Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
MGL 90/6 covers number plates (license plates). $35 fine. It is a good CMVI to enforce.
There is a link on the left hand column of MASSCOPS main page to Ch 90 / CMR's.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, $35 fine Now would that be considered a moving violation and include a surcharge if the stop was made just to enforce the no front plate law?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What about a fine for someone, non-police officer, having an MPA plate on the front? Ever come across these people.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
the front plate to my car fell off in Nov 03 and I didn't a replacement till June 04. I never got pulled over or cited when I drove without it. As for the blue line plate, I think it depends on the discresion of the officer and whether he or she want's to screw you for it. They probably treat it as something that will bite you in the ass if you get pulled over for something else (i.e. seat belt laws)

G

·
What I don't get is how it's legal for officers to have a the MPA plate but at the same time not comply with the law if they have a red plate in the rear?

How should Mr private citizen comply with a law when those that are paid to uphold the law don't even follow it themselves?

--kC

·
Registered
294 Posts
Riggs";p="65791 said:
What about a fine for someone, non-police officer, having an MPA plate on the front? Ever come across these people.
You could charge receiving stolen property. I know of one person who was convicted of this for having an MPA sticker.

You would definately have this option (summons):

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/266-69.htm

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
bluesamurai22";p="66897 said:
Riggs";p="65791 said:
You could charge receiving stolen property. I know of one person who was convicted of this for having an MPA sticker.

You're out of your mind, don't teach people this non-sense. You charge someone with this shit and you will be the embarassement of your court, the case will be dismissed and you will look like a jerk for a very long time. Go find some real criminals. How can you charge receiving stolen property, how do you know it's stolen, was it reported stolen, do you have a record of it that it's stolen. Charge them with 90/6 if you have to and move on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with you J809. Those MPA Stickers are given out like candy to family, friends. You can even buy one on Ebay if your the highest bidder.

·
Registered
294 Posts
j809";p="66902 said:
bluesamurai22";p="66897 said:
Riggs";p="65791 said:

You're out of your mind, don't teach people this non-sense. You charge someone with this shit and you will be the embarassement of your court, the case will be dismissed and you will look like a jerk for a very long time. Go find some real criminals. How can you charge receiving stolen property, how do you know it's stolen, was it reported stolen, do you have a record of it that it's stolen. Charge them with 90/6 if you have to and move on.
Relax, it's just an option. I'm also pretty sure I'm not out of my mind but maybe you're on to something.

Some people might think writing a ticket for no front plate is a B.S. charge and some people even think traffic enforcement takes away from catching "real criminals". Everyone has different opinions on these things. It's all about knowing the law, knowing your otions and then using discretion and good sense to figure out what to do.

I personally wouldn't write a money ticket for no front plate but I might stop someone for it (as a pretext for catching real criminals). I would have less of a problem charging someone who is wrongfully using an MPA sticker than a person who was too lazy to put that second plate on their car. But I'm also different than some officers in that I don't get too worked up about second cousins, best friends, boyfriends and girlfriends using the stickers (even though they aren't supposed to have them).

But that's just me.

2 points:

1. You can prove receiving stolen property without knowing where it was stolen from and without having a report of it. See Comm. V. Cromwell

In the case I referenced the person was in fact convicted in a nearby district court for having a stolen MPA sticker. (This eventually led to his LTC denial. In his case this was a good thing as he had previously skated on several other charges.)

2. If you want a slam dunk case for receiving you can track the number on the sticker and see who it was issued to. If the number is removed you could easily liken it to removing a serial number or VIN in order to hide rightful ownership.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
bluesamurai22";p="66931 said:
[
Relax, it's just an option. I'm also pretty sure I'm not out of my mind but maybe you're on to something.

Some people might think writing a ticket for no front plate is a B.S. charge and some people even think traffic enforcement takes away from catching "real criminals". Everyone has different opinions on these things. It's all about knowing the law, knowing your otions and then using discretion and good sense to figure out what to do.

I personally wouldn't write a money ticket for no front plate but I might stop someone for it (as a pretext for catching real criminals). I would have less of a problem charging someone who is wrongfully using an MPA sticker than a person who was too lazy to put that second plate on their car. But I'm also different than some officers in that I don't get too worked up about second cousins, best friends, boyfriends and girlfriends using the stickers (even though they aren't supposed to have them).

But that's just me.

2 points:

1. You can prove receiving stolen property without knowing where it was stolen from and without having a report of it. See Comm. V. Cromwell

In the case I referenced the person was in fact convicted in a nearby district court for having a stolen MPA sticker. (This eventually led to his LTC denial. In his case this was a good thing as he had previously skated on several other charges.)

2. If you want a slam dunk case for receiving you can track the number on the sticker and see who it was issued to. If the number is removed you could easily liken it to removing a serial number or VIN in order to hide rightful ownership.
No........I'm sorry..................

You're definately out there. There's better things to do than waste resources tracking down and trying to pursue a conviction on a "stolen" MPA sticker. And BTW.....J809 once pulled me over for a front plate missing, but sent me on my way cuz I was wearing clean pajamas and had a clean shave (Seriously)

·
Registered
294 Posts
mpd61";p="66968 said:
No........I'm sorry..................

You're definately out there. There's better things to do than waste resources tracking down and trying to pursue a conviction on a "stolen" MPA sticker. And BTW.....J809 once pulled me over for a front plate missing, but sent me on my way cuz I was wearing clean pajamas and had a clean shave (Seriously)
OK, I guess I'm out there. It depends on who you are going after and why. The average person is usually just going to peel the sticker off and get a "don't do that again" but if I have someone who is a constant problem then I might "waste my time" on it. Again, that's just me.

BTW: What are you doing riding around in pajamas?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Bluesammy!!

I had rolled out of bed to pick up my wife (RN) at the E.R. and yes they were clean and stylish (Plaid-McGregor Clan pattern)

Mikey!!!!

I am a DVET and you actually ask me where my legs are? You're cruel dude! Pat would have been much more sensitive!
:wink:

·
Registered
294 Posts
mpd61";p="67204 said:
Bluesammy!!

I had rolled out of bed to pick up my wife (RN) at the E.R. and yes they were clean and stylish (Plaid-McGregor Clan pattern)
Pretty funny. Probably not the most embarrassing thing to be stopped in but close. :oops:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts