Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets get this debate started. I look though the final tour of duty section and see to many LODD's. :( :cry:

What can we do to reduce and eliminate the LODD's.
Lets hear your ideas. Do you think we need better equipment? Better training? A culture change in the department? Safer traffic stop procedures?

Come on lets hear it and get this debate started..........and hopefully save a brothers life.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with money meaning funds!!! All these lay offs and academy classes getting shot down because the state has no money !!!! And yet they keep spending the money on the crack heads and loosers that are killing our brothers and sisters out there on the street..... So to answer MONEY Not enough cops on the street = more dead cops plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Many Officers die each year as a result of suicide, alcoholism, stress, etc. In my opinion, these Officers need the help. There should be more support for Officers than we presently have. I have seen more Officers killed by booze and heart attacks than I have seen gunned down in the street. Just my opinion.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Politics
Special Interest
Our legal system (with regard to civil suits)
Funding
Super Cop Syndrome

It's a general lack of societal support that's killing police. I think 9/11 helped bring certain things to light but society as a whole is still not getting it. Often times POLITICS is a criterion that’s factored into decisions when it comes to police departments than efficacy and soundness of a decision. Too often I’ve seen a political decision, a union mandate, a fraternal requirement make what seemed to be an easy and sound policy decision turn into a nightmare.

Policing is about protecting the public at large and protecting those who protect us. It’s that simple. There is no place for sacrificing the safety of officers to satisfy a special interest group or to seem politically correct. Mayors, town administrators, selectmen should trust in their Chief Law Enforcement Officer. They should ensure that he or she is the best there is and give them the freedom, latitude, backing, and funds to do what they need to do. This micro management of police forces by people that have NO business even considering the issue kills me.

The US legal system is in DIRE need of reform for MANY reasons, lawsuits brought against officers for doing their job have NO place in this world. We should have direct protection against lawsuits if an officer has acted within the scope of his/her duty. Basically the world has TOO many lawyers and not enough police.

Funding for training and education, funding for support programs, better pay, more officers on the force, and better equipment are constant sore points for many departments. People expect the police to be there 24/7 -365 but are not willing to pay for such a service. They’ll buy support contracts for their PC’s and their TV’s, they’ll buy $4 coffee’s- but god forbid taxes have to go up to cover some of the needed expenses related law enforcement – you would think you were asking for their first born.

Lastly there is the super cop syndrome, unfortunately a concept often perpetuated by officers themselves in some cases. We load you up with responsibility, give you all kinds of gadgets and technology, daily you see some of the worst this world has to offer…and we expect you to be brave to never break. It’s an IMPOSSIBLE task. We forget there is a person behind the shield and we do not focus enough on his or her mental well being. We need you when our lives are the worst and often your life is overlooked.

Rant Over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.