Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when is the Beverly Police Dept. going to hire the first woman officer? The former Chief vowed that no woman would be appointed while he was Chief but he took an abrupt early retirement. There are a few well qualified candidates on the present list. :roll:

·
Registered
51 Posts
:yes: I agree with you shawnr76, I am a female officer and I do not like being hired because I will fill some quota. In my interviews I always stress "do not hire me just because I'm a female, hire me because you think I'm qualified to do the job. Don't get me wrong I think its great :L: to have a department with different races, sexes, & ages with different backgrounds, but don't hire just to fill a female spot or a specific race to make your department look good ](*,) , fill a quota with people who are qualified for the position. :sb:

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that I don't care HOW I get the job at this point, as long as I get it! Let's all admit it now, people, as it stands, the current hiring practices of this state are pretty dog-eat-dog. I've been going through this bull for years now, and I really don't care what it takes now.

And I know I am qualified on my own without my gender being an issue, but if I'm offered a position by a department that I would really like to work for just because I have a couple of ovaries (among other female attributes), I'll take it!

Sorry, but I'm getting old and I just don't care anymore. :(

G

·
There's another town out there in the same situation. Walpole as of last year had no female Police Officers within it's ranks. I don't believed they have hired since then as well.

It's not a persons gender that should be the deciding factor in the hiring process, it should be their score and overall proven job history that finally gets the job. I would stress quality over gender any day. Is it just me or am I being old fashioned here?? :-k

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,799 Posts
HousingCop said:
It's not a persons gender that should be the deciding factor in the hiring process, it should be their score and overall proven job history that finally gets the job. I would stress quality over gender any day. Is it just me or am I being old fashioned here?? :-k
No you're NOT being old-fashioned. You're just making plain sense. (miracles do happen)
[-o<

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
HousingCop said:
I would stress quality over gender any day. Is it just me or am I being old fashioned here?? :-k
Oh noooo, not at all... I absolutely agree with that statement. However, personally, I just don't give a rat's ass anymore. Time's ticking away here... if some department wants to hire me because they have a quota to fill, at this point that's fine with me! Their gender quota would only improve the quality of my life.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
The female in Walpole is a close friend of mine, like a sister. She loves it! She likes the department in whole and they're treating her quite fair. She locks 'em all up! :handcuff: She can hold her own too, tough girl - in great shape - she was my partner at a previous employer and I'd rather go to a brawl with her next to me than most other men. The money doesn't seem to be an issue as there is such an abundance of details (and at a decent rate too). She loves the town even though she grew up in central Ma. She's not a "job hopper", so she's there for the long run.

I agree with Melissa, hire the females because they are qualified - not because of their sex. There are plenty of them out there. Don't be fooled by a soft spoken female, she just might kick your ass.

Natick, Framingham and Maynard have some tough females too.

I'll be honest, A few years ago I used to doubt females in blue... but after what I've seen them do, there's not a doubt in my mind that they can do it just as good. And guys, lets all be honest, we can think of a few fellow males that we rather leave in the car during a brawl.... I can think of 1 who is now on NYPD - now that's scary! 8O

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.