Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No more *77?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bravo2-7 
#1 ·
I noticed Mass Highway changed all their signs from *77 to 911,
is *77 no longer in use?

Its programed as one of my hot-keys, and also is the only number set up that can be dialed when my phone is locked.

Just curious :p

#3 ·
I think it might have something to do with the update to the 911 system. In the near future if you call 911 from a cell phone it is supposed to ring at the city or town PSAP. They have had the technology to track cell phones for some time now, but now they have found a way to intergrate it with the 911 system. So when the new system goes into place if you dial *77 you will probably get the MSP, if you dial 911 it should track to the city or town that your calling from. At least that’s the plan.

#4 ·
The new change for the 911 system now allows for GPS locations to be obtained. GPS locations are given to the 911 center if a call is now made with a cellular phone that is equipped with GPS. Apparently all cell phones in production now are equipped with GPS.

#8 ·
I am not sure how Rhode Island is because they use one dispatch call center for the entire state. I know in MA right now it depends on the phone. Nextel You get the nearest tower. While Sprint and cingular you get either the exact location or the nearest intersection. I would think nextel would be more up to date unless the state is behind.

#10 ·
i had to call 911 from my cellphone when my daughter had a seizure about 3 weeks ago, remebering hearing about this 911 ringing at the PSAP where you are at as apposed to the SP and i have a GPS enabled Nextel and it still rang to the staties. thats nextel 4 ya!

#12 ·
USMCMP5811";p="64623 said:
Bravo2-7";p="64546 said:
Guys, It doesn't matter what type or company, GPS enabled or not, you dial 911 on a cell phone in Mass. its going to be answered by one of the three State Police Dispatch Centers.
Big Buffalo Nickle on that one Bravo........ Cant tell you how many cell 911 calls Ive answerd in the past 3 1/2 years that didn't go to the Grafton or Foxboro Barricks
Well, since neither the Grafton or Foxboro barracks has a cellular 911 PSAP, they wouldn't be going there anyway. However, no doubt you have answered many cell 911 calls over the years, either sent correctly or incorrectly by the MSP dispatchers, or out of Rhode Island, or misdirected by the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.