now a CPOI.

Long story, this CPOIII may have some benefits because it still allows for overtime and benefits that a staff assistant does not. I am now a salaried staff assistant with no union or overtime opportunities. If something like this happened a few years ago, I would be a happy CPOIII right now.
1. CPO III was previously an approved position within the state system. Nobody was using it for the longest time.

2. CPO III was actually one grade higher than Chief. (Another reason it wasn't really used) CPO I and CPO II were used by DMH/DMR/DPH and State/community colleges. The grades varied by agency. For example in 2003 a CPOI at DMH was a grade 12 and at Massasoit a grade 13. Then The new contract awarded CPOI's to grade 14. Last couple of years I believe the DMH/DMR folks got grade 13's for their CPOI's. What agency is paying CPOI's at Grade 15?????

3. Giving AFSCME credit for "finally assisting in bringing in" CPO III is misleading. They should never have let it lapse for so long in the first place!
:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe it's me....it must be a typo. A Lieutenant only makes $37,000 per year! I don't care how small the department is, or how small the school is, that is crazy! I had no idea law enforcement officers at public colleges were so underpaid. I feel for you!! Maybe it's time to do some kicking and screaming to get rid of AFSCME once and for all!

·
Subscribing Member
2,550 Posts
That is chump change for the job they have to do, but then again the whole state college pay scale seems to be chump change.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I met the Lt. of that school he seemed like a nice guy. The supervisors are armed and they were supposed to become a fully armed department by the end of this year or so I was told. The main campus is in Lynn with a satellite campus in Danvers. I believe they have 4 Ford Explorers last time I was there. Seemed like a good stepping stone.

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
I met the Lt. of that school he seemed like a nice guy. The supervisors are armed and they were supposed to become a fully armed department by the end of this year or so I was told. The main campus is in Lynn with a satellite campus in Danvers. I believe they have 4 Ford Explorers last time I was there. Seemed like a good stepping stone.
As having just worked there for almost five years..I can fill you in a little bit...First off no one is armed as of yet but they are working very hard to make that happen....the deparment since I started there has made some good improvements...they have gone ahead and revamped their BI process so they're getting some good people and have for a while now...they do have some very good cruisers now compared to the "rolling death traps" that were there when I stared....the fleet right now consists of a 2007 Ford Explorer...2 05 Explorers and 1 2001 Chevy Blazer that actually runs pretty good....Officers are also given their own radio which came about last year....very nice considering we were using 10 year old ht1000's...the down sides are of course the pay and poor union representation by afscme....there is alot of mandatory overtime and you can wind up working alot....so be prepared for that....also keep in mind that you will have physical security duties ie locking doors...building and grounds checks....etc but you can make arrests from time to time...and you can build a decent resume if you want to put in a couple of years...Oh and Danvers is actually the main campus...anyone that has any questions can pm me if they want....

·
8,710 Posts
This could be a retirement job. I can't imagine I would get a take home.
You would get a pretty green AFSCME card to take home though! Hell! I left local #1067 two years ago, but just got my new 2008-2009 Membership card in the mail last week! Is it any wonder when they waste $$$ on postage and plastic cards for people who left years ago, that they can't act properly to represent cops!

:p

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been out of AFSCME for about 2 years as well and I still get the magazines. I must be in the rears for dues. I wonder if I am still a member :)

·
8,710 Posts
I've been out of AFSCME for about 2 years as well and I still get the magazines. I must be in the rears for dues. I wonder if I am still a member :)
Yeah dude! Isn't it the BALLS all the articles about helping the LPN's at the state homes in New Jersey, the city trash collectors in Michigan, the janitors at the city hall in Ohio, etc, etc.....

GO MCLEA:-D

·
Registered
843 Posts
As having just worked there for almost five years..I can fill you in a little bit...First off no one is armed as of yet but they are working very hard to make that happen....quote]

Interesting, the officer that I talked to must have embellished a little bit. He told me that the Sgts. were armed; Oh, well. I certainly hope that you do become a fully armed department, especially in Lynn. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I would agree that the State pay scale is very low...however the benies are better than most private sector jobs. 37,000 is very low for a Sergeants position.

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
As having just worked there for almost five years..I can fill you in a little bit...First off no one is armed as of yet but they are working very hard to make that happen....quote]

Interesting, the officer that I talked to must have embellished a little bit. He told me that the Sgts. were armed; Oh, well. I certainly hope that you do become a fully armed department, especially in Lynn. Good Luck.
That was talked about for sometime..starting with the Sgts and then after a period of time..going ahead and arming everyone....It would be nice if it happens for them....until then we'll have to see what plays out...

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
I would agree that the State pay scale is very low...however the benies are better than most private sector jobs. 37,000 is very low for a Sergeants position.
Good bennies and some pretty good departments but I don't think it even comes close to balancing out. I know money isn't everything but it's pretty darn important and if you're getting paid well below market value than your being poorly represented IMHO.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The bennies would have to be ridiculously, stupendously, deliciously out of this world to make up for that pay scale!! No matter how you slice it, there is no way that pie is big enough.

I honestly believe that you guys need to either make this MCLEA thing happen now...or seek other representation immediately!!:2c:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts