Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AN ACT TO PROHIBIT INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE USE BY SWORN LAW OFFICERS.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Whereas, the misuse of language of a racial, gender, ethnic, origin or religion nature has frequently led to violent confrontations; and
Whereas, citizens have a God-given inalienable right not to be insulted by public servants whose compensation is provided by tax;
Therefore, regardless to any act to the contrary, this act shall make it unlawful and a violation of oath-of-office for any sworn law officers, i.e., police officers, state police, correctional officers, court officers, environment police, sheriff deputies, or any other sworn law officer to use or engage in the use thereof, during, or in the line of or course of duty language which cast a negative reflection toward an individual's race, color, ethnic origin, religion, economic status nor any other category of negative stereotyping.

SECTION 2. No racial slurs, name-callings, nor profanity used directed toward another individual shall be used in the course of, during or in the line of duty, and any such use of the same shall constitute a breach of the officer's sworn oath and shall constitute grounds for dismissal from further duties as a law officer.

http://www.state.ma.us/legis/bills/house/ht01555.htm

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I can see half the police officers in the state getting fired right now...ugh, sometimes I think we need to remind people that we don't need a law for everything. :roll:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must amend my favorite exclamation to be non offensive................

How about "Feathered feces flicker"
:L:

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
Give me a break. Are you SHITTIN ME??? :BM: Oops #-o I can see about speaking negatively about someone's race, ethnic background, etc. but profanity in general??

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whereas, citizens have a God-given inalienable right not to be insulted by public servants whose compensation is provided by tax
Most of the folks that I might happen to loose my cool with don't pay tax anyway and many of them are the recipients of state or federal subsidies. They should be excluded from the bill :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
I've said before and I'll say it again...WHERE THE [email protected] DO THESE PEOPLE COME FROM!!!!!!!!...And I'm sure it's their God given right to use explatives at us though...Seriously though I try to use Sir and Ma'm and be as profesional as possible but to try and pass a law...I think we've gone a little too far with the PC..Ultra sensitvity nonsense :FT:

·
Registered
968 Posts
How in thee hell can this be proved? You mean to tell me that every scumbag who comes into lockup is not gonna be saying "hey, the officer said a bad word to me", and then we can be dismissed from our duties. Excuse me for this but, our President was caught on tape saying that a certain someone is an asshole, should we impeach him.....he is the commander-in-chief. What's next, cotton handcuffs?, room service at lock up?, better yet....how about we tuck a mint under their pillows before they nap? I understand individual rights but if people want to complain that they don't like officers swearing at them, then STAY THE %&#@ OUT OF TROUBLE AND DO WHAT THE OFFICER ASKS.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
Who's gonna enforce this one.... the PC Police. Is Flynn trying to create another agency with this legislation?

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
mpc111 said:
Is Flynn trying to create another agency with this legislation?
Flynn isn't behind this one. Rep. Benjamin Swan (D-springfield) is. Maybe a few people will take an active step and drop Rep. Swan an e-mail at [email protected] or [email protected] or give his office a call at 617-722-2692, since I profoundly doubt Rep. Swan will read our opinions posted on the board.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
Irishpride,
I was just being a sarcastic wise-ass. Hopefully, my language isn't too offensive for the PC Posse. -Stay Safe

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
mpc111 said:
Irishpride,
I was just being a sarcastic wise-ass. Hopefully, my language isn't too offensive for the PC Posse. -Stay Safe
Your language is offensive to me. Please refrain from using the above vulgar term. The following substitutions are acceptable:

wise-buttocks
wise-bottom
wise-behind
wise-butt
wise-bumbum (or wise-bum)
wise-fanny
wise-gluteus maximus (or wise-glutes)
and wise-cheeks

:FM:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Why don't they have a law that people can't swear or be a rude jerk to a police officer. How about some people having respect for police officers, and how about making a law for that if some liberal wants to "wash our mouths out with soap" How about if you swear in front of a PO you get arrested. What's fair is fair, right???? What a bunch of a holes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trying to pass a law to stop cops from using bad language is ridiculous!

HOWEVER, the public perception of policing as true "profession" would be greatly advanced if some officers out there would learn how to conduct themselves like a "professional."

Courtesy of Webster:
Main Entry: pro·fes·sion·al
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1748
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

:sb:
To my point, explain to me how lowering yourself to the level of the person with whom your dealing (by using profanity) makes you more effective on the job? To do so simply shows a lack of self control and professionalism.

Example:
Not long ago I was in the financial district of Boston. I was waiting with about 50 other people to cross the street. There was a BPD Sergeant doing traffic and telling us when to cross etc. People do what they always do and pay little mind to the BPD Sergeant and start to cross without his permission. The Sergeant explodes into a profanity laden rant! He then proceeded to let everyone cross. You should have seen the faces of the people crossing the street after his little tantrum! Do you think his conduct improved the public perception of the BPD? As I crossed the street I stopped and told this Sergeant that I had never seen such a complete lack of professionalism, especially coming from an officer of his rank. He stared blankly back at me and said nothing.....because he knew I was right.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This would probably never pass Constitutional muster anyway. The Legislature can only pass laws that give a person "added" protections, not take them away. A P.O. is protected, at least last I checked, under the same Constitution everyone else is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, the people that we generally deal with (on a regular basis) are not Rhode Scholars. Some only know, respect, and understand, the language of the street.

Just out of curiosity, Massachusetts has solved our ever growing debt problems that our elected officials can spend time and energy on much needed bills/laws like this?

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Absolutely, Berkshirecop and Masstrooper; most of the people we have the pleasure of dealing with are not exactly geniuses. Yelling "GET THE FUCK DOWN!" or "DROP THE FUCKING KNIFE!" to some dirtbag often gets the point across quicker and easier than some washed-out PC version that might cause the clown to hesitate. In this sense it is better for the suspect and might cause him less chance of injury or death than limiting what officers can say. Besides I think the constitution still applies to us.....today anyways. :roll:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok, I can see where in a dangerous or high stress situation, the use of strong\profane language may serve to reinforce your commands. Is the use of profanity to aid in controlling a suspect taught in the MSP academy?

My comments were directed more at officers who somehow find it appropriate to use profanity during the course of a normal MV stop, or other low risk\stress encounter.

Ryan

·
Registered
174 Posts
MT1,
:shock:
I apparently did not phrase my question correctly. I was not trying to be sarcastic or in any way question seasoned officers like yourself, and certainly not to pass judgment. You convinced me of the usefulness of strong language in certain situations. As such, I was merely curious if this was a tactic taught for the purpose of confrontation management. I suppose it was a stupid question. This seems to be the type of thing one would learn in the field rather than the classroom, but my question was genuine in nature. No offense was intended. I apologize if it appeared otherwise.

Yes, I will do whatever I can to be part of the 78th RTT. I have no doubts about my direction.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts