No thin blue line in Bristol, NH | Page 2 | MassCops

No thin blue line in Bristol, NH

Discussion in 'New Hampshire' started by tssi11, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Drove down to Atlanta for the holidays and was VERY wearing of being stopped in one of the southern states, while carrying. Stopped at a rest area in NJ on the way home. A Trooper was randomly walking up to cars in the lot and talking to people, (no problem, good way to find "stuff"). He walks up to me, my brother and newphew while we stuffing our faces. Starts asking the typical questions, where ya coming from, all that. He did not seem to give a rats ass that I was on the job. Usually when I meet another cop, I get into a hour long or so converstaion about the job and what not and trade buisness cards, this guy had no interest.

2. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

Just for you info guys (and gals) a couple of years ago some officers in marked units were stopped and violated for speed on their way to the Police Memorial in D.C. The Commissioner of that state.....not 100% sure but may have been VA, ordered there be no slack cut. Never forget...we are not above the law...we are there to enforce it.

3. Andy0921

Andy0921 MassCops Member

I'm guessing you got the $100 infraction?
    </IMG>

4. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I looked up Bristol, NH. Its population is like 3K. This probably means that the officer was part-time. I have no idea of the exact situation, but is is probably not far off that they guy wasn't a cop a month ago and won't be one next month. I do not want to start a part-time/full-time argument. There are a couple of towns around me that have part-time cops. Some are better than others. This is my breakdown of them:

1/4= as good or better than an average full-time officer (many are seeking full-time)
    1/4 = Going thru the motions but ok in a pinch.
    1/4 = just want to carry a badge and gun and don't really know what they are doing
    1/4 = scary - work a few months until fired.

My town has a policy that if we have to go out of town for a detail, part-time cops are only allowed to work traffic jobs. We have found that they are just too unpredicable in other areas. The best part-timers are people with full-time criminal justice jobs that are looking for extra income or like the work. Court officers, probation, campus police, usuallly work out the best.

5. EXTRACOP

EXTRACOP Lost in the desert..

I wrote a parking ticket for a officer car [new car didn't know] my Lt. ordered me not to void it . all that should have known better stuff. I didn't feel good about it . This guy in NH just an ass!

6. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

I had the same experience with the Virginia State Police. All VSP troopers should be extended the same courtesy N.F.C.!!!!

7. DoD102

DoD102 MassCops Member

I had a similar experience in South Carolina on I95 outside Florence. I was on active duty in support of Nobel Eagle/Oper Enduring Freedom. I had been deployed to MacDill AFB in Florida as the Security shift supervisor of US Central Command. I was traveling home with my wife and two young boys. We were in a Fla registered rental. As we were NBD on 95 I saw a SC Trooper with a car stopped in the BDL. I was going 75 mph in a posted 70 mph zone. I pulled into the passing lane to give the Trooper room to work. He turned to go back to his car and stopped and gave me that stare you get when you know they're coming for you. It's a universal Trooper stare:) they must have a special seminar on that look alone! Anyway, sure enough he comes screaming up behind me and on with the lights. I can't pull over immediately due to a TT unit in the BDL so I pull up past the TT unit partially under a bridge. he comes up and asks for my license and reg. I explain it's a rental and it seemed that along with my Massachusetts license this created some "issue." The approx. 21 y/o Trooper say :Get out of the car. I do and he proceeds to put his little DI hat right on my forhead, actually touching me with it! So I do the natural thing and step back. He now has be against the guard rail, mind you my two young boys are watching this. They LOVE cops cuz dad is one and they believe as I always have that we take care of each other. This idiot is now yelling at me wanting to know what my "GD" problem is. I try to explain that I was moving over to give him room, I explain that I have been oin the job 23 years at that point, (mind you, about as long as he's been alive) and explain that I have credentials in the car. The next phrase frosted my ass big time! "I don't care about your F'ing credentials, you're a disgrace to the job" I lost it with this guy, who by the way was in my face with that cover again. I told him to give me the f'ing ticket so I can get on my way, and that if he touched me with that hat again he and I were going to have issues. I also asked for a supervisor to speak to but he refuse that info. He went back to his car, made a cell phone call, and after all that gave me a verbal and told me to "get out of SC." I was fuming!!! So, let me extend to any SC Trooper out there the invitation to come to my neck of the woods and I'll afford you the same courtesy. I guess my point after all that rambling, is there are some young cops out there who do not have a clue what the "Brotherhood" is. Those of us "old timers" who remember being paid $5.00/hr to work, having to work four jobs to feed our kids, we took care of each other and our families. I see that going by the wayside. Alot of these guys are out there for themselves now. I get selfish sometimes too, and I have to remind myself from time to time why I do this job, even after 26 years. For me it's still not the money. We're here to "serve" our communities. And as importantly, maybe even more so, to take care of each other and our families.

And Badge #4...I guess some old cops forget too. :)

8. PBC FL Cop

Thats an aweful story sarge!! I can still remember VSP Tpr R.F. Cruise's line some 16yrs ago, "I don't like to write police officers, but I'm writing YOU!!" What an a$$hole!!

9. phuzz01

phuzz01 Subscribing Member

It's sentiments like that that get the big inter-agency battles brewing. Just because one guy was an ahole, you are going to treat everyone in their agency the same way? The person that you stopped may not know the guy, and may not do things the same way. If I stopped someone from those agencies, I would treat them the same as I would any other cop...

10. MM1799

MM1799 Subscribing Member

You are all up in arms about the lack of "professional courtesy" and the disrespect shown to you by fellow officers in different states. Yet you list departments and names? How are you guys any better?

11. jarcop

jarcop New Member

I am working in a small NH town and I don't stop a car unless it's doing over 12 mph over. There is no way in hell I would write a cop. I don't care where they are from. When I stop a fellow cop..or for that matter cops who have stopped me, we not only don't write eachother, but feel bad for detaining eachother. It's almost like sorry for bothering you. Maybe I'm just lucky.

12. PBC FL Cop

I have never written a cop or a cops family member in my career, however I received zero consideration from Tpr R.F. Cruise (badge #1844) and the Virginia State Police, therefore if and when I were to encounter same, they would receive the exact same consideration. This is the same agency who stopped a contingency of NYPD cops in marked cruisers and in uniform on their way to assist in New Orleans.

I don't blame you, just don't expect the courtesy to be reciprocated.

13. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

What are you, 2 years old?

14. phuzz01

So again, even though the VSP has a few thousand troopers, you are going to be a jerk to all of them because of a bad experience with one of them? That is really childish...

I don't EXPECT it from anyone. If I get stopped and the officer chooses to give me a warning, I will gratefully accept it. If he chooses to issue a summons, I'll pay it just like everyone else. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be a dick to him, to everyone in his agency, to everyone in his state, or to everyone in his half of the country.

15. Robert35

Robert35 Subscribing Member

Very true Pictures were sent to Police Depts of the Traffic Stop. The Virginia State Police Stopped the Officers as they stated "Using Emergency Equipment (Lights) and driving in the Fast Speed lane not responding to an Emergency". If I can dig them up again and I am sure we have them at our Union I will PM to anyone.

16. PBC FL Cop

I guess you are just a righteous individual and I guess a cop shouldn't expect anything from you either.

Tpr Cruise is a representative of his agency and the few thousand troopers he considers his colleagues, therefore his actions reflect upon his agency, but unfortunately he wasn't the only VSP tpr I encountered during this experience. So again, the same consideration would be extended, but they, like you, shouldn't expect anything more.

17. phuzz01

You guess entirely wrong. I made it very clear that I treat ALL cops (regardless of what state or agency there are from) with the respect and courtesy they deserve. You were the one that was saying that you would not give certain police officers that courtesy.

There are jerks in every agency. I'm sure there are a few people in your agency that you wouldn't want "representing" you. If somebody from your agency did the same thing that Tpr Cruise did, are you saying that it should be open season on your entire department?

18. PBC FL Cop

If someone from my agency treated another officer in this manner, said person would have been corrected immediately. VSP condones this type of activity.

19. MM1799

MM1799 Subscribing Member

Well right now you are representing police officers in general; to the general public. And you are making us look like a bunch of winey 12yos who get angry because someone isn't playing "fairly" in the sandbox. Get over it.

If you've had this many experiences with the VSP -- to be able to generalize about the whole department, maybe you should learn how to drive.

20. lawdog671

lawdog671 MassCops Member

If you've had this many experiences with the VSP -- to be able to generalize about the whole department, maybe you should learn how to drive.

Ouch....lol

21. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

The Virginia State Police Stopped the Officers as they stated "Using Emergency Equipment (Lights) and driving in the Fast Speed lane not responding to an Emergency".

got that email a while back too. sounds like a tough crowd down in Virginia :(

22. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

It is a directive of the state of Virginia that there will be 0 tollerence against speeders
    no exceptions but some of the officers do push it to far.
    I have paid fines twice for 2 MPH over on route 95 both stops were troopers with
    attitudes.

23. OutOfManyOne

OutOfManyOne New Member

VSP sucks, I know six officers that received speeding tickets by VSP, even a MSP trooper got one from those guys. They just don't care but they are in deep doo doo, because everyone hates them, including every local and COunty PD in VA. They get gigged by everyone too.

24. PBC FL Cop

This was the only experience I personally had with the VSP and the only ticket I've ever received, but I know of a lot of others who had similar encounters, but its good to see you agree with their philosophy. I hear the VSP is hiring, you should probably look into it, sounds like you'll fit right in!!

25. Clouseau

Clouseau New Member

What's all this talk about professional courtesy? I've been a cop for years and have never given it or received it. I receive citations and issue other cops citations. Everyone is equal. Every cop I know states the same. It's just a myth. You guys should stop teasing the public and the media with these postings or eventually they're going to start believing it.