Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A man was shot and killed Monday afternoon after threatening two Guilford County, North Carolina deputies with a weapon outside a Pleasant Garden home, the sheriff said.
A deputy shot 25-year-old Dylan William Hartsfeld outside his residence at 307 E. Steeple Chase Road just before 4 p.m. after responding to a call of a domestic disturbance there, Guilford County Sheriff BJ Barnes said.
Hartsfeld was taken to Moses Cone Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival, the News & Record of Greensboro reported.
"This is the kind of day that no law enforcement administrator wants to have to deal with. Any time you have an officer-involved shooting, it's a sad day for everyone concerned," Barnes said.
Barnes said Hartsfeld approached two deputies outside with a weapon and came at them in a "threatening and menacing manner." One deputy opened fire on Hartsfeld.
The sheriff did not say what type of weapon Hartsfeld was armed with, citing an ongoing investigation by the State Bureau of Investigation.
Hartsfeld was at the home with his father, William, and an 8-year-old at the time of the domestic disturbance, Barnes said. The child is now with relatives.
William Hartsfeld said his son, a veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, fell down some steps and he called paramedics to assist him. He said Dylan, who suffered from a combat-related mental illness, didn't want to go to the hospital.
When deputies arrived, William Hartsfeld said his son became upset and began approaching the deputy.
"He had the revolver out and told my son to stop a few times," Hartsfeld said.
"I got in between both of them and told Dylan, 'Stop what you're doing; think about what is going on.' The officer moved me out of the way and opened fire."
Hartsfeld said to his knowledge, his son was not armed and that the deputy shot him three times in the chest from an arm's length away.
"In my opinion, he was not being threatened," William Hartsfeld said.
Barnes confirmed EMS and fire officials were already at the home when the shooting occurred but didn't say why they were there.
Barnes said Dylan Hartsfeld had an extensive criminal record that includes charges of larceny, drug possession and violation and assault on a female.
He was released from the Guilford County jail Sept. 13 after serving time for a conviction on the assault charge, Barnes said.
Barnes said Hartsfeld's home had been classified as a "Signal 0" location, meaning deputies are to use enhanced caution when responding to that address because of the nature of previous calls there.
The two deputies involved, who have not been publicly identified, have a combined 39 years of law enforcement experience and are highly decorated, the sheriff said.
Both have been placed on administrative leave, standard procedure when an officer is involved in a shooting.
Barnes said one deputy works in the legal process division, while the other is assigned to the District 2 office, which patrols southeastern Guilford.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts